• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wireless Network problem

Pubey

Hi all,

So basically I've got a Sky (Sagem) wireless router down in our lounge (where our telephone point) and it works fine. I've run a long Cat5 cable around the house to our very top (attic) room because the wireless network doesn't stretch to there and I want to use it as an office. Plugging a computer into this works fine. However from my old house I've got a Netgear WGR614 router. I want to plug this router into the cable in my top room, so that I can use the wireless network that it provides.

So I've tried doing this, by plugging the Cat5 cable into the Netgear router in one of the LAN ports and the old Wireless SSID that I had with this router (called Tilly!) has popped up. It seemed to connect ok but I'm not 100% sure because you can still sometimes get coverage from the original network downstairs. When i try to log in to the router (192.168.0.1) it brings up the downstairs router settings - no matter what I do (by turning different things on and off) I can't seem to access the settings for the Netgear router. Apparently I have to make some changes to Subnets and turn off DHCP or something to get it configured as a Wireless Access Point for my main Wireless network.

It's all very confusing, and google hasn't really helped. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Both devices are using the same ip address by sound of it. You need to assign a static Ip address to the one upstairs and turn off dhcp. Plus the default gateway the upstairs one is giving out might be wrong.

So :

(Im assuming your downstairs network is using 192.168.0.x IP addresses.)

Reset the one upstairs (reset button on back no doubt)
Disconnect it from cable.
Connect a PC to it which should then be given an IP address.
Connect to the router using http:\\192.168.0.1 user name and password probably admin/admin admin/password or admin/blank.
Go to wireless settings and set up the SSID and preshared key.
Go to network settings and give it a static IP address, eg
subnet 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.0.1 (ie the router downstairs so it uses it to go to the internet)

Turn of dhcp server.

Reboot it and connect it to the cable.

When it has restarted you should be able to connect to the interweb using it.

If not turn it off and on again.:smile:

Thanks Jam Man, I figured it out this morning, I needed to unplug the top router from the bottom one and so I could access the top routers settings, from there it was easy!

Cheers

Thanks Jam Man, I figured it out this morning, I needed to unplug the top router from the bottom one and so I could access the top routers settings, from there it was easy!

Cheers

Christ you could have said that before I typed all that lol.

Good stuff, its pretty straight forward once you get the basics.

Too late now but in case anyone else reads this, an alternative to running cat5 cables is to use a powerline adaptor. They use your electricity circuit and just require a plug socket each end. Used them a few times where Cat5 would be a nightmare. You can also get them where the 2nd unit is wireless to save using a router

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1338472956&sr=1-1

Too late now but in case anyone else reads this, an alternative to running cat5 cables is to use a powerline adaptor. They use your electricity circuit and just require a plug socket each end. Used them a few times where Cat5 would be a nightmare. You can also get them where the 2nd unit is wireless to save using a router

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1338472956&sr=1-1

Sorry, I forgot that it was still on here... i've still got that bug where certain threads don't seem to show on the 'what's new' panel so it slipped my mind to say I'd sorted it. Your instructions are really handy and I haven't fully tested it out yet so it may still help!:smile:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but a powerline adaptor is only useful if the two sockets are on the same ring main? In my house, which has a screwed up wiring system this may or may not be the case.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but a powerline adaptor is only useful if the two sockets are on the same ring main? In my house, which has a screwed up wiring system this may or may not be the case.

Hmm, not sure. Obviously all your power comes initially from the same point before it's split into sub ring mains.

Not an electrician so not sure how houses are wired will of course need to be a physical link in the wiring for them to work.

Im in a 1930s house with lots weird wiring and works ok on mine and last week installed them into an old town house without any problems.

They can be hit and miss depending on the wiring but Ive never had an issue with them so far.

Not an electrician so not sure how houses are wired will of course need to be a physical link in the wiring for them to work.

Im in a 1930s house with lots weird wiring and works ok on mine and last week installed them into an old town house without any problems.

They can be hit and miss depending on the wiring but Ive never had an issue with them so far.

That's good to know, because I would love to network my whole house, but I may not need to. I have also had a look on various web sites, and none of them list different ring mains as an issue. It seems I may have been given duff information...

Back