• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dear All,

Roots Hall will be visited by someone on a real world record attempt on Saturday. And it is one we can all relate to.

Some of you on social media may have seen that Ed Wood is on a quest to visit all 93 (it includes Berwick) league grounds in England in the shortest possible time, raising money for Prostate Cancer UK along the way.

Roots will be ground number 66 for Ed and currently he is well on target to beat the record (set way back in 1993/94) of 237 days (so far it has taken him 115 days to do 65).

Ed got in touch with me via my book's Facebook page a while ago and I have been tracking his progress ever since - you can follow him on Twitter at https://twitter.com/edwoodchallenge and/or his Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/EdWood93 Both contain links for those who would like to support his charity cause.

There is also a great article at http://www.the92.net/news-blog/ed-w...orld-record-for-doing-the-92-93/#.WEcn931wv9o which gives details about Ed's motivations and hopes for his record attempt.

We have only just arranged his visit this eve - tomorrow I will be contacting the club/BBC Essex to see what publicity I can get for Ed on Saturday for his sterling effort/cause.

If you see Ed on Saturday do say hello to him if you can. My plan after a pre-match meal at The Fish House is for us to be in The Shrimpers Bar from1.45 pm ish though that might be subject to change depending on what ever the club might want to do to help publicise his cause.

Lets give Ed a real Roots Hall welcome.

Cheers,

Andy

Right, I'm bumping this back up to hopefully keep it in folks minds .....

So far:
- on SZ
- on SUFC Facebook page
- contacted club re putting it on website and Ed having a pre-match interview, something should be sorted
- an interview for him on BBC Essex sorted
- contacted Chris Phillips re having something in The Echo re it

Any other ideas?

I did think maybe the Bluebelles could lay on the pitch at half-time in the shape of a '66 figure', that being the ground number Roots Hall will be for Ed, but perhaps he's visiting us a shade too soon to capture their interest.

Andy, have you asked Beaver to put it out on the Trust's Twitter and FB as well?

I thought that, too, but didn't like to say.

I guess it should read 'England and Wales' but I'm guessing Ed is stuck with 93, because that's what the previous record is.

Either way, it's a great achievement. Not least of which that at some point he has to watch Col Ewe!

OK I get MK, but Ipsh....?

For 15 years I worked in an office full of Ipsh ite season ticket holders - my old boss was one and the annual bonus favoured those who shared his passion so I lost out. They couldn't quite relate to a Shrimper, content with life in the lower leagues whilst they all had 'we should be in the Premier League' chips on their shoulders. They never took to my line of reasoning that they were lucky to be in existence after they had gone in to administration and shafted all of the local traders they owed money too having wasted millions on the likes of Finini George in their brief spend spend spend spree in the top league around the turn of the century, and they didn't even get a points deduction.

Then one day in 2007 Southend stuff Ipsh ite at Portman Road, Freddy & Co paying homage to the 2,000 of us there to bare witness to that glorious day including my 'Suffolk Shrimpers' flag placed in full view of my boss sitting in the adjacent North Stand. On the Monday afterwards I buy cakes for all 80 in the office and declare that Ipsh ite season ticket holders can take two, one for each goal. My annual bonus that year was even thinner.

:cheers:

Harsh but fair Karen 'Up The Shrimpers' Brady View attachment 4416

My error in saying 'England' - Should have said 'English Football League + Berwick'. Still an argument for 90 though given Ipsh ite and MK Dons should not exist.:smile:
I wonder how many new grounds & new clubs there are since the previous record in 1993/4. Will have a look if I get time.

Be interesting to know how the other person did this in 1993/94 when there were less games on Thursdays, Saturday lunchtimes and so on.

I think Ed should be able to achieve this without too much of a problem, though I guess getting tickets for some matches is more difficult now.

Still a mighty achievement, though.

Ed starts off his day tomorrow at 7.30 am with a BBC Essex phone interview from his home in Leeds before driving to Roots Hall. We will be in The Shrimpers Bar around circa 2.00 pm and I'm waiting to hear from the club re him being on the pitch etc just before kick off

To answer some of Andy T's questions I've pasted in below a copy of some blurb Ed had printed re his quest:

A Guinness World Records attempt by Ed Wood
The Challenge? To visit every one of the 93 Football League grounds in UK to watch a league game in the shortest ever time with a twist…
…the twist? Ed will be set a challenge for every ground ranging from being the first in the ground to working as a turnstile operator or arriving by a specified mode of transport e.g. a horse to having a selfie with the club chairman.
The Aim? To raise £50,000 for Prostate Cancer UK.
Why? Ed held the record 25 years ago and at the ripe old of 50 and 25 years on he wants to reclaim it.
…and afterwards? Ed intends to publish a book detailing his exploits as he travelled around the country. Recounting how he achieved the challenges set out for him and sharing stories from the people he met along the way…this will hopefully include a meeting with his footballing hero, Derby legend Ted McMinn.
Who is Ed Wood? In brief, Ed is a keen Derby County fan living on the outskirts of Leeds with his long time girlfriend Sam Aitken. Working for the Lloyds Banking Group Ed has taken a sabbatical to achieve his goal which he will be self funding.
On Christmas Day 1973 Ed woke up and opened his most treasured present from Santa the Guinness Book of World Records. The record for the "Most Peripatetic Fan" was included – highlighting Michael Jones & Bob Wilson of Shrewsbury had watched a league match at all 93 grounds in the country [92 + Berwick Rangers] in the shortest amount of time, 264 days in 1969. It was a record that fascinated Ed for years, which he dreamt of emulating.
Over the 1991/92 season he set about beating the record. Ed broke it in 243 days. Along the way he learned to drive, crashed a few times, saw 2 matches on the same day 4 times – whilst holding down a full-time job.
It was recorded in the 1993 & 1994 Guinness World Records.
The record is currently held by Ken Ferris at 237 days. Ed is starting the challenge on 13th August 2016 at Oldham and will aim to complete all grounds by 6th April 2017 to beat the record.

his just Giving link for Prostate cancer is http://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/edwood93challenge

Great write up Andrew.

We may well be in the Far Post at some point before or after the game, so I'll look out for you/him if you are in there, as well as the Shrimpers Bar.

Great write up Andrew.

We may well be in the Far Post at some point before or after the game, so I'll look out for you/him if you are in there, as well as the Shrimpers Bar.

Just pop down to the Shrimpers before you go in the Far Post!

Andrew, I'll be selling quizzes up in the lounges around that time so doubt I will see him, but do bring him over to the others - perhaps he can be persuaded to buy a quiz himself?! :winking:

Spread Eagle before the game, OBL. Maybe a very swift half in The Far Post, though some of us are in the South Upper.

The Shrimpers is a sorry old place these days.

Remember it rocking back in the day, with the Saturday Night Disco after coming back from the away games.

You even needed a membership card to get in, such was the clamour.

Spread Eagle before the game, OBL. Maybe a very swift half in The Far Post, though some of us are in the South Upper.

The Shrimpers is a sorry old place these days.

Remember it rocking back in the day, with the Saturday Night Disco after coming back from the away games.

You even needed a membership card to get in, such was the demand.

You do it (and the Trust) a great disservice. We've spent a lot of money on it this year to make it more attractive and more welcoming and the staff work hard to provide the customers with good beer.

Not taking anything away from the work done (and all respect to you and others who have done the work), but it's part of the decaying aspect of the stadium, in general.

I'd say that about all the parts of the ground that serve refreshments, including the other bar under the blue seats, The Far Post and the various tea bars around the ground.

It highlights why the new stadium needs to be built or a decision reached to remain at RH and some major investment spent on the facilities.

One last bump up the post order as the club have today at last put something up on it on their website:

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/ed-wood-guinness-world-record-3470234.aspx

Should have got Mr B something to stand on :smile:

As of today Ed has progressed from being on 66 grounds with his visit to Roots on Saturday and now stands at 70 after a busy few days. You can follow his progress on the links I gave at the start of this post.

A big thank you to anyone who has donated to his Just Giving page for Prostrate Cancer UK.

Cheers

Back