• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Continuing our run of decent referees, the man in charge tomorrow is Andy Madley from Ossett in West Yorkshire.

He is the brother of Bobby Madley, the SG Premiership referee (who did our game against Chesterfield earlier in the year) and there are plenty who say Andy is the better referee of the two.

He is in his third season, has refereed exactly 100 matches since his appointment as a League referee and 22 of these have been Championship matches; this represents exceptional progress.

His card count is just about as average as they come with 99 yellows and 4 reds from 34 matches this season.

This is the bit where I tell you about his previous Southend matches but there is none. It will be his Shrimpers debut in the middle although he did run the line at Scunthorpe in 2008/9 and was 4th Official at Shrewsbury a couple of years ago.

The rest of the team come from north, south and west with Ashvin Degnarain from Islington and the short, bald John Magill from Colchester as assistants and Carl Brook from St Leonards in East Sussex doing the numbers board.

Is there now a policy of mixing it with refs?
I ask as we used to get the same guys repeatedly and of late we are getting a larger selection.
And, as you state, we have had some good refs fir a few recent games.

A lino from Colchester, I thought they were meant to be neutral:winking:. Still talking of short bald officials reminds me of Roger Kirkpatrick who sadly passed away in 2012 I think. He was respected and admired by majority of fans wherever he was in charge as I recall.

A lino from Colchester, I thought they were meant to be neutral:winking:. Still talking of short bald officials reminds me of Roger Kirkpatrick who sadly passed away in 2012 I think. He was respected and admired by majority of fans wherever he was in charge as I recall.

Worth a look. The referee features more prominently towards the end.

nostalgia - click here

Not sure how his particular style would fit with the current Premiership .... or his 21 guineas plus expenses fee.

i thought a lot of the 50/50 decisions went to them, but he got the pen right, and no red card, which was good. liked how he talked to the players, let a lot go which is prob right in L2 otherwise there'd be a foul every 10 secs. thought he could have protected lennie a bit more though

Far too weak, let far too much go and was taken in by the appalling tactics of the Dons' #37 :thumbdown:

Whatt rankles me about refs is this ref let things of sillyness pass with words: and a few games ago another ref red carded Barry for similar silly ness.
It is the too wide range of styles and consistency which causes frustration and makes it their difficult job harder: they have FA directions and are assessed etc so which ref got it right?

Back