• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
It's getting towards that time when discussions are taking place with regards to new contracts. If you was the man in charge, who would you be showing the door this summer?

I'll start with:

Evans
Bouzid
Soares
Phillips
Herd
James-Lewis (Harsh, but PS obviously does not rate him)
Gilbert (Maybe)
Pato (Maybe)
Crawford (Maybe)

Last edited:
just bear in mind how hard its going to be for us to bring new bodies in (we cant even attract people on loan?)

Id go with
Bouzid
Soares
Phillips
Herd
Pato

Evans
Bouzid
Soares
Phillips
Herd
James-Lewis (Harsh, but PS obviously does not rate him)
Gilbert (Maybe)
Pato (Maybe)
Crawford (Maybe)

One of PS's first moves was to give MJL a professional contract, and I dare say he would've been included in the first team ahead of Woodyard had he not picked up the nasty injury earlier on in the season. I'd say we'll probably keep him on and maybe send him out on loan for six months.

I'd get rid of one of the senior keepers for sure. There's no need for three senior keepers now that Bentley has been offered a contract so, providing he signs on, Evans would be the one I'd get rid of.

Bouzid, Soares and Herd are as good as gone.

Gilbert and Phillips are both signed up for another year, are they not? I'd keep them around... Phillips looked to be finding his feet, then picked up another injury. I know that seems to be the story of his career, but I'd be hesitant to rely too much on Coughlan next season and so he'll be a useful body to have around. I'd keep Crawford around as another option, too.

Pato has to go... freeing his wages up is pivotal to any recruitment plans we may possess.

Anyone going to say Grant?....

If we get an offer of circa £200k for Grant, I'd take it. With Ferdinand, Easton, Sawyer, Woodyard, Stevens and Smith (not to mention Comminges), we have more than enough bodies in midfield and I don't actually think he's anywhere near as "vital" as some make out. Sure, he's a great player at this level and on his day there's few better, but a Sawyer/Kane/Easton trio looks to have the right amount of quality to suffice.

£200k would be pretty handy, too.

Last edited:
I'd agree with those. Phillips too injury prone and not amazing when he plays. Saying that I would like to see more of Crawford before passing judgement as he played really well on Saturday

I wonder if both keepers might go. Bouzid and Herd almost go without saying. I'm sure we'll try to move Paterson and Phillips on although both are under contract and there will be more attractive prospects for other sides to want to take on (with Paterson's wages and Phillips' injury record).

I doubt Gilbert is going anyway and I still think that PS reckons there's a decent player inside Soares somewhere.

Interesting comments.

Completely agree about Evans now that Bentley has signed on.
I do not think PS will consider keeping Johnny Herd, Soares, Prosser or Bouzid.
Crawford is one for the future and I would definitely keep.
Comminges I'm not sure what sort of contract he got, but think he will probably be moved on.
James-Lewis I think we get another year at it, his injury definitely stopped his progression.

Gilbert, Phillips and Pato all have another year on their contracts and do not have to go anywhere - they have contracts and unless RM decides to 'buy out these contracts' or someone comes in to buy them - they have another year on whatever wages the contract has agreed. There will be some wheeling and dealing, but bottom line is, if they don't want to go, they don't have to and we are 'legally obliged' to pay their wages.

Grant is a funny one. I believe he can play at a higher level, so would think that there could be offers for him in the summer - if there is, then again I believe he will go, regardless of contract. I also think that if Corr continues to score more goals and gets to say 25, then there will be offers for him in the summer.

When you start picking the bones out of it, we could lose 5/6 first team players (or more) and be left with half a team and a load of kids and scholars - because of this I do believe that there will be wholesale changes in the summer. We won't recognise the squad next season!

I also think that if Corr continues to score more goals and gets to say 25, then there will be offers for him in the summer.

I think there's a fair chance of this. Goalscoring 'big men' are in demand in the lower leagues - the likes of Grant Holt and Jon Parkin show that even if they were described as donkeys when they were linked with us. Players who can hold the ball up and put it away are hot property.

I think there's a fair chance of this. Goalscoring 'big men' are in demand in the lower leagues - the likes of Grant Holt and Jon Parkin show that even if they were described as donkeys when they were linked with us. Players who can hold the ball up and put it away are hot property.

Have to agree with this but surely we will also have to fend off lots of bids for Blair as its not about scoring goals being a front man is it? ;-)

I appreciate that i have not seen that many games this season (about 6) and as such my opinion is not going to be the most valued. However, amI the only one who would rather get rid of Morris than Evans? I was there when he(Evans) let in those two soft goals in the opening minutes against whoever, but I don't think Morris, who I have also seen, is any better. Besides, Morris is about 3ft tall in high heels, and we know all about short keepers...

Seriously though, I was well chuffed when we signed Rhys Evans, and whislt he hasn't had the greatest of times in goal, he hasn't been that bad, and I think he could get better.

I appreciate that i have not seen that many games this season (about 6) and as such my opinion is not going to be the most valued. However, amI the only one who would rather get rid of Morris than Evans? .

Probably, yes.

I appreciate that i have not seen that many games this season (about 6) and as such my opinion is not going to be the most valued. However, am I the only one who would rather get rid of Morris than Evans? I was there when he(Evans) let in those two soft goals in the opening minutes against whoever, but I don't think Morris, who I have also seen, is any better. Besides, Morris is about 3ft tall in high heels, and we know all about short keepers...

Seriously though, I was well chuffed when we signed Rhys Evans, and whislt he hasn't had the greatest of times in goal, he hasn't been that bad, and I think he could get better.

Probably, yes.

Agree with Mick. Anyone else agree with Chads?

My money would be on him still being a Southend player next season.

We'd want a decent sum for him and it'd be a brave manager who'd spend his transfer budget on a player with a long standing medical issue. If he has a second season of success and shows he can play 30+ games then it'll be a different matter (plus he'll be a free agent then anyway so no transfer fee to gamble on).

Agree with Mick. Anyone else agree with Chads?

Like I say, I've seen about 6 games this season, so I'm not in a position to make a proper view / observation. All I can say is that from what I've seen, as well as past reputation, I'm inclined to prefer Evans. You guys will have seen a lot more SUFC games than me this season, so I trust that I am probably wrong, and am happy to admit that.

Like I say, I've seen about 6 games this season, so I'm not in a position to make a proper view / observation. All I can say is that from what I've seen, as well as past reputation, I'm inclined to prefer Evans. You guys will have seen a lot more SUFC games than me this season, so I trust that I am probably wrong, and am happy to admit that.

Assessing keepers is possibly different to assessing strikers, but if it's any help I tend to find that one game (provided he scores in that game) is sufficient to castigate someone as the worse striker I've ever seen at this level.

Anyway, if we're going with Bentley as our back-up next year I'd be inclined to look for a new no.1 entirely.

Back