• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Edited
How a side can be so dominant in one half and then lose it over a half-time break is beyond me. It really makes you wonder what the half-time talk is all about and the problem may have been that we took a 1 nil lead into the break.

As far as the team is concerned last year we relied upon the Egan/Sokolik partnership which was dominant, reliable and each of them knew their roles.

Unfortunately, the Thompson/Prosser partnership simply is not good enough.

It appears Thompson gets caught out of position far too often and although Prosser did for the goal against Morecombe, Thompson was the wrong side of his man, and to look at Thompson's defending for the goal on Saturday when he virtually fell over his own feet is no more than Sunday league standard. Why didn't he just stand up, instead he tries to flick out with his foot and falls flat on his face. Absolutely laughable defending.

We then have Williams who looks totally disinterested and all of a sudden our back 4 is a shambles which cannot defend.

When you have a manager, and don't get me wrong I like Phil Brown, who tries to defend a 1 nil lead, we simply do not have the personnel to do so.

Last edited:
Be interested to know the ratio of shots on goal during the first half of matches compared to the second.
Anybody know?

Thanks

interesting to hear Brown on the radio saying that he was pleased with the changes he made but he will make changes again for Newport.......FFS why!!!! unless someone is injured or suspended let this line up have a couple of games to settle down......but oh no the Tango Man is going to change it again,will he ever make his ****ing mind up and settle for a line up and keep to it....he must know which one he wants and everyone keeps telling me he is a top notch manager and got Hull in to the premership blah,blah,blah so come on Mr Brown make your mind up now please

About 2 weeks ago people were moaning that Brown never made changes and now are moaning he keeps making changes.

It appears Thompson gets caught out of position far too often and although Prosser did for the first goal to look at Thompson's defending for the second goal when he virtually fell over his own feet is no more than Sunday league standard. Why didn't he just stand up, instead he tries to flick out with his foot and falls flat on his face. Absolutely laughable defending.

I must have missed the second goal we conceded in the 1-1 draw ....

About 2 weeks ago people were moaning that Brown never made changes and now are moaning he keeps making changes.

I must have missed the second goal we conceded in the 1-1 draw ....

He did need to make changes and he did which IMO worked for the first half at least ! I agree with some other posts where they did not think he knows his strongest 11 so I would hope he keeps making them until he finds the 11 that understand what his mentality is and more importantly their roles within it for 90 mins and not 45 !

He did need to make changes and he did which IMO worked for the first half at least ! I agree with some other posts where they did not think he knows his strongest 11 so I would hope he keeps making them until he finds the 11 that understand what his mentality is and more importantly their roles within it for 90 mins and not 45 !

I agree, but the fact that he STILL doesn't know his strongest starting 11 is just not acceptable in my opinion

I thought Barney led the line very well. I know he missed one that we all would have put away, but apart from that he bought a little bit of thought and guile to the game. I'm reasonably content with the midfield players but the two centre back berths need sorting out. I must be honest, at the start of the season I thought we had the back four nicely set up, but injury and such have buggered that up a bit. I would be happy to field the same starting eleven for the next match with the message that it is alright to attack in the second half as well!! I also feel much better for passing comment today rather than in the heat of the moment on Saturday or Sunday.

Last edited:
I agree, but the fact that he STILL doesn't know his strongest starting 11 is just not acceptable in my opinion

Fair point and I can understand why fellow fans are getting concerned over his ability to find it ! I still believe that some of the players don't buy into his mentality hence some dis interest and clueless 2nd half displays ! Some I think simply do not get Phil Brown !

That is the point I'm trying to make, but this poster on the site didn't understand me, make changes and when the team needs it but at the same time the team played better than the crap at Luton so at least stick to this line up for the next game, otherwise the player will have no confuidence in their own abilities or the Managers

That is the point I'm trying to make, but this poster on the site didn't understand me, make changes and when the team needs it but at the same time the team played better than the crap at Luton so at least stick to this line up for the next game, otherwise the player will have no confuidence in their own abilities or the Managers

Not you Boyceyweir
it was Chapper thingy

I doubt players are so fragile that if they don't play a game they lose all confidence in themselves and their manager.

Leonard was played out of position because White picked up an injury, so if he is available then he will go straight back in the team. Leonard himself is coming back from a hamstring injury, which needs to be treated carefully, and if he plays Tuesday it will be his 3rd game in 7 days. Timlin is also coming back from a long injury and it could be his 3rd game in 7 days on Tuesday too.

I also don't get this "Brown doesn't know his strongest 11" comment some have made.

He has played pretty much the same line up, except for a few changes due to injury, suspension and players proving themselves, since the start of the season. He might not have a concrete idea of his strongest 11, but how can he when we have players getting injuries. Timlin hadn't played before Saturday and would be harsh to discount him on that.

Bit of food for thought, is it a bad thing that a manager doesn't have his strongest 11 "set in stone"? Maybe it is more down to the strength in depth and competition for places ...

I doubt players are so fragile that if they don't play a game they lose all confidence in themselves and their manager.

Leonard was played out of position because White picked up an injury, so if he is available then he will go straight back in the team. Leonard himself is coming back from a hamstring injury, which needs to be treated carefully, and if he plays Tuesday it will be his 3rd game in 7 days. Timlin is also coming back from a long injury and it could be his 3rd game in 7 days on Tuesday too.

I also don't get this "Brown doesn't know his strongest 11" comment some have made.

He has played pretty much the same line up, except for a few changes due to injury, suspension and players proving themselves, since the start of the season. He might not have a concrete idea of his strongest 11, but how can he when we have players getting injuries. Timlin hadn't played before Saturday and would be harsh to discount him on that.

Bit of food for thought, is it a bad thing that a manager doesn't have his strongest 11 "set in stone"? Maybe it is more down to the strength in depth and competition for places ...

How do you know this for sure, if the team played well and in the first have that was evident that it was 100% better than what was served up at Luton for the whole 90 minutes, and some of those players are dropped for the next game as a player you would ask questions as to 'why' I got dropped , look at Barnard, came off the pitch to a great ovation from the fans and yet there is a risk of him being dropped so his confidence may be affected

But it's all about opinions from the supporters and at the end of the day Brown makes the final choice......

How do you know this for sure, if the team played well and in the first have that was evident that it was 100% better than what was served up at Luton for the whole 90 minutes, and some of those players are dropped for the next game as a player you would ask questions as to 'why' I got dropped , look at Barnard, came off the pitch to a great ovation from the fans and yet there is a risk of him being dropped so his confidence may be affected

They would have a right to feel aggrieved if they played like that the whole game. Problem is they didnt, the second half was mediocre at best.

Personally I was very happy at half time and thought we played some great stuff, so I wouldnt make many changes other than bringing White back in and considering whether to play Leonard.

They would have a right to feel aggrieved if they played like that the whole game. Problem is they didnt, the second half was mediocre at best.

But even the secon half was better than the whole 90 minutes of dross at Luton

I wasnt at Luton so cant comment on that, but the second half on Saturday was very poor all round.

I wish I hadn't gone either to be honest, I agree with the comment about White going back in the side but that would put Lenny on the Bench or do you drop someone else out of midfield who played well on Saturday

I wish I hadn't gone either to be honest, I agree with the comment about White going back in the side but that would put Lenny on the Bench or do you drop someone else out of midfield who played well on Saturday

They didnt play well for 90 minutes so everyone is open to be replaced.

Personally Deegan for me has to start as despite some wayward passing he does a great job breaking things up. Its a tough one trying to second guess who he would play, Leonard hasnt exactly covered himself in any glory recently to warrant replacing anyone either.

They didnt play well for 90 minutes so everyone is open to be replaced.

Personally Deegan for me has to start as despite some wayward passing he does a great job breaking things up. Its a tough one trying to second guess who he would play, Leonard hasnt exactly covered himself in any glory recently to warrant replacing anyone either.

Deegan has to be the first name from midfield, Worrel and Atkinson did ok so not sure who he will drop if anyone

Back