• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lets keep the discussion on here to books please, carry on the capital punishment on the appropriate thread.

Finished Dostoevsky's Notes from Underground, which was decent but I preferred Crime & Punishment.

Next up, The Walking Dead Compendium One.

Just finished it, not a massive "graphic novel" reader but out of those that Ive read it was the best. Very good and awaiting Compendium Two now!

Currently reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt.

I'm about a quarter of the way through, and at the moment i'm finding it actually quite frustrating in that she keeps alluding to what is going to happen, but nothing has yet.

I've been tempted to put it down a couple of times because I'm not sure I have the patience to continue. The only thing that has stopped me is that I know it is considered a modern classic, so whatever happens must be worth the wait. I just wish she'd get on with it.

That is probably why I like John Grisham books. With him the story really does start on the first page.

Currently reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt.

I'm about a quarter of the way through, and at the moment i'm finding it actually quite frustrating in that she keeps alluding to what is going to happen, but nothing has yet.

I've been tempted to put it down a couple of times because I'm not sure I have the patience to continue. The only thing that has stopped me is that I know it is considered a modern classic, so whatever happens must be worth the wait. I just wish she'd get on with it.

That is probably why I like John Grisham books. With him the story really does start on the first page.

Stick with it mate, it's a good book. Read it awhile back.

As Cloud Atlas is like wading through a sea of treacle, I've put it down to read Danny Baker's autobiography.

My wife and I both saw the film last year and could not understand it .:nope:

It's the oddest thing I have ever read. Some eras I raced through, others I just cant take in - the "middle" chapter which is set in the far future for example. Dunno if I'll go back to it this time.

A Storm of Swords book 2. (again).

Watching Game of Thrones realise how much Ive forgotten after reading them some time ago so thought Id re-read ready for the new book, whenever that may be....

From Prince Avenue Book Club - "The Shock of the Fall" - Nathan Filer - early days showing great promise - must be a good 'un cos it won costa book of the year 2013.

It's the oddest thing I have ever read. Some eras I raced through, others I just cant take in - the "middle" chapter which is set in the far future for example. Dunno if I'll go back to it this time.

I finished it (on the recommendation of a writer mate) but fortunately don't seem to be able to remember anything about it,except that it was wierd.

Spike - an intimate memoir - Norma Farnes. The author was Spike Milligan's manager for 30 years & this is her insight into the man. Basically it's a series of extreme bursts of work followed by mental breakdowns with Spike spending days in his office unable to face the world but somehow bring able to entertain a series of lady friends known as the Bayswater Harem.

The Redbreast - Jo Nesbo - Harry Hole book no3. I like these .

Me too. Hes just bought a new one out, read them in order.

Also, just finished The Son by Nesbo, vey good, now reading Neil Warnocks book which is quite entertaining.

Me too. Hes just bought a new one out, read them in order.

Also, just finished The Son by Nesbo, vey good, now reading Neil Warnocks book which is quite entertaining.

Thanks- i'm in order thus far & hope to continue - will keep an eye out for Mr Warnock's - sometimes he talks rubbish but he is very passionate about the game & comes out with some gems.

Just had a week in the south of France and ploughed through a couple of things I've been meaning to read.

Pirlo's autobiography - Waste of time, really. Adores the sound of his own voice and there's nothing too revelatory in there. Lots of garb about how he loves Conte and Prandelli, who just happen to be his managers for Juve and the national team. Funny that.

Diego Torres' book on Mourinho - Much better. Hugely detailed and explosive account of Mourinho's time in charge of Madrid, how he built his empire and how it came crashing down. Some of the detail is extraordinary and it'll completely change your mind about Mourinho and his grasp on reality. Jorge Mendes is a parasite.

Michael Calvin's book on Millwall - Excellent. Sensational stuff and a must-read for everyone that attempts to denounce football and footballers as overpaid prima donnas.

Racing Through The Dark by David Millar - golden boy of British cycling busted for taking drubs and his journey back from the depths. Won plenty of gongs so I have high hopes and so far, so good.

RacingThroughTheDark_medium.jpg

Back