• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I agree it happens in every game but some of the grappling that went on, in my opinion, were fouls.

Any grappling is a foul, and if it happened in the area, a penalty. However, it's not really the ref's fault for not giving it as no refs do. However, I think a directive should be sent down to treat any foul on its merits regardless of whether or not the game would become a succession of free kicks. It won't take long, a couple of weeks I reckon, for enough teams to give away enough fouls/penalties for behaviours to change. Until that happens you have to accept that the ref won't do anything.

see above. It happens in every game and is never given as a free kick. Its part and parcel of the game and our defenders are equally culpable.

And it is incredibly frustrating! I coach young (under 14s) players and I always say to them that the only player able to use his hands is the 'keeper. Use of the shoulder when on the ball is OK. But use of the hands (hugging/grappling/pulling/binding) is NEVER legal. If it is illegal and a foul, then it must be punished as such. I hate it when refs let things go because they are seen as "part of the game" when they are blatantly fouls.

Nothing personal against you. Just a majot gripe I have against refs who fail to penalise these incidents.

And it is incredibly frustrating! I coach young (under 14s) players and I always say to them that the only player able to use his hands is the 'keeper. Use of the shoulder when on the ball is OK. But use of the hands (hugging/grappling/pulling/binding) is NEVER legal. If it is illegal and a foul, then it must be punished as such. I hate it when refs let things go because they are seen as "part of the game" when they are blatantly fouls.

Nothing personal against you. Just a majot gripe I have against refs who fail to penalise these incidents.

I agree with you and it's something that does seem to be acceptable, especially when it's in the area.

I think there was a similar incident in the prem league last season where a penalty was given for holding and the manager stated if you're going to give penalties for that then we would have 10 a game.

Obviously the fact that it always happens has now made it ok, but if you started given penalties for this it would soon stop, but at the end of the day it's a foul whichever way you look at it and if it isn't deemed a problem anymore then change the rules!!!

Back