• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Tuesday matches our record is
W 6 D 2 L 10

Saturday matches our record is
W 13 D 11 L 5

Wednesdays we've won one and drawn one, Fridays (which I might have lumped in with Saturdays) we've won one from one.

The significance of these stats is that the longer Sturrock has to prepare the team for a match the better he tends to do. For Tuesday matches he only has the Monday as a full-training day as they have Sunday off and a match Tuesday evening.

If this theory is correct, you'd expect us to do better in weekend games when we don't have the interruption of a midweek match and lo and behold

W 7 D 2 L 1.

So how does last year's stats look:

Weekend matches
W 21 D 8 L 10

Tuesday matches
W 7 D 3 L 6

Wednesday matches drawn 1

With a week to prepare in between (ie Sat to at least Fri)

W 16 D 3 L 5

It's the same pattern again.

Next season the season starts earlier and ends later. We are unlikely to repeat this year's cup successes. He's going to have more time to prepare the team.

ps Stats might contain one or two errors as I've only done a quick tally, but it should be within a reasonable margin of error.

Tuesday matches our record is
W 6 D 2 L 10

Saturday matches our record is
W 13 D 11 L 5

Wednesdays we've won one and drawn one, Fridays (which I might have lumped in with Saturdays) we've won one from one.

The significance of these stats is that the longer Sturrock has to prepare the team for a match the better he tends to do. For Tuesday matches he only has the Monday as a full-training day as they have Sunday off and a match Tuesday evening.

If this theory is correct, you'd expect us to do better in weekend games when we don't have the interruption of a midweek match and lo and behold

W 7 D 2 L 1.

So how does last year's stats look:

Weekend matches
W 21 D 8 L 10

Tuesday matches
W 7 D 3 L 6

Wednesday matches drawn 1

With a week to prepare in between (ie Sat to at least Fri)

W 16 D 3 L 5

It's the same pattern again.

Next season the season starts earlier and ends later. We are unlikely to repeat this year's cup successes. He's going to have more time to prepare the team.

Whoever is our manager, if the league is our number one priority and cup success second by a long way, then we should play more fringe players in cup matches next season (always assuming we have enough fit players at any given time to do this).

Well, I've recently proposed a new thread with an alternative idea as to why our promotion push has faltered again this year.
I'm not sure whether my efforts will attract any more attention than your own. Perhaps people are just so p****d off at the moment that they can't be arsed to consider the reasons for our apparent failure.

Whoever is our manager, if the league is our number one priority and cup success second by a long way, then we should play more fringe players in cup matches next season (always assuming we have enough fit players at any given time to do this).

The moaners will still moan.

Think the answer is in the "HMRC v SUFC" fixture on Monday, which very sadly has far more to do with our League 2 status than anything that Mr S (ar any other Southend Manager) can influence in our current state! For the record, I think that PS has performed nothing short of a small miracle in what he has achieved for us.

Dare I say it, but with a secure set of finances behind the scenes, then suddenly we are a club going places. As things stand, that isnt the case, and isnt likely to be the case any time soon.

On this basis, a trip to wembley on 7th April and another season of league 2 dross is the best we can look forward to.

Back