• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worried about "pre-contracts"

pringlejon

Pringello Indexinator
Is anyone else a bit worried that with some decent performances tonight, there are some players that could probably play at a higher level or are great prospects (i know you can't base it on one pre-season friendly, but probably true nonetheless). Only being on pre-contract terms means they can still sign for another team, and if a bigger team comes on, what will make them stick around?

Paul Sturrock , I believe alot of these players have had dealings with the man before . They are here because they believe in him . Did that look like a team that wanted to play for the manager tonight . YES

Hopefully the new lads turn out well for us but if they are on a years contract does it not mean that they would all be free agents in January?

Yep, would assume so. Didnt Gilbert and Corr sign 2 year deals though?

Unless things were absolutely dire, I cannot see any of these players walking in Jan - but lets get to Jan first eh!? :)

Hopefully the new lads turn out well for us but if they are on a years contract does it not mean that they would all be free agents in January?

As I understand it...

Anyone who has signed a pre-contract agreement has committed to the club and cannot sign for anyone else. All that remains to be done is for their signatures to be registered with the league once the embargo is lifted.

I'm not sure how many people actually realise the following -

EVEN IF IT GOES PEAR SHAPED WITH US NOT PAYING THE PFA SO THAT THE EMBARGO REMAINS WE WILL STILL BE ABLE TO SIGN A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF PLAYERS TO MAKE UP A SQUAD SO WE CAN START THE SEASON

Players like Rhys Evans are probably keeping options open and wanting a little more assurance perhaps before committing to the club.

As for the free agent bit, I think you'll find almost everyone will be on 12 month contracts regardless and then have extensions offered to them (or not) as the season progresses.

As I understand it...

Anyone who has signed a pre-contract agreement has committed to the club and cannot sign for anyone else. All that remains to be done is for their signatures to be registered with the league once the embargo is lifted.

I seem to remember a player committing to sign for someone on a pre-contract, but then when a bigger club came in, they didnt take up the pre-contract, and signed elsewhere...i might be wrong though.

its all about sturrock i reckon. most of them have links with him and that is the only reason they came.

Same as Barry Fry's mob and that was about the best football team I've ever watched at Southend.

The problem with these scenarios is the fallouts - i.e. if/when Sturrock leaves and Peter Taylor comes in to be greeted by 22 players who dont want to play for him...

Same as Barry Fry's mob and that was about the best football team I've ever watched at Southend.

The problem with these scenarios is the fallouts - i.e. if/when Sturrock leaves and Peter Taylor comes in to be greeted by 22 players who dont want to play for him...

Yeah just after posting I thought that. Hes a smart chap he'll be for a while yet which i hope means so will the team.

its worrying the hell out of me. last night i saw a really good team. looked much better than our team of last season. don't want to lose any of them before they've even proply signed.

martin do one decent thing and get the embargo sorted

I seem to remember a player committing to sign for someone on a pre-contract, but then when a bigger club came in, they didnt take up the pre-contract, and signed elsewhere...i might be wrong though.

You're right - pre contracts do not mean the player is committed to signing for the club. E.g.,
"Pre-contract agreements aren't binding, so both parties could pull out at any time," said Grayson in The Sun.
http://www.tribalfootball.com/beckford-signs-pre-contract-agreement-everton-587331

and also Liverpool signed a player on a pre contract but he walked away.

Back