• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Woking 0-2 Southend United

from their forum;

Credit to Southend. They battled and niggled, they're strong, wiley, fit and sharp with a squad that's smaller than our injured list. Thats a proper league club with great fans.

Are we a bit too Surrey!
Any other comments from their forum about the Southend fans?

I was surprised to see Woking in such a poor state, considering they’ve not only been a good team over the last couple of seasons, but a bit of a thorn in our sides, with it.
IIRC in our first 3 games with them in this league, they were a tall side who hit the ground more than Frank Bruno did, & used all the cheating tactics they could?.
What goes around comes around ( eventually ), & their position in this division shows what a weak div it is ( apart from Chesterfield? ) , which must give us hope despite our minus 10 pts ( thank you lying 'Rat' ) ?.

A perfect performance today what a joy to see so many shrimpers in attendance.What was the security to get in all about a bit of an overreaction hopefully every one got in before kickoff
I asked one of the stewards why there were so many and why the attention we got before the game. The response was that they were worried that the Southend supporters would kick off if the news last week hadn't been good.

Good day out & great to see some faces I've not seen for years like Matt Walker.

As for the game Woking pressed us unlike Oxford on Tuesday but could still be playing now & wouldn't have scored. They did cause a few scrambles at the back it needed some telescopic leg tackles by Taylor & Kensdale to keep them at bay on occasions.

The new keeper is mahoosive so looked commanding in the air but sound all round.
Gus was just Gus-like. Taylor & Kensdale solid as rocks. Jason Duracelliou just doesn't stop.
Coker had a blinder in midfield & was my MoM. Husin, Miley & Bridge tidied everything up & were creative when they needed to be.
Wood was lively & probably unlucky to be hooked when he was but it gave Kanu 30 mins. He looked lively & strong for his build. He took up some good positions & could work well with Cards. Cards battled for everything right through & looks full of confidence.

One small pointer to the fantastic team spirit the guys have was with about 15 mins to go. We were trying to get the ball down our left side out of defence & it came to Kanu who battled with 2 or 3 of their players, went down a couple of times, got up, tried hard to keep the ball & eventually got a free kick. At least 5 of the guys ran over & clapped him on the back for the way he fought for it. Only a small victory in getting a free kick but shows the ethos the team have.

Perhaps I won't wait so long until the next away appearance. 🤣

A really excellent performance AGAIN all round.Cardwell and Scott Morris work so well together and the latter is great on the overlap down the right. Hayes solid and I liked Kanu fighting for the ball with some useful skills and a great cross which, bar their keeper's boatrace would have been in the back of the net courtesy of 'Arry. Vanarama coverage was good albeit with Surrey commentary. Defensively we were rock solid and the midfield pushed on to make a number of chances.Ollie worked like a terrier all afternoon, which probably explains why the commentator kept referring to him as "Cocker"!! Both he and Wood were very good, as were they all. When are the Hollywood screenwriters goimg to pick this season up as the ultimate feel good movie? Handsome hero, wicked evil tight fisted baddie, Knight in Shining Armour on a kangaroo, the Three Wise Men, a team fighting to survive and winning against all the odds and a regular cast of 5500+ extras at home and hundreds away. Onwards. COYB!!!

I was surprised to see Woking in such a poor state, considering they’ve not only been a good team over the last couple of seasons, but a bit of a thorn in our sides, with it. But we absolutely bossed that game from start to finish and nobody could argue we were good value for money.

It’s hard not to be a proud Shrimper right now. It’s certainly been a while. From the pub before the game, to the show of appreciation at the final whistle, it just feels superb being a Southend fan at the moment. The togetherness and unity on display between the club and the fans is probably the strongest I’ve ever known it.

Out-****ing-standing.

Was good to see @Swiss Tony and @TrueBlue today, too. Good lads.

Are you sure you met Scott? 😂

What a team.
bloody fantastic

we played so so well today, in fact we looked very much a good as notts county were playing last season, and I thought they were mustard when we were away.

I was by the half way line today when Kanu came steaming in right in front of us and he did look very strong, would not be pushed of the ball at all.
he faught tooth and nail to keep the ball or to get the back, which he mostly did.
He looked a very tasty player indeed
and would really compliment our already fantastic team.

we played soooo well today, that I might even have to put a wager down on the mighty SUFC reaching the playoffs.
A wager? I wonder if that could be considered insider trading ! Know it's going to happen !

Guess the only downside to the afternoon was trying to get into the stadium. Never been to a ground especially at this level where it’s so hard to enter the ground. Sniffer dogs, everything searched including wallets. We are hardly Millwall. They told me that they had removed two knives, find that hard to believe but guess you never know these days

Guess the only downside to the afternoon was trying to get into the stadium. Never been to a ground especially at this level where it’s so hard to enter the ground. Sniffer dogs, everything searched including wallets. We are hardly Millwall. They told me that they had removed two knives, find that hard to believe but guess you never know these days
...which reminds me of how hard it is to get AWAY from Millwall.
Frog marched back to South Bermondsey station - even as media.
Former QPR player Bradley Allen tried to show his then press credentials so we could make our way to a different part of the platform.
"I don't care if you're Rupert Murdoch you wait with the rest of this lot..." as the long arm pointed to a throng of Rs supporters.
And have you ever tried to get into Wigan's ground, lol?

Back