• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

"Yesteday's" Echo - Gower's Future

If he does go, I thank him for the service he has given us. He will be missed, but a move to a league higher, at his age is understandable.

He will be a tough player to replace, he has always been one of our most creative players and too be honest he was one of the players that did not look out of place in the Championship.

I hope if he leaves and ever plays against us, he will recieve a warm reception.

Gower has been too hit & miss over the past couple of seasons; having one good game then 2 or 3 indifferent ones, fading in & out of games..
(although the same could be said of others)

Never my most favourite player at the club but that said he will be a difficult player to replace.

If he goes I will miss his goals (I love it when he cuts in from the left & fires in unstoppable shot into the far top corner), we won't truly appreciate his worth to until he's gone.

I echo those thoughts really. Liked JCR but knew he wasn't overly effective, as proved, although undoubtably a better player than Black. However I fear that we'll really miss Gower.

Shame, but nothing lasts forever in football.

Speak for yourself. I like to think I value his contribution to the team now, and have done pretty much since he joined.

I was - obvious mistaken usage of 'we' in my original post.
No need for any unpleasantry now.

Last edited:
I got a good feeling that he will stay. He at a good age, and its a difficult for him and his family to move far away - eg swansea.. Good luck to him if he is to go though!

One of the most undervalued players in the team - I don't think his team mates thought him nearly as ineffective as many of the fans, even on one of his so-called "off" days. Tilson's tribute to him and the information that he has been offered as good a deal as anyone at the club speaks volumes, and I think he will be the hardest player to replace of all who might leave - and yes, I include Bailey in that. A capable wide man is worth his weight in gold and fags.

Says on the OS we have offered him the best contract we can afford.. whats that about 950 quid a week?

Would be very hard to replace, yeah he has his off days but even then is still capable of producing something out of nothing. There aren't many wingers around with his goal return.

Reading Tilly's comments it does sound like he will go, all I will say and this goes not just to any player but can be applied in life in general, life isnt always greener on the other side of the fence and this other side is over 200 miles away. I think Swansea were a decent side and they deserved to win the league but when I compare them to the Championship sides we saw at Roots Hall the season before last I think they are in for a hard battle, Martinez has even less experience than Tilson and a lot of there success was built around Jason Scotland like Freddy was for us, if Scotland went or got injured they will struggle next year. So Mark if your reading please stay but no true Southend fan will knock you if you want to pursue a career at a higher level

gutted if he goes but i have sneaky suspision he might stay though,would rather lose bailey than marky g,as hes my fav player,but if you do go mark thanks alot for the 1st goals you've coined me in over last couple of seasons always 10/1 or above haha,and best of luck in the future

Reading Tilly's comments it does sound like he will go, all I will say and this goes not just to any player but can be applied in life in general, life isnt always greener on the other side of the fence and this other side is over 200 miles away. I think Swansea were a decent side and they deserved to win the league but when I compare them to the Championship sides we saw at Roots Hall the season before last I think they are in for a hard battle, Martinez has even less experience than Tilson and a lot of there success was built around Jason Scotland like Freddy was for us, if Scotland went or got injured they will struggle next year. So Mark if your reading please stay but no true Southend fan will knock you if you want to pursue a career at a higher level

I can honestly say your wrong there mate Scotland is not the player you think he is! He was just in the right place at the right time and the rest were penalty's he's got no pace and no control what so ever i would be very happy if he was to go tomorrow he'll be lucky to get into double figures next season trust me!! if we had any other top striker then they would have doubled his goal tally for last season this is why he wont sign an extension on his contract because if we brought a top striker in he knows that he would just be keeping the bench warm!! Judging by the praise your fans are giving Gower he'll fit in nicely down with us and bring us good options in midfield plus his eye for goal would do us well!!

I know it's not from the Echo -

Swansea look set to sign Southend winger Mark Gower after he rejected the chance to stay at the club. (Daily Star)

I still wouldnt bank on Gower going to Swansea. Cant see why he would move all that way to Wales of all places to probably sit on the bench and uproot his family from where they seem happy

Back