• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm an "old man" in there with his son. Perhaps it's time I grew up and joined you in the reds to enlighten myself of their football wisdom. I can't watch a game quietly, though (helps get life's frustrations out)

Good on you. Lots of older chaps at the back. One of the main guys does not even sit in TBV section but just close enough to join in.

Well done Phil Brown on producing one of the most boring teams I have ever seen. Seriously needs to sort some attacking activity in the January transfer window.

Good to back after a three month break from Roots Hall but good God that was dull.

Burton came to get the point and to be fair to them they were well organised but the fact that we created so little was very frustrating.

Bolger didn't worry me as much as he has some on here. Looks like there's a decent player there, hopefully he can form a decent partnership with Prosser. Great to see Coker back - clearly not at 100% yet but that'll come soon enough.

Weston and Corr. W & C by name, W.C. by nature. Toilet. Absolute toilet. Brown is 100% responsible for us not being higher up the table. I am absolutely sure we are not going up and equally sure we will not finish in the play-offs.

Well done Phil Brown on producing one of the most boring teams I have ever seen. Seriously needs to sort some attacking activity in the January transfer window.

Did you not go under Sturrocks reign then ?

Seriously, Sturrocks 2nd season produced the results, but even that was the most boring Ive seen in decades.

That said you are correct he certainly needs to sort out the attacking third, seriously lacking in quality/confidence.

It's no secret we need a decent striker if we're going to mount a serious challenge to the automatics this season as we all know we can't pin all our hopes on Barry Corr. Let's wait until January, as I'm almost certain Brown has targets lined up to bolster the attack.

Seriously, Sturrocks 2nd season produced the results, but even that was the most boring Ive seen in decades.

That said you are correct he certainly needs to sort out the attacking third, seriously lacking in quality/confidence.

Yeah Sturrock was boring but at least we scored some goals. Tbh its been a reccuring theme since we came down we have generally been awful to watch at home IMO.

of course - remember i go to most of the away games unlike yourself. At least we scored goals under Sturrock. We were more exciting under Dick Bate as well!

of course - remember i go to most of the away games unlike yourself. At least we scored goals under Sturrock. We were more exciting under Dick Bate as well!

We scored goals but the team was 100% duller than this one. Think Nostalgia is colouring peoples minds, this board was full of complaints about it when we were on our longest winning run in years, that takes some doing.

We scored goals but the team was 100% duller than this one. Think Nostalgia is colouring peoples minds, this board was full of complaints about it when we were on our longest winning run in years, that takes some doing.

did you go yesterday? you couldnt get any duller than that!

Yes you can, you can listen to it on radio like I had to!

The funny thing is the radio commentators are a little more objective than us fans and they were saying throughout it was a good performance, just lacked that quality in the final third.

The funny thing is the radio commentators are a little more objective than us fans and they were saying throughout it was a good performance, just lacked that quality in the final third.

Yeah but they cant really be on the radio going on about how boring the game is, and its their job and they don't have to pay their hard earned to watch it!

I think its the commentators have to be kinder. Lets be fair they are never going to come out with "Southend have been utter dogshite today" or " Bolgers ****ing useless why did we pay money for that" are they. Also they get paid to watch it while we have to pay to watch it. We created nothing and for me that makes it ****ing boring.

I've watched matches far duller than yesterday's! I was actually entertained....it was exciting having both Atkinson and Coker back in the team, their energy gave you the feeling that something COULD happen!

I've watched matches far duller than yesterday's! I was actually entertained....it was exciting having both Atkinson and Coker back in the team, their energy gave you the feeling that something COULD happen!

your easily pleased. Have the game gone on to this moment we still wouldn't have scored

Sounds like PB needs to be more dynamic. We have a wealth of talented central midfielders, and so we must utilise them! Under Sturrock, Timlin was often played out wide left in a tight 4-4-2. And to be fair, his performances were pretty decent. Maybe this should be given food for thought given the form of Weston and Hurst in addition to the emergence of Jack Payne.

We have Leonard, Clifford, Timlin, Atkinson, Deegan and O'Toole (and for me in that order); so PB should make best use of the players at his disposal. By operating Timlin on the left, Jack Payne should be instructed to go out left when Timlin naturally tucks in. He will still have the freedom to roam, but he would need to be disciplined to understand his role.

Therefore, we could play:

Bentley
White, Bolger, Prosser, Coker
Worrall, Leonard, Clifford/Atkinson, Timlin
Payne
Corr/Shaq/New signing

And when we lose the ball/away from home, or Timlin tucks in:

Bentley
White, Bolger, Prosser, Coker
Worrall, Leonard, Clifford/Atkinson, Timlin, Payne
Corr/Shaq/New signing

Agree with most of the above threads;
Ref did ok, but waited far too long to get the cards out and hence the players in order.
Good team effort, but no punch, confidence up front.
Blue Voice did a top job last night, esp in 2nd half :clap:

East Yellows; an equally knowledgeable crowd of folk, think we come under the happy, clappy, not shouty bunch :smile:

Not a bad result if you ask me.. It's a good point against a team that could have otherwise gone top.

My first home game of the season so nice to be back at the Hall and as mentioned, TBV were very good considering the lack of excitement on the pitch and the lack of away fans.

Poor game, though. Start and end of the second half were slightly better but neither team looked like scoring and 0-0 was the right result. Only a couple of real chances and neither keeper had much to do. Burton haven't changed since Rowett left - they were well organised and didn't give us time on the ball, and their tactics of diving, time-wasting and harassing the referee haven't stopped either. You felt that they could've nicked the win if they'd gone for it a bit more but they seemed happy with a point. I guess a point and clean sheet at home to the team 2nd in the league isn't a disaster but it was plain to see that we're in desperate need of a good striker, otherwise it'll be the same story as last season. I thought Brown should've changed things earlier as it was clear that Burton had us sussed, and then when he does make a change he brings on Weston who's only memorable contribution was to fall over when presented with a chance in the box. Ratings:

Bentley 6 - Had very little do do.

White 6 - Quiet, did his job

Bolger 6 - Solid in the air but his passing is woeful at times. Didn't fill me with confidence.

Prosser 6 - A couple of hairy moments but otherwise ok.

Coker 7 - Looked like he'd never been away. Very solid defensively, didn't bomb forward as much as he normally does but that will come back. Nice to have him back and to see him come through 90 minutes.

Hurst 6 - Some nice skills but end product wasn't good enough. Agree with ryan above, would like to see Timlin back on the left for a bit.

Leonard 5 - Can we have last season's Leonard back, please?

Atkinson 7 - MoTM. Best of an average bunch. Did a lot of running and tried to make things happen.

Payne 7 - Didn't get on the ball enough but when he did he looked capable of producing some magic. Was surrounded by Burton players whenever he got the ball though.

Worrall 6 - Not as lively as he has been recently, got into some good positions but like Hurst his end product wasn't there. Burton's full-backs stuck to him well.

Corr 6 - Typical Corr performance really. Won balls in the air, got pushed and pulled around a lot, moaned at the ref and had his back to goal most of the time. Thought he might have had half a shout for a penalty in the 2nd half though when he pulled down from a set-piece.

Weston 4 - See above. He is certainly not a lone striker. If i were Coulthirst I'd be rather annoyed at the moment, and I imagine Spurs are too. Brown admitted in his post-match interview that Weston's low on confidence, so why bring him on? That appearance wont have done his confidence much good.

Ref 5 - Not strong enough. Should've got his cards out earlier than he did and punished Burton for their diving and intimidation. Certainly seen plenty of worse refs, though.

Back