• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can we have a section where we can advertise things like spare seats in cars for away matches, spare tickets, offering to travel together by train etc? Would be useful, of example I'll have an empty car coming back from Oxford next week.

I thought this was already available under the auspices of DoDtS's away travel threads?

Can I ask why you have highlighted these posts in red with BOLD apart from OBL's ? Is it because you are a sexist mod and because like me you believe mrsblue may in fact be a mr ? :smile:
Have done it myself now mate, sheer favouritism I think :winking:

No making your own posts red, that's for our benefit.

Don't make me get all over sensitive and heavy handed about it!

Can I ask why you have highlighted these posts in red with BOLD apart from OBL's ? Is it because you are a sexist mod and because like me you believe mrsblue may in fact be a mr ? :smile:

Ah did I miss one?

I may have missed other real ones too amongst the off topic bickering so by all means if I have let me know.

I can certainly vouch for OBL being of the female variety....

Can we have a section where we can advertise things like spare seats in cars for away matches, spare tickets, offering to travel together by train etc? Would be useful, of example I'll have an empty car coming back from Oxford next week.

This is one of the intentions in the "Other Away Travel" forum, if you look at the Oxford by Road thread (link below) but this is rarely used,

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?79011-OXFORD-by-ROAD-(Parking-lifts-etc)

The object of the Forum is intended to be informative and try and put all away information in one place. Wino and the Trust have their own forums for the excellent job they do, this is for Train Travel, Road Travel, Where to drink and Ticket Information. for each away match.

All this information is available elsewhere, but putting it all in one place is hopefully an asset for Shrimperzone and all are welcome to post and add to the information.

The trouble is few seem to know of its existence or use it.

DoDtS

Another forum I post on lets you know when you've been quoted in a post, it comes up at the top under messages similar to when you've received rep and takes you straight to the post.

Might be a bit easier than looking through pages and pages to see if you've been answered.

Ken, Cricko, come on now, I've been asking for this for ages. It's an excellent tool

I agree about the mods being over sensitive and throwing about their weight for no real reason on a discussion board.

To answer this, any interventions are made with the best intentions. We encourage lively debate and disagreement, but no-one wins if it ever gets personal or abusive.

Sometimes we will get it wrong, but there are no formal guidelines on how to moderate. We just do what we can to keep SZ as civil as possible.

If anyone does have any genuine gripes about how they feel a thread or poster has been moderated, please get in touch.

Not sure if it's possible, but is there any way of banning a poster from a thread? Too many times a decent thread is locked because a couple of posters are unable to behave properly.

Why do you have to log into S/Z after viewing a couple of posts.
Why not just allow unlimited access just to read posts as a guest?
I think after reading posts for a while more members would join.

I agree with this. Also, when I'm looking at SZ on my phone, I'm never going to try and post on there, but asking me to log in to read stuff is annoying.

I agree with this. Also, when I'm looking at SZ on my phone, I'm never going to try and post on there, but asking me to log in to read stuff is annoying.

Another genuine question (...and thanks to Westy for giving some insight on the first log-in question): work log-in situations aside, why would you not just log-in once then stay logged in?

We ask people to log in because we want to understand the number of users visiting the site.

Maybe tis is already available (if so I can't find it) - how about being able to choose your own font and text colour automatically?

I'd choose this for mine.

A less genuine question, more a rhetorical one. Why would anyone want that!?

Posts should be about the content, not the colour, not the poster, not the font - and certainly not any 'ooh, look at me with my different, barely legible font preference'. We already have the tools to highlight words/phrases as necessary. In my opinion, a myriad of user-chosen fonts would seriously affect the look and feel of the site and negatively affect the user experience.

"A less genuine question, more a rhetorical one. Why would anyone want that!?"

The same reason you may wear blue jeans, I may choose black, for example. Just personal preference.

Thanks for all the feedback and the very helpful replies by our Mods. Some of the things that have been asked for are already on the forum like,whats new or new posts etc, you just have to have a good look around the options available on here. Others are just not possible with vB.

We are looking through all the suggestions but for now we will implement 3 of them over the next few days.

They are:

Embedded tweets: (I give in :winking: and we have found a solution to this.)
Like and Thanks buttons on posts:
Notification of quoted posts: You will be sent a pm notification if somebody quotes your post (this is a trial, so lets see how this one pans out as it may cause more bother than it is worth to you all)

I'm not really very computer literate, so I have no idea how complicated, sophisticated or practical the following would be. I was thinking of a facility for posting photos or small videos, rather like FB.............silly (expensive) idea???

I'm not really very computer literate, so I have no idea how complicated, sophisticated or practical the following would be. I was thinking of a facility for posting photos or small videos, rather like FB.............silly (expensive) idea???

You can already do that using these icons (click on it to enlarge)...

SZ.jpg

Bit late now, but instead of posters being banned for going over the top maybe a 'sin bin' facility could be introduced for persistent ********s. Mods to despatch said offender for 24 hours with the bin being visible to other posters. Maybe publicity would curb some of the more persistent offenders. The only difficulty may be criteria, but not insurmountable I wouldn't have thought.

Thanks for all the feedback and the very helpful replies by our Mods. Some of the things that have been asked for are already on the forum like,whats new or new posts etc, you just have to have a good look around the options available on here. Others are just not possible with vB.

We are looking through all the suggestions but for now we will implement 3 of them over the next few days.

They are:

Embedded tweets: (I give in :winking: and we have found a solution to this.)
Like and Thanks buttons on posts:
Notification of quoted posts: You will be sent a pm notification if somebody quotes your post (this is a trial, so lets see how this one pans out as it may cause more bother than it is worth to you all)

3 really good ideas that will make the best forum on the planet even better

As for the third idea, mrsblue's inbox will be full in minuites

To answer this, any interventions are made with the best intentions. We encourage lively debate and disagreement, but no-one wins if it ever gets personal or abusive.

Sometimes we will get it wrong, but there are no formal guidelines on how to moderate. We just do what we can to keep SZ as civil as possible.

If anyone does have any genuine gripes about how they feel a thread or poster has been moderated, please get in touch.

certain posters always get away with much more than others. These posters are the ones with 0000s of post, it stupid just cause they post and have been on here years they think they can get away with treating people like ****

Back