• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

snapper1

Schoolboy
What is your most enjoyed Blues match and ,given a time-machine,which game would you have liked to have seen .Give reasons.

My most enjoyed game would be home to Brentwood Town we hit them for 10 in or around 1968 (FA Cup Tie-2nd Round).
Gary Moore got 4 and Billy Best (one of Blues best ever strikers) got 5.

Game that I would have loved to have seen was Blues v Manchester City in 1956. (FA Cup Tie),losing at home 0-1.

If this has already been posted,then apologies. I think the results could be interesting. :-)

I would choose the 3-0 win away at Colchester, March 2006, the day before my 50th birthday as my best.

One to see that I missed? Um...I shall ponder...

There's a few to think about ! Swindon (A) 1968-1969,beating Don Rogers et al ? The list is endless.

April 7th 1993.

Roycie making only his second appearance, Sir Stanley in full flow and most gloriously of all the hamsters shut up. Marvellous, marvellous stuff.

Honourable mention to 1st January 1994 and Judas' return.

Would love to have seen any of the matches we scored 10 goals in, Bury away, Liverpool in 1979, Swansea where we only had 8 men, Gillingham where we went 1 down in the first minute but won 2-1 with two injury time goals, Everton in the cup in '92, Man City in 1956, Derby away when we were in full flow under Webby in the second division and last but not least any league match where Drewe scored in the right net just so I could say I was there.

Has to be Blues v Tottenham Hotspur in the Littlewoods Cup, 04 October 1989. Final Score was 3-2 to the Blues although we lost over the two legs on away goals. Scorers were Dave Martin and Garry Bennett (2) for the Blues and Paul Allen and Mohamed Nayim for Spurs. The game was important to me as my old man was a season ticket holder at White Hart Lane and it was the first and only time I got him to Roots Hall. My bragging rights were immense even though we lost overall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK9AQBP0O4I

Like Snapper1 I would have loved to have seen Blues v Manchester City in 1956. I was 5 when that happened but I think it still counts for the time machine as I was only just getting to grips with infants school at the time.

Any match from the 1968-69 season, I was 18 years old at this time and in the 52 matches played our record was as follows in league & cup, Won 23, Drew 13, Lost 16 with 106 goals scored & 66 conceded with 28 scored in the cup games alone. I was lucky enough to see all of those matches. In that season "King" Billy Best & "Big Gary Moore scored 52 goals in 84 games between them. For those of us of a certain age it really was a quite unforgettable time.

One I missed was a 6-1 at Bournemouth (a win, I add!)

Now equally, which game would you have been happy to have missed? I nominate a 2-5 home thrashing by Notts County.

Beating Bury to go up too the then second division.First time i was at a game to see us promoted.

My most enjoyed is probably 3-0 away to Col U in 2006.

If I could see any match, it would be between Liverpool in 79, Bury away, or Stanley's Luton game.

3-0 away at colu always stick in the memory, especially as parkinson on the radio stated that they "were the better side!":hilarious::hilarious:

Game i missed would be Swansea away in L1! Cannot for the life of me remember why we didn't go, but i wish we did!

3-0 away at colu always stick in the memory, especially as parkinson on the radio stated that they "were the better side!":hilarious::hilarious:

Game i missed would be Swansea away in L1! Cannot for the life of me remember why we didn't go, but i wish we did!
I remember Parkinson on the radio saying this and not giving us credit for our win.Also at the end of the season when we won the league he said we were not a better side than them,despite our title win and doing the double over them in the league

Am not sure if "enjoyed" is the right word - until Benji struck - but Bury has to be the one. The club had waited it's entire history at the time and a few generations of supporters had been mocked for even considering ... the SECOND tier of English football.
Now, we had a chance. We actually had three chances (two home fixtures to follow which brought us just the one point) to get the three points we needed ..but Bury was the one the club had waited for since 1906.
To be there? To see that ball spin in the back of the net? To have the man on my left throw up immediately after we scored, to have the man on the right punch with glory and hit me square in the face. To count the remaining minutes down in an almost surreal dream. To wait for the refereee to reach for his whistle. To hear almost everyone draw breath as he placed it to his lips. To see, feel and hear the ecstasy as he blew for full time!
I'll go for Bury : )

One I missed? Scunny away in '72 - our first ever success, promotion from Division 4.

4-3 win away at Chesterfield - we do like playing them! And also watching us beat colu on the big screen at RH - surreal but turned out to be a great day. Might have been the same season??

Am not sure if "enjoyed" is the right word - until Benji struck - but Bury has to be the one. The club had waited it's entire history at the time and a few generations of supporters had been mocked for even considering ... the SECOND tier of English football.
Now, we had a chance. We actually had three chances (two home fixtures to follow which brought us just the one point) to get the three points we needed ..but Bury was the one the club had waited for since 1906.
To be there? To see that ball spin in the back of the net? To have the man on my left throw up immediately after we scored, to have the man on the right punch with glory and hit me square in the face. To count the remaining minutes down in an almost surreal dream. To wait for the refereee to reach for his whistle. To hear almost everyone draw breath as he placed it to his lips. To see, feel and hear the ecstasy as he blew for full time!
I'll go for Bury : )

Football ! The Beautiful Game !! We wouldn't miss it for the world,would we ?

I am lucky to have seen all the big ones (since mid 80s) Nothing will beat bury away for me, nothing. Plenty have come close, but that promotion with that Benji goal.....ecstacy. As for games I missed.....would have loved to have gone to fiorentina in the anglo italian cup.

I am lucky to have seen all the big ones (since mid 80s) Nothing will beat bury away for me, nothing. Plenty have come close, but that promotion with that Benji goal.....ecstacy. As for games I missed.....would have loved to have gone to fiorentina in the anglo italian cup.

Got to agree with leeblue on both.

One of my early games which still makes me smile,The play off final victory!

Fantastic week end.

Back