• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Would we have been better with Sturrock as manager?

• NO

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • YES

Votes: 54 83.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes, would have expected the same back 4 but with no Mohsni or Straker. Would have had Leonard or Reeves on the left and Lund in the middle.

It's impossible to say whether we would've have fared better yesterday had Sturrock been in charge, the truth is that Crewe totted along in second or third gear for most of the game and looked like they could've turned it up had the need ever arisen.

I do, however, think we'd have been thoroughly more organised had Sturrock remained in charge. The players looked utterly bemused and confused as to what their individual roles were, and that's both Brown's and Martin's fault. It's Brown's job to select and organise the team, something he spectacularly failed to do, and Martin has shredded any sense of familiarity we had by ditching Sturrock just two weeks before a cup final.

Crewe are a good side, you cant take that away from them.

I do however think we'd have lined up better with Sturrock in charge. Brown still doesn't know the players.

Crewe are a good side, you cant take that away from them.

I do however think we'd have lined up better with Sturrock in charge. Brown still doesn't know the players.

Then maybe as well as leading them out he should have let Coughlan pick the team. Through no fault of his own, he's gatecrashed the biggest day in our history, the fan's deserved to see our best team out there, if he doesn't know it let someone with more experience of the players pick it.

Don't want this to be seen as an anti-Brown/Pro PS post but I think we would, simply because he knew those players better.

Impossible to say whether we would have been better with Luggy in charge. I think we still would have been beaten but would have stood a better chance. At least the players knew what their jobs were under PS.

Wow 22:3 think Sturrock would have been better, even though our form has been dire for 3 months.

I was a fan of Sturrock and think he is a good guy, but results werent coming so not sure why he would have done any better.

He wouldnt have played Mohsni in the middle though so thats one thing better I guess.

Wow 22:3 think Sturrock would have been better, even though our form has been dire for 3 months.

I was a fan of Sturrock and think he is a good guy, but results werent coming so not sure why he would have done any better.

He wouldnt have played Mohsni in the middle though so thats one thing better I guess.

:stunned: :dim: :thump:

Then maybe as well as leading them out he should have let Coughlan pick the team. Through no fault of his own, he's gatecrashed the biggest day in our history, the fan's deserved to see our best team out there, if he doesn't know it let someone with more experience of the players pick it.

Good point. Maybe ego's are too big to do that??

:stunned: :dim: :thump:

Just because he would have played Lund there we still havent been able to win more than 2 games in months and the end result would have been the same.

Crewe were much better than us and I dont see how Sturrock would have done any better, even without Mohsni in there.

Just because he would have played Lund there we still havent been able to win more than 2 games in months and the end result would have been the same.

Crewe were much better than us and I dont see how Sturrock would have done any better, even without Mohsni in there.

Form counts for nothing in games like these and it wasn't like Crewe were hitting top form leading up to the game either. Portsmouth were doing awful in the league and still managed to win the FA Cup.

I think people think our results would have been better over the last three months if Sturrock had had a fit Gavin Tomlin and the criminally underrated Ryan Leonard plus the experience of Mark Phillips and Chris Barker available. Timlin would have been nice have as well, but I suppose at least that's one Brown hasn't had available either.

I think people also think he'd have done better if he'd been allowed to bring in reinforcements earlier - we didn't win in January until he'd belatedly been allowed to sign Spillane to fill the gaping Mkandawire sized hole in midfield and we then went and won our next two games; he then wasn't allowed to extend Reeves and re-sign Mkandawire from the end of February until mid-March and after the Wimbledon game we lost when Clohessy and Hurst were our only outfield players over the age of 25. How does delaying those transfers allow continuity? How does that allow a manager to build a team, to develop confidence, plan ahead? How's he supposed to train and set-up the team for the following weekend when he's lined up players to fit his tactics and had deals agreed only for an embargo to prevent him then putting that team out on the pitch?

I'd also like to think that people would give more weight to 83 points from 46 games than they would for the ridiculously small sample size of 2 points from 5 arbitrarily picked games. I'd expect people think we'd have done better with a manager who has won 46 and drawn 24 of his last 100 matches than someone who has lost 50 of his last 100 games.

So the surprise for me is that three not the 22.

Back