• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mental Health Wolves Mental Health Video

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers 🍤 ⭐
I know this is the wrong place for this, but I wanted as many people to see this as possible, and this is the busiest part of this website.

I know people have mentioned on here about mental health struggles, especially with our club almost going out of business on more than one occasion, and this whole takeover saga that just seems never ending.

Norwich did something before, but Wolves released this on their X account (I’m assuming other social media channels but this is where I saw it). I warn you, it’s a tough watch, but this may help some people.

Please have a watch, and remember there are people out there. My DM’s are open if anybody is struggling.

It's the simplest thing isn't it, talking?

Yet in this country in particular, a lot of us really struggle to do it. Especially with someone we don't know. We are socially awkward. We need to do better.

I've always been one of those really. Happy to chat to mates, but rarely would I say a word to a stranger. Lockdown changed that for me. I started to realise that the person that randomly started chatting to you in the socially distanced queue for Tesco, might be doing it for a reason. They may have been struggling mentally, you might have been the only person they have spoken to for days or weeks (particularly the older people)...

So now, if someone random does speak to me (as long as they aren't selling me something!) I always try and give them a minute or two where I can. You might just save someones life by doing that.

If someone smiles at you, smile back. If someone says hello, say hello back. If someone starts chatting, try and listen. Such simple things. It is often just a simple acknowledgement of that persons very existence, that could make a huge difference. People that are struggling often feel invisible, that they don't matter. We need to break this very English reserved bubble like culture, today.

Also, just a reminder we do have a mental health sub-forum HERE if anyone wants to start a discussion, ask for advice etc. All of the Mods are also available via PM if you so wish. Don't suffer in silence.

Yet in this country in particular, a lot of us really struggle to do it. Especially with someone we don't know. We are socially awkward. We need to do better.

I've always been one of those really. Happy to chat to mates, but rarely would I say a word to a stranger. Lockdown changed that for me. I started to realise that the person that randomly started chatting to you in the socially distanced queue for Tesco, might be doing it for a reason. They may have been struggling mentally, you might have been the only person they have spoken to for days or weeks (particularly the older people)...

So now, if someone random does speak to me (as long as they aren't selling me something!) I always try and give them a minute or two where I can. You might just save someones life by doing that.

If someone smiles at you, smile back. If someone says hello, say hello back. If someone starts chatting, try and listen. Such simple things. It is often just a simple acknowledgement of that persons very existence, that could make a huge difference. People that are struggling often feel invisible, that they don't matter. We need to break this very English reserved bubble like culture, today.

Also, just a reminder we do have a mental health sub-forum HERE if anyone wants to start a discussion, ask for advice etc. All of the Mods are also available via PM if you so wish. Don't suffer in silence.
Absolutely. We used to be a friendly society, where you knew your neighbours by name and greeted people in the morning. I don't know what happened.

Echo all these comments. Remember too that there are simple things we can do. From just being kind to people - saying thank you and wishing a nice day to your supermarket cashier. Holding the door open for someone. So many easy things. And don't forget volunteering. Since lockdown finished a lot of charities have lost their volunteers as people go back to work. I have been volunteering for Age UK for last 4 years as part of their befriending service. It involves me calling a list of people once a week. Mine range from mid 70s to 97 and vary in so far as some are totally isolated with no family infrastructure. Others are infirm so rarely leave their house. Has been hugely rewarding for me personally, and I feel privileged to speak to these wonderful people who have led such interesting lives. Hugs to all Southend fans.

Absolutely. We used to be a friendly society, where you knew your neighbours by name and greeted people in the morning. I don't know what happened.
Yes, the relationship with neighbours has changed so much. When our new neighbours moved in the lady said to me "so much needs doing to it - did you ever go in there". I couldn't be bothered to say that, we didn't live in each other's pockets, but we had each others keys in case of emergency, I fed their cats when they went away or were out all day, I sat with the lady when she was unwell while her husband went to the chemist. I let the washing machine repair man in when they weren't there, when her grandson was born she bought him round to show me at just a few days old, we helped them move furniture - it was probably an old-fashioned neighbourly relationship but one I miss greatly.

For some they dont want someone just to present answers...just someone to be there to call on, to listen and to care. Often, people tend to try and fix people. It rarely helps as much as they think it does. There are rarely quick fixes. "All you need to do....." - not helpful. Great video by Wolves..... and by Norwich.

Last edited:

Great post

Brilliant post.
That video was so powerful.
I work for Samaritans at Southend so I know how desperately needed this kind of support is.
People are scared and vulnerable.
Don't be afraid to talk to someone.
Our service is 24/7 , 116 123.

I'll try to find the Norwich one which was done on behalf of Samaritans

Incredible film, touches those that suffer in silence over the years x
Thank god it’s no longer a thing for men not to hug and cry when alone and knowing there is help, the courage is to phone or speak to a friend/ family and then the burden is slowly released x

Back