• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wycombe's style of play

Couldn’t give a baboons bright red bottom what style we play.

It’s all about winning games. Yes we played direct under sturrock, but it worked. We played some gorgeous football under Brown and for a period it worked.

I would rather leave a dull boring game having won 1-0 than play great football and lose.

Thing is, we currently have neither.

I have just seen an interesting stat on Twitter that I thought some people might find intriguing.

Wycombe are currently joint top of our league, yet their playing stats show that this hasn't been achieved by any "total football" approach.

View attachment 8950

Obviously they seem to be succeeding with a very particular style of play. Now I remember the seasons after Tilly when Sturrock came under a lot of criticism for the way he played and there was a lot of general negativity around it on here, even in the year we came 4th on over 80 points.

I'm not suggesting that direct is the best way to go, but I wonder whether people would be more receptive to these sort of stats after the last few years? How would you feel now if our new manager tried to emulate what Wycombe are doing?

Edit: Here's the tweet, just to give the original poster credit

I wouldn't read too much into those stats this early in the season.

As for the style of play - and I don't expect for one moment this to be a popular opinion - I actually think once we got the ball down up front under Sturrock we played the best football of our last four managers. Under Sturrock we had real flair players in Ryan Hall and Kevan Hurst (and Bilel!) and some of our passing interchanging was great to watch. When it was ugly was when we were unable to hold the ball up top but then it was ugly under Powell when we had no out ball after Hopper was injured and it was ugly under Brown when we'd try and kill games off and waste time as early as the first half. Sturrock's was also our most attacking sides of recent years so maybe I equate attacking football with attractive football. We've only scored more in a season than Sturrock's lowest scoring season once since sacking him.

So I'd be ok with playing some long balls if we had someone who can then get the ball down on the deck and it was a means to getting the ball to some flair players who'll play some exciting, attacking football. But we currently lack someone who can hold the ball up like a Barry Corr or a Nile Ranger (minus all the baggage) and even if we hold the ball up we seem to lack the flair, skill, movement and confidence to play exciting football.

Even Dave Webb's philosophy was to get the ball forward quickly and play football in the oppositions half. As YB said, if the ball went forward and we had players to bring it down and play up top, whilst the defence were solid and no nonsense, I wouldn't be too disappointed at all.

Even Dave Webb's philosophy was to get the ball forward quickly and play football in the oppositions half. As YB said, if the ball went forward and we had players to bring it down and play up top, whilst the defence were solid and no nonsense, I wouldn't be too disappointed at all.

Bring back Webby. Great days and great football. I feel most people now expect every team to play ridiculously quality footy like they see on their telly all the time.

Just get the job done and the punter will be happy ( as long as it is 4 4 2 obvs) can't insert smiley

Harry Redknapp has just said very clearly on talksport it's madness to try and play out from the back unless you've got players that are good enough to do it so clearly Bond wasn't taking advice from him !!!!

Harry Redknapp has just said very clearly on talksport it's madness to try and play out from the back unless you've got players that are good enough to do it so clearly Bond wasn't taking advice from him !!!!

I don't think the playing out from the back was such a problem, it was when the ball went further upfield. It would stop going forward, and eventually we would lose the ball.

This whole Ainsworth rumour is a bit crazy to me and sounds like it has been started on a drunken night out in town, stuck a wayward chunk of money on it happening, and has somehow propagated into something people are taking seriously.

Take a moment here, folks.

Why on earth would he want to leave Wycombe who are at the top end of the table to come to Southend where he would be immediately drafted into a dog fight where failure would be far more risky to his career than missing out on play offs?

When was the last time Ron employed a manager from another club?

GA hasn't even been mentioned as a front-runner by CP, surely he would have seen or heard something from someone in the club by now?

Let's face it, the likelihood is Waddock or Milligan.

This whole Ainsworth rumour is a bit crazy to me and sounds like it has been started on a drunken night out in town, stuck a wayward chunk of money on it happening, and has somehow propagated into something people are taking seriously.

Take a moment here, folks.

Why on earth would he want to leave Wycombe who are at the top end of the table to come to Southend where he would be immediately drafted into a dog fight where failure would be far more risky to his career than missing out on play offs?

When was the last time Ron employed a manager from another club?

GA hasn't even been mentioned as a front-runner by CP, surely he would have seen or heard something from someone in the club by now?

Let's face it, the likelihood is Waddock or Milligan.

Agree it won't be Ainsworth. Don't think it will be Milligan. It will only be Waddock if we start winning games.

Back