• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We have an average crowd of 6000....480 of those according to the Mirror would not attend.....their loss then.

The great wonderful irony would also be that of the 6000 attending, if the research figures are accurate , 600 in the stadium would themselves be gay. If 480 homophobes left , that would leave 5,520 in the crowd of whom 600 would then be gay folk, or just over one in 9 people cheering on the boys in blue. Personally I'm not so convinced of the figures, but I would be happy to accept that 10% of posters on here are also gay

who gives a rats arse... as long as they try and play with passion... stop any discrimination now!!! Youll be asking if we're ok having 'coloured' players next................ All human FFS!

The more I think about it, the more I wonder why 'coming out' is even a thing. What has it got to do with anyone else? As much as gay men shouldn't have to hide the fact that they're gay, why should they have to announce it to everyone?

Just for the record i'd like to announce that I'm hetrosexual:clap:

Sad society we live in when this even has to be discussed, thought the world had moved on from the dark ages :nope:

I'm a season ticket holder, I'm a Southend fan and I'm gay. If anyone has a problem with that they can get stuffed.

I used to play rugby, btw. I never had a moment of trouble from any other players about being gay. All they cared about was whether I pulled my weight on the field.

I'm not homophobic....I love a quiet evening in watching the TV

Nobody should care. Although last weekend sat next to a right ****** having a go at Simon Cox after hed scored and got an assist. Calling him fat and lazy. So it wouldnt surprise me if some people didnt have the brain cells to accept someone who is gay, even if they do play for us!

Couldn't give a monkeys. I work with lots of openly gay and lesbian colleagues who I judge by their ability to do the job and by the person they are rather than their sexual orientation which frankly, is none of my business.
I know how bad this sounds but one of my best mates is lesbian and she would probably laugh her socks off if she knew I'd written this!

What I love about the 8% of the crowd who wouldn't attend is the high probability that so many of them think that way because they're uncomfortable with their own feelings... like most homophobes.

If you're a homophobe and reading this, then YES, I mean YOU. xx

I wouldn't bother me if any of our players came out, though as already been said, why should they? It's not a prerequisite we know their sexual orientation. I have both gay and straight mates and I don't containerised them by their sexuality. They are who they are

I wouldn't bother me if any of our players came out, though as already been said, why should they? It's not a prerequisite we know their sexual orientation. I have both gay and straight mates and I don't containerised them by their sexuality. They are who they are

If any of our players 'came out' with "containerised" though.... now that's a different question! Fair game in my opinion.

:winking:

I'd be astonished if there were no gay players in the Premiership let alone the professional game in this country.

Unlike the film or music industry pro sportsmen, and I emphasis the word 'men' (never a problem in women's sport) could seriously risk their career prospects, as similar to the prejudices of a minority of moronic fans, the player would also risk the same with some clubs board members or players, and any below par game in these idiots eyes would be magnified 1000% if the player were gay.

Fortunately we've moved out of the stone age when Justin Fashanu came out, what a tragic tale - 100x more talented than his brother John, and probably 1000x a better person, if you believe the stories...

Cannot see it happening, and unless say a top, top international player came out, such as 'CR' for example, it will be a long time happening.

So, back to the question? If one of our players annouced he was gay, no problem at all why would it be? - in fact he would be proud of him, it would take a very strong and gutsy person to do this.

Wouldn't worry me and I'm surprised as much as 8% these days would vote with their feet - I reckon that includes some posturing in the survey responses and when push comes to shove many of the 8% would still come along

I can see the day when it is not and issue and players do 'come out' and it's not an issue. Just think of how far we've come with racist behaviour.

I've seen a few people say something along these lines. I hope I can give some insight from the other side of the matter.

The thing about coming out is that it's really just asking to be treated the same way as heterosexual people are. They're "out" all the time. They talk about their husbands, wives, boyfriends, girlfriends. They have pictures of their families on their desks. And nobody bats an eyelid.

Gay people do the same and get told we're "making a big deal about it", "announcing it", "coming out".

All we want is to be able to live without hiding a big part of our lives. I don't know if you're married, single, or whatever. But for anyone who is in a long-term relationship, imagine how it would feel to you if you were never allowed to discuss that relationship, mention your partner, talk about what your kids did at school, show anyone your holiday pictures, mention your wedding anniversary, make jokes about your partner's boring hobbies...

That is what being in the closet is. It's a horrible, isolating experience. You're always on guard in case you say something incautious. Nobody ever sees the real you, just a mask that you wear to hide from other people.

I'm so glad that I don't feel the need to live that way any more.

"Coming out" isn't wanting to be special. It's just wanting to be treated the same way everybody else is.

I'm sure not every gay person feels exactly the same way about this as I do. But that's how I feel about it and I can only speak for me.

I've seen a few people say something along these lines. I hope I can give some insight from the other side of the matter.

The thing about coming out is that it's really just asking to be treated the same way as heterosexual people are. They're "out" all the time. They talk about their husbands, wives, boyfriends, girlfriends. They have pictures of their families on their desks. And nobody bats an eyelid.

Gay people do the same and get told we're "making a big deal about it", "announcing it", "coming out".

All we want is to be able to live without hiding a big part of our lives. I don't know if you're married, single, or whatever. But for anyone who is in a long-term relationship, imagine how it would feel to you if you were never allowed to discuss that relationship, mention your partner, talk about what your kids did at school, show anyone your holiday pictures, mention your wedding anniversary, make jokes about your partner's boring hobbies...

That is what being in the closet is. It's a horrible, isolating experience. You're always on guard in case you say something incautious. Nobody ever sees the real you, just a mask that you wear to hide from other people.

I'm so glad that I don't feel the need to live that way any more.

"Coming out" isn't wanting to be special. It's just wanting to be treated the same way everybody else is.

I'm sure not every gay person feels exactly the same way about this as I do. But that's how I feel about it and I can only speak for me.

I agree with you totally. Maybe what I said was a bit ambiguous. I mean that nobody needs to say hey I'm gay or hey I'm straight. Just get on with your life, go out with your partner, be seen in public, talk about them. People's sexuality is accepted by the majority and whether gay or straight. I know it's easy for me to say and I'm probably not seeing it from a gay person's point of view but I don't bat an eyelid when a gay couple are out in public no matter who they are

I'm a season ticket holder, I'm a Southend fan and I'm gay. If anyone has a problem with that they can get stuffed.

I used to play rugby, btw. I never had a moment of trouble from any other players about being gay. All they cared about was whether I pulled my weight on the field.

How queer

[video=youtube;nTEyhkPB1FA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTEyhkPB1FA[/video]

Back