• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Despite the result. It looks like this weekend we have moved up 2 spots to 8th. Good point.
Good point? Depends which way you look at it. We are there due to the good grace of Newport and Exeter losing. Promotion doesn't come from teams around us losing. Prior to last night we were just three points off the automatics, now we are five points adrift. In my opinion that gap doesn't want to get too much wider. I for one can do without the dubious pleasure and excitement of the play-offs........been there done it, more often than not ends in heartache and disappointment. Isn't the record this Century........involved in 4 play-offs and won just once?
When PB arrived, he inherited the solid backbone of a side and got us into the play-offs last season. This year he has had the opportunity to strengthen the squad and unlike his predecessors, it doesn't appear that he has had to deal with embargoes and problems off the field...........there even seems to have been a bit of cash available. Southend United have no God given right to promotion but there is a weight of expectation on PB's shoulders to do the job he was brought here to do. If he can't do it this season when he's had no hinderence and the division appears to be as weak as it ever has been, will he ever be able to do it?
I can take PB's playing one up front; his sometimes strange substitutions, his midfielder obsession, his obsession about not conceding, his reconnaissance of our problems in the final third.........even his tics during interviews. The only thing I can't take and accept is his failure to get us promoted this season. I'm not being unreasonable............am I???

I am sure Phil will get that sorted. Elliot Lee should be back with us soon and let's hope he can score a couple. Would be nice to see the defenders chip in with a few from set pieces though, Barrett esc.

Phil brown has us playing some
good football and I believe we will make the play offs comfortably and with a bit of luck OUSH for automatics. We matched if not bettered a very good Burton side.

I'll have a pint of whatever you are on

Good point? Depends which way you look at it. We are there due to the good grace of Newport and Exeter losing. Promotion doesn't come from teams around us losing. Prior to last night we were just three points off the automatics, now we are five points adrift. In my opinion that gap doesn't want to get too much wider. I for one can do without the dubious pleasure and excitement of the play-offs........been there done it, more often than not ends in heartache and disappointment. Isn't the record this Century........involved in 4 play-offs and won just once?
When PB arrived, he inherited the solid backbone of a side and got us into the play-offs last season. This year he has had the opportunity to strengthen the squad and unlike his predecessors, it doesn't appear that he has had to deal with embargoes and problems off the field...........there even seems to have been a bit of cash available. Southend United have no God given right to promotion but there is a weight of expectation on PB's shoulders to do the job he was brought here to do. If he can't do it this season when he's had no hinderence and the division appears to be as weak as it ever has been, will he ever be able to do it?
I can take PB's playing one up front; his sometimes strange substitutions, his midfielder obsession, his obsession about not conceding, his reconnaissance of our problems in the final third.........even his tics during interviews. The only thing I can't take and accept is his failure to get us promoted this season. I'm not being unreasonable............am I???

Asuming your location is correct, I doubt you get to many games. So a lot of your thoughts and issues are picked up from listening to bias commentary and others hearsay and opinions on here. Can't disagree with someone that wants us to get promotion but also struggle to understand how you can really form an opinion on a manager when you are based abroad.

What I don't understand is Worral wins player of the month playing on the right, so he's moved to the left.

Leonard is at his best driving at other teams and pushing forward, so he's positioned in front of the defence when Timlin, Clifford or Deegan can play there.

Atkinson is neat and tidy but doesn't really push us on.

I don't understand the team selections at all - it could be some much better by playing players in the correct positions.

We do need a more mobile striker though if these tactics persist. I thought Barr Corr played well, won headers and held the ball reasonably well. But once it was controlled it's always passed back and slows us down. We need someone who can hold the ball up, but can also turn on occasion!

Was nice to see Coker back, and the nice flashes of skill by Payne are always nice to see

Asuming your location is correct, I doubt you get to many games. So a lot of your thoughts and issues are picked up from listening to bias commentary and others hearsay and opinions on here. Can't disagree with someone that wants us to get promotion but also struggle to understand how you can really form an opinion on a manager when you are based abroad.

Can't deny what you say about not getting to too many games. There again, there is a differentiation between forming opinions, (which I'm hesitant to do for the reason you have mentioned) and having expectations for a manager. Paul Sturrock was sacked for failing to get us promoted and PB was brought in to succeed, where the latter had failed. You don't have to be in place to understand that PB seems to be in the process of having a hinderence free season. I may not be there to offer a subjective opinion about his managerial abilities but in the end, he will be judged on objective criteria........points on the board..........at the end of the season. All I'm saying is that if we don't gain promotion this year Phil Brown has failed. I really want PB to succeed but I, like a number of others on here, have concerns (even if it is by hearsay) about the progress so far. As I've said before, most of the teams above us appear to be oiling and refining their sides. We still seem to be (evident even from this long distance) in the process of puting the side together and finding out which bits best fit where. Didn't have to be at Roots Hall to observe that two of his main Autumn signings didn't get any game time last night. Nevertheless 'he the manager'........whoever he signs, however he uses his players, in whatever formation...........come May next year, we need to be promoted. Can't get anymore objective than that..........not wanting to put any pressure on you Phil.....know what I mean. :winking:
By your posts you are strongly supportive of PB and that is certainly your prerogative but perhaps you would like to define what exactly you would gauge as success and indeed failure, as far as Phil Brown is concerned?

Why are people being so harsh on Bolger? He made a couple of excellent defensive stops, plays a good ball and looks more of a threat in the opposition box than Prosser does. You can't keep holding the Luton game against him.
First time I've seen him play so went with an open mind despite having heard the criticism of him, honestly struggling to remember seeing such a poor centre back performance in a Southend shirt, looked a liability for the full 90 minutes.

Classic Phil statement and possibly understatement of the year " I think Weston is suffering from a lack of confidence at the moment":hilarious:

Why are people being so harsh on Bolger? He made a couple of excellent defensive stops, plays a good ball and looks more of a threat in the opposition box than Prosser does. You can't keep holding the Luton game against him.
don't think people are remembering Luton, the two over hit balls to Worrall are more in the line of fire

don't think people are remembering Luton, the two over hit balls to Worrall are more in the line of fire

Worrall also over hit a couple of times, don't see people being so critical of him. Bolger, last week, passed an absolutely pinpoint accurate long cross pitch ball to Worrall, was a delight to see. Too many of our players pass a long ball behind where the recipient is so they have to drop back to collect, it's really not good enough...either play the ball to feet or just ahead giving them a chance.

Classic comment on Chris Phillips' twitter feed: 'Good move from Blues. Ball drops to Weston. He tries to work it on to his left foot and falls over'.

I think Phil's biggest problem is trying to fit in Payne, and that's what is leading the shape of the team.

He knows Jack is a bit of a talisman, popular with the fans and can frighten league 2 defenders with his skill.

HOWEVER - I don't think Jack can play as part of a central midfield pairing in a 4-4-2 which means we've got to play him just behind Corr and so can't play another out and out striker.

If he drops Payne to the bench he gets it in the neck from the fans, if he plays him then it's one up front (however he wants to dress up the roles played by Hurst, Weston and Worrall, they're really wide midfielders, not strikers) and he gets it in the neck from fans.

Not really sure what the answer is, I just wish he had a plan B! Personally on Friday I would have taken Payne off after 60-70 minutes and brought on Coulthirst next to Corr just to change it round a bit and give Burton something different to think about.

Personally on Friday I would have taken Payne off after 60-70 minutes and brought on Coulthirst next to Corr just to change it round a bit and give Burton something different to think about.

seems a good way to go. Weston looked alright alongside Corr and Shaq looks like he could do a job in the old BIG MAN/little man gig

Couldn't be bothered to post last night , but here are my observations.

1. I was cold
2. I was bored in first half and only marginally more positive in the 2nd
3. We have missed Coker ( when he is fit he will be a huge asset )
4. Atkinson has 'industry' but no real quality
5. Bolger does 'excellent' and 'woeful' in the space of every 10 mins. I would like something in between please.
6. I was cold
7. We have the only sub centre forward who can receive the ball in a good position and take his own legs away !
8. TBV were very very good in 2nd half
9. Burton are cynical , but they are also very well organised and have high energy when not in possession , so made it tough
10. Leonard did not seem fit to me - just my opinion
11. If I were Clifford and couldn't get on the bench ahead of Deegan and O'Toole , I would think about my future
12. We will continue to be around the play offs all season IMO unless we get a run of goals - Lee ? Williams
13. I was cold
14. Why to people moan at Burton's woeful support of 64 ? Surely those 64 should have big respect ?
15. I was cold
16. I'm a Brown fan but beginning to lose faith , although Coughlin and Penny must also partly share any ctiricism
17. I was cold

I wasn't that cold, but that's a pretty fair assessment.

Although I wasn't a fan of Brown from the beginning and think Clifford needs to think about alternative careers to football.

Did you not go under Sturrocks reign then ?

Seriously, Sturrocks 2nd season produced the results, but even that was the most boring Ive seen in decades.

That said you are correct he certainly needs to sort out the attacking third, seriously lacking in quality/confidence.

Absolute rubbish. This was a game which neither side looked like scoring. Where was the entertainment?

The highlight was of the first half was the Samaritans adverts on the scoreboard and the highlight of the second half was the full time whistle putting us out of our misery.

Sturrock's side had pace and flair with players like Hall and Mohnsi - players who could produce a goal out of nothing AND WERE ENCOURAGED TO TRY.

Moreover, there was also a tactical battle going on. Sturrock would make adjustments and often after a poor first half we would improve and win second half. There was the knowledge that if things weren't working out, the manager would make subtle changes to improve out attacking potentcy.

Now there's no real tactical battle. There's no subtle adjustments dragging opponents out of position. The adjustments are to make us more defensive, not to exploit or, heaven forbid, create chances.

I've watched matches far duller than yesterday's! I was actually entertained....it was exciting having both Atkinson and Coker back in the team, their energy gave you the feeling that something COULD happen!

What entertained you?

OBL you are so right. Too many times players get passes with their back to the goal. Watch this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO3tzMZRhgA

Watch the first goal - passing from the kick-off, not the big boot!

The Atkinson effect. Every time he gets the ball he puts us in a slightly worse position than when he received it. A pass a little bit behind the player, delaying the obvious ball until defenders have got back, passing to feet rather than into space for the player to move onto.

Defensively he was good and I can't fault his workrate, but attack wise every move basically breaks down once he touches it and we have to go back and start again.

In his defence, a draw probably isn't a bad result but **** me it's dire to watch.

It was fairly fast paced and quick moving, that always helps.

Assume you are not talking about Friday night? Fast moving maybe, but only as the ball was being hoofed 60 yards at a time. Didn't see much football being played and our decision making in the final third, summed up by westons two **** ups, was woeful. Don't get the whole much more entertaining under Brown than Sturrock bollocks. At home we are dull and predictable, slightly better away, but 22 league goals in 21 games is not entertainment from where I sit, oh and out of three cups in the first round!

Because he passed the ball directly to their forwards on two occasions and his positional sense is the poorest I have seen from a CB. He got away the passes on this occasion. I don't understand the reference to the Luton game as I think he has been a liability in all but two of the games he has played in.

First game in three years - awful, awful performance! Good to see everyone though, great banter in the pub beforehand - highlight of the night.

Why don't we just play two up front? Why has 4-4-2 gone out of fashion in football? Even though Weston missed a couple of chances, at least he made things happen when he came on...

Can see the concerns re Bolger - hopefully he'll improve.

Roll on Cambridge...

Back