• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

wont be happy if mccormack starts

Alex

Members
dont get me wrong, and im not judging the player before he's played but if he starts i dont think its fair. pettefer is a natural centre midfielder so he should play alongside bently tomorrow. nicolau has been brilliant since playing left wing when he come back in the side and was harshly dropped for gower. nicolau hasnt let us down and has scored twice, setup chances and goals, put in the best crosses we have seen at this club in a long time and played some exceptional corners (bearing in mind naturally he's a left back). he is contracted to the club and deserves to play again.

like i said i cant judge mccormack but i think nicolau deserves to play more than him at the moment.

Would you still be unhappy if McCormack starts and scores the winner?

I think Guttridge has more chance of starting actually - if he's fit.

The midfield tomorrow will be Gower, Bentley, either Guttridge or McCormack and Pettefer.

As for Nicolau being brilliant since playing left wing... I wouldn't go that far. He's scored two but one was direct from a corner (keeper error) and the other was against Kiddie with 10 to go when 79 out of the previous 80 minutes Nic played in that match were very poor.

He's done fine - not brilliant. He's put into some decent delivery but also some poor stuff too. You make it sound as though there is little scope for him to improve but there is plenty.

well the majourity of time he puts in very decent crosses of which cause the opposition defense all kinds of problems, of which is what a winger is supposed to do unlike pettefer

Personally think Petts should not play centre midfield.He is a bit to small for my liking and lack the physical presence that we need....

Agree with Alex comments about Nicky, Does deserve a chance but I feel he really needs to look at having Ches place rather than a midfield berth.

DtS

I think it'll just be a straight swap for today's game. McCormack in for Maher. Who knows what will happen next Friday. It all depends on what Tilson wants to do. 2 games in 3 days will be tough and i doubt the same team will start both the Friday and Monday game so we might see a bit of rotation. IF Guttridge cant play against Cambridge on the Monday (could be a clause there - not 100%) then i'd imagine we'll definetly see him start on Friday.

We've got a settled back 5, the front 2 in Wayne and Freddy are our best partnership but the midfield now looks to have lots of competition. I'd (eventually) like to see Gower ... Maher ... Bentley ... Guttridge as our midfield.

I saw on the official site that Tilly said "we won't chuck him straight in, he'll be on the bench" because Guttridge hasn't trained all week

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Mar. 19 2005,07:41)]Agree with Alex comments about Nicky, Does deserve a chance but I feel he really needs to look at having Ches place rather than a midfield berth.
Hell no! At least when Nicky Nic makes a mistake at left-wing we have Che behind to cover - sticking him in at full-back is suicide IMO unless he improves his game defensively.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alex @ Mar. 19 2005,00:13)]nicolau has been brilliant since playing left wing when he come back in the side and was harshly dropped for gower.
rock.gif

Not quite. He did well on occasions but we're a totally different proposition with Gower. If Nicky could play like he did against Rushden regularly then he'd get far more chances. Unfortunately he doesn't, so he won't.

I'd put Guttridge straight in if he was fit, but he's not, so it will be and should be McCormack.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobM. @ Mar. 19 2005,16:17)]2-0 up - happy now?  
upside.gif
if thats a dig at me shut up. like i said im not judging mccormack, im just saying its not fair on nicolau

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alex @ Mar. 19 2005,16:50)]if thats a dig at me shut up. like i said im not judging mccormack, im just saying its not fair on nicolau
Yeah but no but yeah but no but....SHUT UP!!!!

It's not necessarily Tilly's job to be fair. His job is to win things.

McCormack came straight in to the team today and, to be fair, looked very impressive. There was a good balanced feel to the midfield. As for Petts, well he worked hard as always and gave us a combative edge. As long as Gower and Eastwood are playing well, we'll look good with Petts.

Pettefer is an absolute must down the right while Hunt's out of the side as we need him to support Jupp defensively. I believe moving Petts inside today and switching Gower to the right would have been far too risky as Gower doesn't lend that defensive support. We can maybe get away with that to an extent with Hunt but not Jupp (though to be fair sounds like he had a decent game today).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Mar. 19 2005,20:28)]Jupp (though to be fair sounds like he had a decent game today).
He certainly seems to have sorted his game out in his time out of the team and I thought he looked solid. Not a lot came down their left in all honesty. One thing, however. Although Jupp likes getting forward, his delivery in tot he box today was very poor.

Defensively though, as I say, he was more solid than last time I saw him.

McCormack was very good today Alex, maybe you should have actually gone before having a go at him. It's not unfair on Nicky, he's dipped in form lately and he's not much better on the wing than Petts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ Mar. 19 2005,22:38)]McCormack was very good today Alex, maybe you should have actually gone before having a go at him. It's not unfair on Nicky, he's dipped in form lately and he's not much better on the wing than Petts.
I was also impressed with McCormack today. I thought he complemented Bentley well and between them snuffed out a Cheltenham team who were playing in the knowledge that they had just reached the safety of 50 points.

McCormack definitely altered the dynamics of the team. Maher is the lynchpin of the side and consequently we normally play quite measured football, with most moves starting slowly with square balls to the full-backs. McCormack seemed to play the little bit further up the pitch, and also looked to pass the ball forward a lot quicker. It was probably no coincedence that all 3 goals came from situations where we got the ball forward quickly leaving Freddy and Wayne to attack the isolated defenders before the midfield crowded them out.

It will now be very interesting to see how McCormack plays on Friday and if he does well again whether Maher will return straight back into the side. At the start of the season Bentley was our outstanding player but he struggled to win back his place after suspension.

The Little Gazette gave him 5 out of 10, very harsh considering they gave everyone else at least 7. His shooting was his only major weakness.
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimpboy @ Mar. 20 2005,08:59)]The Little Gazette gave him 5 out of 10, very harsh considering they gave everyone else at least 7. His shooting was his only major weakness.
wow.gif
Ah, but we all know the TLG knows best, SB ...

WS

wink.gif

Maher will never get dropped, he's the "Captain"! I think that if McCormack plays well again on Friday I would leave the team alone but we all know that won't happen.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tomasufc 4eva @ Mar. 20 2005,09:14)]Maher will never get dropped, he's the "Captain"! I think that if McCormack plays well again on Friday I would leave the team alone but we all know that won't happen.
Do we? There's always a first time ...

WS

Back