• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not easy reading due to the structure of the book; no chapters, barely any breaks, just a long whinge. It is entertaining though.

Put me right off! Went for Yeah Yeah Yeah by St. Ettienne's Bob Stanley instead. A history of pop, should be good.

Javier Marías:The Infatuations.Brillant.

Probably Spain's greatest living novelist.

I supposose I should read his stuff in Spanish but tbf I do read (and enjoy) his weekly column in El Pais.

Put me right off! Went for Yeah Yeah Yeah by St. Ettienne's Bob Stanley instead. A history of pop, should be good.

Morrissey spends a lot of the book moaning about useless agents and record company people. Essentially that they did what I've done; a really bad job of promoting his work.

But thanks for reminding me about Bob Stanley! I've been meaning to pick that up for a while. Off to buy it now...

In It by Jonathan Robinson. Defrauded his employer and was sentenced to prison. Quite enjoyable light reading- at first I thought the title reflected the face he was In It - prison, but he says nearly ever fellow prisoner ends every sentence with innit so a good double meaning sort of thing going on.

Fred Inglis's excellent biography of Richard Hoggart, (probably the greatest living Englishman, after Jarvis Cocker and Wayne Rooney, of course).:winking:

(Highly informative,for example, I had no idea that RH initially failed his scholarship exam).

Last edited:
Futebol Nation (A footballing History of Brazil) by David Goldblatt.

An excellent social and political history of the (not always so) beautiful game in Brazil.

Very good on the recent troubles and the Lula,Rousseff, Presidencies.

Ideal beach reading.

Currently enjoying Jake Arnott's well-written Johnny Come Home.A (loosely based), fictional account of the Angry Brigade.It's much better on the sexual politics of the late 6o's/early 70's than the radical politics of the time,however.

Being made into a C4 TV drama,apparently.

Just finishing up "The Footballer Who Could Fly" by Duncan Hamilton. A beautifully written nostalgic journey through his, and his father's, lives as lived through football. Essentially a series of essays about some of the greats, such as Jackie Milburn, Bobby Charlton and Bobby Robson, interspersed with tales from the author's childhood.

Best sports book I've read for a while.

Indeed - I read this in the foreword - also I think there's a similair character in Stephen King's " The Dream-weaver" I think it is - A book I do not want to be reminded of due it being obscenely overwritten.

Back