• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Women into football

Had it confirmed that, all being well, we'll welcome our daughter to the world in January.
Now, obviously I'm devastated my first born won't grace Roots Hall with Southend's men's team. But I have no intention of letting the small matter of her being female get in the way of my/her love of football. So I wondered what tips people had for getting her into football. I went Roots Hall as a kid with my dad, played in the play ground at school, watched on TV. Did the women on here who like football get into it the same way? If you're a woman who likes football, have you found any barriers to following the beautiful game? Have fathers found anything that has helped or hindered a love of football with their daughters? Are there stigmas attached to it, while for boys it's expected?

With both myself and my wife being SUFC mad we thought that it would be certain that both my daughter and son would be into all things football.

While this sums my son up perfectly, he eats, plays and sleeps football, my daughter absolutely hates it. Taken her to Roots Hall a few times and she's bored within seconds.

Just encourage her gently and hope that she likes it otherwise not much you can do.

I started going to Roots Hall with my Dad and my Uncle when I was around 8 or 9. I kept asking to go and my parents thought that if I went once I would probably not enjoy it and stop asking but no, loved it and have hardly missed a match since - that was 50+ years ago ! We stood in the West Stand and I used to take a block of polystyrene to stand on so that I could see. My best friend from school also went along with her Dad. There are many more female fans these days but never found any problems as a youngster.

Last edited:
I started going to Roots Hall with my Dad and my Uncle when I was around 8 or 9. I kept asking to go and my parents thought that if I went once I would probably not enjoy it and stop asking but no, loved it and have hardly missed a match since - that was 50+ years ago ! We stood in the West Stand and I used to take a block of polystyrene to stand on so that I could see. My best friend from school also went along with her Dad. There are many more female fans these days but never found any problems as a youngster.
Thanks, that's great to hear. What was it that got you into it in the first place?

Thanks, that's great to hear. What was it that got you into it in the first place?

I grew up with my Dad always being a fan and watched a bit of footie on tv before but it was the 'Roots Hall experience' that really got me interested in all football. It was definitely me that asked to go rather than my Dad encouraging me though. He always promised to take me to a 'big' match too so we went to White Hart Lane once and saw Tottenham v. Man U with Bobby Charlton and George Best playing, was great but Southend would always be my team.

Congratulations on your news.

Last edited:
Maybe let her make up her mind about what she'd like to do. Encourage that and provide her with opportunities to explore her own likes and passions. I don't think you can really force a child into sharing hobbies or interests, just see what happens.

Last edited:
Congratulations, lovely news!

I'd advise talking to @Tinks on this, her daughter is well known to many of us on here and plays and coaches, after being taken along to RH from a young age.

Also, just seen on FB over the weekend, that a former female poster (and player) on here has her young daughter playing at a young age.

There's definitely more opportunity now for young girls - we used to have a couple of girls at school play alongside the boys (a couple of which were regulars for the school team).

Had it confirmed that, all being well, we'll welcome our daughter to the world in January.
Now, obviously I'm devastated my first born won't grace Roots Hall with Southend's men's team. But I have no intention of letting the small matter of her being female get in the way of my/her love of football. So I wondered what tips people had for getting her into football. I went Roots Hall as a kid with my dad, played in the play ground at school, watched on TV. Did the women on here who like football get into it the same way? If you're a woman who likes football, have you found any barriers to following the beautiful game? Have fathers found anything that has helped or hindered a love of football with their daughters? Are there stigmas attached to it, while for boys it's expected?

Congrats.

I don’t have any particular insight into this subject but in any case I think things are changing - we now have a female physio and who would have thought that 10 years ago? - so any advice on barriers may be dated by the time your daughter is old enough to attend of her own volition.

With both myself and my wife being SUFC mad we thought that it would be certain that both my daughter and son would be into all things football.

While this sums my son up perfectly, he eats, plays and sleeps football, my daughter absolutely hates it. Taken her to Roots Hall a few times and she's bored within seconds.

Just encourage her gently and hope that she likes it otherwise not much you can do.

This is dead right I think although it didn't work with our two.

Many congratulations.

I took my 2 since they were babes in arms and have literally grown up at RH and have remained loyal to the club since.
My dad took me along when I was 8 and without giving my age away that was many, many years ago and we used to have a great time together.
There are so many more opportunities these days for girls for football but for starter I would start bringing her along from as young as possible.
As she gets older most local football clubs have girls teams now as my young niece (she is 5) has just taken up playing and loves it so I am hoping she will grow to love the game like myself and my 2 children.
Feel free to message me as my daughter knows what is available locally.

I have taken both my granddaughters (currently 7 and 5) until it was all curtailed and they both enjoyed the event (they have both yet to see us win though).

The eldest's favourite bit was, it must be said the Bluebelles as well as all the illicit food that muggins bought her, and the youngest was less than enamoured by the rather "ripe" language from a group of youths/ twenty somethings who sat behind us on one occasion but, to give them their due, they did quieten down after she had pointedly glared at them and I had "had a word".

I can't wait to take them back.

Thanks all, for the kind words and the advice. We live in London so a trip to the Hall will be a proper day out. I'd love her first football experience to be at the Hall, but if she does show any interest I live very close to Dulwich Hamlet so that might be an easier, cheaper, closer alternative. Would feel strange though.
I often have sport on the TV or radio so hopefully having that in the background will get her used to the idea of sport being a thing that people do. We also live very close to a cricket club that has several youth and womens teams so I'm hoping to spend next summer, and future summers, there with her. Even when she's too young to appreciate the quality of the strokeplay she'll hopefully appreciate it is the best way to spend your time.
Then when winter comes around maybe she'll want to keep daddy company on his trips to the seaside. Assuming she's not 15 when I can finally get back to the Hall.

Back