• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why do we leave contract renewals till the end of the season.

DTS

The Business
Cant work out if it due to the players choice as maybe they want to keep your options open? I cant believe that anyone at the club at say Christmas would have been any doubt we wanted to retain the G-Man.

I cant help but feel we should really have tied him up before it got to this stage (As I always do on FM).

Thoughts?

i reckon, in the case of the g man they must have had words with him start of last season at least, sounding him out on a new deal. im not sure this is that much of a shock to the management.

Yeah leaving Gower as we have does seem a bit strange. Perhaps they had fitness doubts or whatever and wanted to see how he did for the rest of the season.

Does seem odd though.

All depends on where the club will be the following season as to what kind of contracts they can offer

But surely you can say you get this amount if were in the Championship and this amount if were in league one.

That said I guess Gower fancied another crack at the championship and I dont blame him?

Gower was offered a contract early in the year, turned it down. Got offered another one, agreed it then came back and asked for more money. It was pretty obvious he's been tapped up.

Gower wanted one last pay day , who can blame him , great player but not worth breaking the wage structure for , we have seen the best of him and good luck to him in his further career.

I had a feeling he would go at the start of this season as he didn't exactly make it a secret he wanted one last pay day ,but didn't know and was surprised it ended up being Swansea.

Not a great deal we could of done as i personally don't think he warrents 5.5k a week and the club also couldn't match his demands.

Saying that though top bloke , top player and deserves his last shot at the CCC.

Cant work out if it due to the players choice as maybe they want to keep your options open? I cant believe that anyone at the club at say Christmas would have been any doubt we wanted to retain the G-Man.

I cant help but feel we should really have tied him up before it got to this stage (As I always do on FM).

Thoughts?

Why do we assume we leave it until the end of the season ?

Gowers contract has been discussed for months and Im sure it was discussed many months ago.

Just offering him a contract earlier doesnt make it likelier he will accept, he obviously wants to play at a higher level and would have held out until now anyway.

In January we didn't look like we were even in with a chance of Championship football next year, MG seems to want to play at the highest level possible so, as he is allowed to do in the last 6 months of his contract , wanted to speak to people who could offer him that chance.

its simple dave, we dont have a pot to **** in and its convinient for players to surprisingly leave after we have offered them a fantastic contract, hands up who really believe's we have any ambition???
our new ground has been granted, just missed out on promotion last year attendances at a modern day high?? and what do we get our fantastic chairman putting the big players we have up for sale, when they have said they don't want to leave, Im worried about the next couple of weeks with mk dons on the proul as well

Last edited:
Gowers contract was supposedly almost sorted around the time of the Forest home game.

There was no way we were going to be able to compete with a Championship sized contract offer.

I believe Adam Barrett signed a 4 year deal in the middle of last season.

We'd have done better to offer Gower the four year contract on inflated wages and pay Swansea to take Barrett of our hands in a we pay you to take one, get one (Harrold) free deal.

Offering one player a 4 year deal has given off the wrong message elsewhere in my very humble opinion, especially as it wasn't offered to anyone half decent.

hmm, Understand where your coming from orm but sentiment aside, gower was always a bit hit and miss. At least barrett lays it all on the line every week.

I believe Adam Barrett signed a 4 year deal in the middle of last season.

But other players have been offered improved deals and have chosen not to take them.

I can maybe see how some people think Barretts deal seemed excesive but.... With Barrett the club offered a 4 year deal to a player who has lived here for a good chunk of his life and whos wife works in the area as well. Shock horror Barrett didn't need to think twice. We have heard from Brush and Tilson how some players offer a lot off the pitch as well as on and maybe Barrett comes into that bracket. I personally think its fantastic to see a footballer who is contented with his job.

However Bailey and Clarke just do not have the links to the town so are quite rightly keeping their options open. When your newly married or single it must be a great position to be in.

I think you only have to look at the length of time Gower took to make his mind up that his move was more about playing at a higher level than money. He is not that old, but in terms of his career and his style of play he is kicking on a bit and he will be having to move his family. Those of us that have kids of school age will know is not easy.

All in all I think we have to accept that players move on and there is bugger all the club can do to stop it. Look back over Southends history and fans favourites have moved on. Some succesfull but some not so. Its what happens in football and there is very little managers can do to stop it.

Theres a certain manger in this country who is trying to keep a player after winning the Premiership and Champions League...and even after his illustrious 20 year career he is struggling. So lets not be to harsh on our club.

Back