• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Worst Manager

Worst Manager - Proper Poll

• Dick Bate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dick Bate

• Dick Bate

• Dick Bate

• Dick Bate

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Yes and look at the other players we had as well that he inherited from David Webb but he was taking us to relegation when he was sacked. Fry came in changed a few things around got us playing proper football again and got us playing as a team and kept s up.

That team we had in 1992-93 season should have never been anywhere near the relegation zone but for a terrible manager in Colin Murphy, then of course there was his legendary programme notes but that a different issue altogether.

Dick Bate was an awful manger but Colin Murphy was even worse.

Still no sign of Alvan Williams.
I remember the promise that he would get us out of Division 3, he did we were relegated to Div 4 in 1966.

It has to be said that Dick Bate was utterly incompetent.

I missed Williams by a year or so, but mine would be

Bate
Martin
Wignall
Morris
Moore
Murphy

However Stats taken from Robins site give the following
Bate 12.5 % success rate
Wignall 30.95
Morris 36.21
Taylor 37.29
Martin 38.55
Murphy 39.47
Whelan 40.76
Hudson 42.31
Broome 43.24
Moore 44.04
Newman 45.21
(I have not taken Stewart Robson 33.3% in 3 games) into account

BTW Tilly (60.55%) is behind Fry , Thomson and Webb 1 at the top (Not counting Mick Goodings 100% (1 Game) caretakership

By missing Williams you did not miss athing, in fairness he went to Wrexham and built a very successful side.

I think your list is good apart from Whelan, I will never forget the sight of a Blues side going out against a side of kids from Huddersfield and not trying and getting thumped as a result.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]BTW Tilly (60.55%) is behind Fry , Thomson and Webb 1 at the top (Not counting Mick Goodings 100% (1 Game) caretakership

Bring back Mick Gooding, can't argue with the stats
tounge.gif

As a relative newcomer (1991), I've managed to miss the likes of Bate & Williams, which is a relief; so my top 6 is:

Alvin Martin
Steve Wignall
Ronnie Whelan
Colin Murphy
Alan Little
Peter Taylor

Number 5 on the list may be slightly controversial; however, the more I think about it, the more I recall that Little was given a lot of money by John Main to splash on wages... and yet we were still a mediocre, bottom division side.

He also signed Gordon Connelly, which is probably enough in itself to get him on the list. On the other hand, Murphy's signing of Stan Collymore is not enough in itself to save him from being put on the list.

oops.gif

I think that Peter Taylor may be a little unlucky to figure for what he has done subsequently.

Also he had to sell a lot of players and apart from the 250k he was given for sick note Thomson, he did not spend an awful lot.

Wheras Whelan was given a relative fortune in Southend terms.

From the names on various lists, it should be said that Bate, Whelan, Taylor, Martin and Moore were cutting their managerial teeth. Bate did not have a football background whereas the others did. Peter Taylor has obviously gone on to other things but to be honest I think as a manager he is fairly poor. He took a Leicester team that were 4th in the Prem and got them relegated. He inherited a decent side at Brighton but I don't remember him being all that at Gillingham. Or was it the other way around?

Anyway, I think Murphy must be the worst, simply because he had some sort of pedigree beforehand.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Oct. 05 2005,12:58)]From the names on various lists, it should be said that Bate, Whelan, Taylor, Martin and Moore were cutting their managerial teeth.  Bate did not have a football background whereas the others did.  Peter Taylor has obviously gone on to other things but to be honest I think as a manager he is fairly poor.  He took a Leicester team that were 4th in the Prem and got them relegated.  He inherited a decent side at Brighton but I don't remember him being all that at Gillingham.  Or was it the other way around?

Anyway, I think Murphy must be the worst, simply because he had some sort of pedigree beforehand.
Think I may be on a Peter Taylor defending mission today. Agree with you fbm for what happened at Leicester he spent a fair bit of money as well, only for them to drop, and subsequently go into adminstration.

At Gillingham he took a lot of perennial under achievers into Division 1, for the first time. He also took Brighton up a season later, but he walked away from both jobs.

He has overseen Hull's two successive promotions, and looks to be stabilising them in mid table. Agree he has money to spend and great crowds but you still have to translate this on to the pitch.

Incidentally, Dick Bate was by all accounts a very highly rated coach, but with no managerial experience. I think his pro career was brief being cut short by injury. I am also led to believe that he is currently coaching in the England set up under Eriksson.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Oct. 05 2005,13:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Oct. 05 2005,12:58)]From the names on various lists, it should be said that Bate, Whelan, Taylor, Martin and Moore were cutting their managerial teeth.  Bate did not have a football background whereas the others did.  Peter Taylor has obviously gone on to other things but to be honest I think as a manager he is fairly poor.  He took a Leicester team that were 4th in the Prem and got them relegated.  He inherited a decent side at Brighton but I don't remember him being all that at Gillingham.  Or was it the other way around?

Think I may be on a Peter Taylor defending mission today. Agree with you fbm for what happened at Leicester he spent a fair bit of money as well, only for them to drop, and subsequently go into adminstration.

At Gillingham he took a lot of perennial under achievers into Division 1, for the first time. He also took Brighton up a season later, but he walked away from both jobs.

He has overseen Hull's two successive promotions, and looks to be stabilising them in mid table. Agree he has money to spend and great crowds but you still have to translate this on to the pitch.

Incidentally, Dick Bate was by all accounts a very highly rated coach, but with no managerial experience. I think his pro career was brief being cut short by injury. I am also led to believe that he is currently coaching in the England set up under Eriksson.
I thought Mr Bate was a schoolteacher? I didn't think he had played at pro level.

I'm happy to be enlightened otherwise.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ Oct. 05 2005,21:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (canveyshrimper @ Oct. 05 2005,13:38)]
[b said:

I thought Mr Bate was a schoolteacher?  I didn't think he had played at pro level.

I'm happy to be enlightened otherwise.
Bit of both I guess from Shotgate Shrimps post.

Back