• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wrestlemania XX

Wrestlemania i love it 20 years in the making and i hope it will be good this year.

backyard wrestling is better
biggrin.gif
its all real

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Mar. 10 2004,23:56)]Well Andre died several years back....British Bulldog, Mr Perfect..Hulk Hogan..Sgt Slaughter
I actually recognise some of those names.

Mind you the only wrestling I saw live was back in 93 in Morecambe- Kendo Nagasaki, Giant Haystacks and someone else.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Mar. 10 2004,23:56)]Yokosuna
Ahh, now that reminds me of a totally different form of wrestling - Sumo!

Was anyone else a fan of Sumo on Channel 4, with Brian Blessed doing the commentary?! Awesome - would love to see that again.

Rednecks faking it, or the mystique and thousand year old tradition of the sport of Emperors in Japan...?! No contest.

I even visited the Sumo museum when I was in Tokyo, and all the staff got very excited when I asked them to show me whether there were any Chiyonofuji exhibits in the museum.

For the uninitiated, Chiyonofuji was the leading Yokozuna (presumably where the WWE character has stolen his name from) of his day - the Yokozuna being the top-ranking Sumo. Unlike some of the other Sumo (e.g. Konishiki - aka "The Dump Truck", who weighed in at a massive 43 stone), Chiyonofuji (aka "The Wolf") was an awesome athlete - almost chiselled out of granite - and used his speed and strength to dominate Basho after Basho (Sumo tournaments) in his day...

chiyonofuji.jpg

Ahh, happy days... any other devotees? If so - this makes for some good nostalgic reading!

Big in Japan - Chiyonofuji

biggrin.gif

Matt

Theres a new Wrestling channel thats starting on Sky Digital very soon. Its mainly showing minor American and Japanese Federations, but they are also going to be showing some of the old ITV Saturday morning stuff. Should be interesting to see just how bad that stuff was. I remember it being pretty poor...
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Mar. 11 2004,11:26)]Theres a new Wrestling channel thats starting on Sky Digital very soon. Its mainly showing minor American and Japanese Federations, but they are also going to be showing some of the old ITV Saturday morning stuff. Should be interesting to see just how bad that stuff was. I remember it being pretty poor...
smile.gif
yep i heard about that it looks awesome with all the different types of wrestling NWA ROH and others.

They show 4 hours of wrestling on one of the channels on sky.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Mar. 11 2004,11:25)]For the uninitiated, Chiyonofuji was the leading Yokozuna (presumably where the WWE character has stolen his name from) of his day - the Yokozuna being the top-ranking Sumo.  
Matt, you're a fountain of knowledge mate. I had no idea of that. I vaguely remember Sumo on Channel 4, but our C4 reception is terrible so I could never really get into it.

A useless piece of information - the Yokosuna of the WWE was supposed to be a Japanese Sumo wrestler but was actually Samoan. Part of the same extended family in fact as Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka, Rikishi & The Rock.

I used to love WWF when I was in my teens - I'll never forget arguing with a friend at school about who was better: The British Bulldog or Brett 'The Hitman' Hart. It was SUCH a big deal when they finally got in the ring together because they were very distantly related (I think!).
Used to love the BushWhackers too - they were hilarious. Hacksaw Jim Carter was great aswell!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Mar. 11 2004,14:40)]Matt, you're a fountain of knowledge mate. I had no idea of that. I vaguely remember Sumo on Channel 4, but our C4 reception is terrible so I could never really get into it.

A useless piece of information - the Yokosuna of the WWE was supposed to be a Japanese Sumo wrestler but was actually Samoan. Part of the same extended family in fact as Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka, Rikishi & The Rock.
Pleasure mate.

Incidentally, "Rikishi" (another name there) is also a sumo term, meaning "Wrestler" - and specifically those wrestlers who are chosen to compete in the 6 big annual tournaments - the Basho.

Here's a link to quite a cool sumo site for more info:

Sumo - more than just big guys in diapers

Sumo also isn't restricted merely to Japanese - Akebono, one of the most well-known sumo of recent years is Hawaiian, whilst in the early '90s there was even a British rishiki, although I can't remember his name.

Matt

I took my lad to one of these wrestling events at London Arena around 2 years ago, I think. We were lucky enough to see the wrestlers as they walked in and out of the ring as our seats were right next to their gangway. 2 things that were obvious

(i) Even more made up thean British wrestling. You could see the "punches" and "kicks" consistently missing their opponents faces by a good 6 inches. The roars of the kids and teenagers were almost drowned out by the parents laughter.

(ii) I wouldn't say that to their faces! They are f***ing huge. Muscles on muscles on muscles. Obviously no steroids used either
rock.gif

I did enjoy the show (for that is what it was). My lad wanted some autographs and, fair play to them, every wrestler stayed, signed autographs, spoke to everyone and posed for photos. It wasn't grudging either. It looked like they genuinely enjoyed meeting all the kids. They had my respect for that more than anything else.

It might cost a few bob but they certainly give the audience what they want.

Crash Holly died!? Jeez. What happened?!

Goldberg and Brock both 'retiring'!? 2 of the main reasons i've started re-watching it lately. Shame. Makes sense seeing as SCSA, Rock and Foley are back.

Kev

wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Mar. 11 2004,17:43)]Crash Holly died!? Jeez. What happened?!

Goldberg and Brock both 'retiring'!? 2 of the main reasons i've started re-watching it lately. Shame. Makes sense seeing as SCSA, Rock and Foley are back.

Kev

wow.gif
Yeah, Crash was a bit of a shock. The others were drug related or rumoured to be drug related so it was understandable if still tragic. But Crash though, apparently went out on a bender with Stevie Richards, stayed round Richards' place for the night and when Richards woke up he found that Crash had choked on his vomit in the night.

sad.gif

Goldberg's contract runs out after Wrestlemania and I don't think that the WWE are willing to pay him what he wants so it looks like he's going to go off to Japan instead. Lesnar though apparently told Vince McMahon last week that he wants to quit as he doesn't enjoy it and wants to try American Football whilst he is still young. Wouldn't surprise me to see McMahon offer Goldberg whatever he wants now that Lesnar is leaving.

According to my mate who is the absoloute don on wrestling he thinks that Lesnar going to play NFL thing is just a work. He never played College Football and the WWE do like to keep the smarks (wrestling analysts) on their toes.

Ah gotta love the typical non fan responses

'You could see the punches were missing'

Yeh, we know its fake
smile.gif

It takes a lot more talent to make it look like you're hurting some one than it does to hurt them, like most football fans like to do. Hey since we are being ignorant here, i thought i may as well join in!

smile.gif
I jest, but it takes a lot more than pretending to be in pain to be a wrestler, i should know, i've trained.

Brock isnt really retiring one would assume. Joining the NFL? He didnt even play college football.

WMXX shall be very awesome indeed. 48 wrestlers performing!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hawkwell Shrimper @ Mar. 11 2004,19:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Vange Shrimper @ Mar. 10 2004,19:00)]I have one, well, 8 words to say: What a load of bollox Wrestlemania XX is!!
Agree!
Then why post in this thread? Seriously, why?

Thought i'd add, British Wrestling is back on TV, and its not longer big daddy and giant haystacks!

the FRONTIER WRESTLING ALLIANCE (www.frontierwrestling.com) is a southern based wrestling promotion featuring on the new WRESTLING CHANNEL (TWC)
Personally im not a huge fan of the FWA product, bit too WWE copied, but you mike like it, give it a try.

Also other promotions from all over the world will be shown, which might offer an healthy alternative to the WWE.

Check monday for the new channel on sky channel 432
smile.gif

Back