• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How can people rate bentley 6/10 when they had 5 shots on target and scored 4, whilst not even taking goal kicks? What did he actually do to get a 6?

Look, I wasn't there, so I know nothing. Sounded as though our defence handled the threat of Stevenage (which wasn't much), reasonably well...............until the entry and pace of Kennedy and Zola...........then we were cruelly exposed. Am I anywhere near the mark?

1st half neither defences we really tested, except that cross (and i'd love to see it again) somehow evaded everyone and all we had to show was a Corr free header that went over the bar.

2nd half we came out all guns blazing and had more attacking play in the 1st 10 minutes then we had in the whole 1st half. Pigott really took his goal well and the penalty was the other side from me but looked 'soft'. however at 2-1 up we looked like the side most likely to score. i think Brown's mistake was to delay making changes we visibly tired and the changes they made gave them a lift. When he did make a change (after the equaliser) he took the wrong player off in my view.

Also I don't get the criticism of the CB's. As I mentioned I don't think Barrett put a foot wrong, I can't see him at fault for any of the goals and Bolger wasn't as bad as people are making out. My main point (broken record) is that we don't kill games off. Brown, I believe, thinks we can hang on to slender one goal leads, when clearly we can't (all the time).

I do not agree with his assessment 'they wanted it more' because they didn't.

We've shipped 4 to an average side today. And whatever criticisms you level at us usually - we don't generally concede goals. The centre halves were rubbish second half. Was the keeper fit?

We've also thrown away leads at Shrewsbury and Stevenage. That's why it's likely to be play offs for us and not automatics. Not hard enough, disciplined enough, whatever. If you look at what we have to select from, our chairman has been far more generous than the other 23. How he's managed this I'm scared to ask. But Brown has been backed and needs to deliver.

Squad is too big, isn't it. Been saying that for weeks. Need a tight knit unit at this level - we're not in the champions league! I watch them regularly and I don't know what the best side is any more. I'm not in the Brown out camp, but have the following questions:

1. Why have we re-signed Barrett? We already have umpteen centre halves. He can punch the air as much as he likes - he's taken Prosser's place and whilst we love him we didn't need him.
  2. How the hell does Bolger get in the side above Thompson? The latter has enjoyed his best ever form in recent weeks. If he's ill, fair enough. I've seen Bolger play numerous times now and he always looks a nervous wreck. He may end up being a perfectly good pro, but currently he should be in our side when everyone else isn't available.
  3. Not knocking Leonard, but he's off form. Every other player gets rested in that scenario, so why not Ryan? He can come back in a few weeks with his batteries charged. Understand you want to bring Hurst on, but why does Timlin go off? Should have been Timlin and Deegan in the middle.
  4. Ted Smith. In goal last week, not in the squad this week? What does that do to a player's confidence? Same with Thompson. If Ted is the number 2 keeper, why are we paying Paul? SURELY we need the money? If Paul is the number 2, why did Ted play last week?
  5. What happened with Connor Clifford? Quality player.
  6. I'd be interested to see the stats regarding when Atkinson plays and when he doesn't. Get the feeling he's the sort of player that rarely shines, but we get better results when he's playing. The James Milner of league 2?
  7. We currently have Corr, Cassidy, Piggott, Coulthirst, Payne in attack. And apart from Piggott we haven't got a clue what to do with them. It's too much - get rid.
  8. Stop signing players. If he can't get us up with what he has........

The solution : Rest Leonard, send Bolger on loan, send back JBW, send back Cassidy (not because he's ***** - because we have Corr, Piggott, Coulthirst, Payne, and that's enough). That will enable us to re-group and we'll be stonger in attack than defence, which is no bad thing. Rant over. UTB.

We've shipped 4 to an average side today. And whatever criticisms you level at us usually - we don't generally concede goals. The centre halves were rubbish second half. Was the keeper fit?

We've also thrown away leads at Shrewsbury and Stevenage. That's why it's likely to be play offs for us and not automatics. Not hard enough, disciplined enough, whatever. If you look at what we have to select from, our chairman has been far more generous than the other 23. How he's managed this I'm scared to ask. But Brown has been backed and needs to deliver.

Squad is too big, isn't it. Been saying that for weeks. Need a tight knit unit at this level - we're not in the champions league! I watch them regularly and I don't know what the best side is any more. I'm not in the Brown out camp, but have the following questions:

1. Why have we re-signed Barrett? We already have umpteen centre halves. He can punch the air as much as he likes - he's taken Prosser's place and whilst we love him we didn't need him.
  2. How the hell does Bolger get in the side above Thompson? The latter has enjoyed his best ever form in recent weeks. If he's ill, fair enough. I've seen Bolger play numerous times now and he always looks a nervous wreck. He may end up being a perfectly good pro, but currently he should be in our side when everyone else isn't available.
  3. Not knocking Leonard, but he's off form. Every other player gets rested in that scenario, so why not Ryan? He can come back in a few weeks with his batteries charged. Understand you want to bring Hurst on, but why does Timlin go off? Should have been Timlin and Deegan in the middle.
  4. Ted Smith. In goal last week, not in the squad this week? What does that do to a player's confidence? Same with Thompson. If Ted is the number 2 keeper, why are we paying Paul? SURELY we need the money? If Paul is the number 2, why did Ted play last week?
  5. What happened with Connor Clifford? Quality player.
  6. I'd be interested to see the stats regarding when Atkinson plays and when he doesn't. Get the feeling he's the sort of player that rarely shines, but we get better results when he's playing. The James Milner of league 2?
  7. We currently have Corr, Cassidy, Piggott, Coulthirst, Payne in attack. And apart from Piggott we haven't got a clue what to do with them. It's too much - get rid.
  8. Stop signing players. If he can't get us up with what he has........

The solution : Rest Leonard, send Bolger on loan, send back JBW, send back Cassidy (not because he's ***** - because we have Corr, Piggott, Coulthirst, Payne, and that's enough). That will enable us to re-group and we'll be stonger in attack than defence, which is no bad thing. Rant over. UTB.

Send Coulthirst back. He came on and looked so uninterested it's unreal

Also I don't get the criticism of the CB's. As I mentioned I don't think Barrett put a foot wrong, I can't see him at fault for any of the goals and Bolger wasn't as bad as people are making out.

Teams concede goals. I'm not one of these who, as soon as we let one in, asks if "Paul Smith got stuck on his line". But all 4 goals today were defensively questionable which is unusual for us. We may be unspectacular in the final third, but we're generally solid at the back - second half today we were pulled to bits. Bolger played as he always does in a Southend shirt - without conviction. I simply do not understand how he was selected above Thompson, who has been very much 'on form'. Perhaps there's a sensible explanation, but I've yet to hear it.

Send Coulthirst back. He came on and looked so uninterested it's unreal

I didn't see this. By the time he was sent on, our entire gameplan had already fallen to bits - there was so much more to find fault with out there today. When Coulthirst went back to Spurs earlier in the season he netted twice for their U21s - there's a player there who would thrive if he had better players around him - a bit like Cauley Woodrow. We should keep him instead of Cassidy as he offers us something different - pace and guile. Cassidy has attributes too, but many of his are shared by Corr and Piggott.

Teams concede goals. I'm not one of these who, as soon as we let one in, asks if "Paul Smith got stuck on his line". But all 4 goals today were defensively questionable which is unusual for us. We may be unspectacular in the final third, but we're generally solid at the back - second half today we were pulled to bits. Bolger played as he always does in a Southend shirt - without conviction. I simply do not understand how he was selected above Thompson, who has been very much 'on form'. Perhaps there's a sensible explanation, but I've yet to hear it.

I am usually highly critical of Bolger but didn't see him make a mistake until very late in the game and played well, was strong and very good in the air. Barrett was immense from what I saw, won everything in the air and tackled well.

As for the goals conceded, the first was odd, looked like the striker missing the header from the cross wrong footed everyone as they were expecting a header.

Second goal was Leonard being tricked into making the foul. As I was in the second row behind the goal, couldn't really see the build up to the third and fourth goals so no idea who messed up for them.

Not getting the whole Bolger Barrett bashing, both won plenty of headers and did the simple things right, maybe Bolger backed off a little for the 3rd goal but that's ultra critical.

I am usually highly critical of Bolger but didn't see him make a mistake until very late in the game and played well, was strong and very good in the air. Barrett was immense from what I saw, won everything in the air and tackled well.

As for the goals conceded, the first was odd, looked like the striker missing the header from the cross wrong footed everyone as they were expecting a header.

Second goal was Leonard being tricked into making the foul. As I was in the second row behind the goal, couldn't really see the build up to the third and fourth goals so no idea who messed up for them.

My friend, the second was Leonard making a hash of it in midfield, charging back to make amends, and doing something that made me immediately say "penalty" (I don't know if it was, or if it wasn't). Bolger NO WAY played with the assurance of Thompson. Both Thompson and Prosser don't win man of the match awards (Barrett would), but very rarely do they do something that draws themselves to the spectator's attention. I value them for that. I've also just summarised John White.

Not getting the whole Bolger Barrett bashing, both won plenty of headers and did the simple things right, maybe Bolger backed off a little for the 3rd goal but that's ultra critical.

Fair play to you. You're about the third person to defend Bolger so maybe I'm being harsh. But I still don't understand what Thompson has done to lose his place.

Would be difficult to pick a MOM for us today and before the big out cry about PB and his tactics we actually conceded the penalty and their 3rd goal whilst committing lots of players forward. We had possession deep in their half but some poor choices of pass left us exposed at the back.

Most wanted changes at the back and that's what we got. Stevenage only had 5 shots at goal and Bolger played better than the reports he will get on the zone, but as we know with JBW [Pre Accrington] we never let a good performance spoil our dislike of certain players.

Deegan was the right choice instead of Payne for this ground, played well and I total disagree with the rubbish that he's no good on the ball.

Some have not been happy with Cassidy for Corr. But at 2-2 he created the best chance in the match and should have opened his club account. Does his miss make it a bad substitution ?

Forget the fourth goal in the 95 min. Just very disappointed for the large away support as it was never a 4-2

It is a game we should have won .But some how contrived to throw it away .The pitch did look like a ploughed field .But have to say at times we coped wit it quite well . Ref and one lino were really poor gave them every thing as soon as a stevenage player fell over .But gave us very little Apart from the pen that really wasnt one .Still only early doors yet plenty more to play for this season this season .

Agree with all of this. Third goal shouldn't have counted as the ball was clearly out (I was in seat 4 so very right in the stand and those around us could see the whole ball crossing the line).

Would be difficult to pick a MOM for us today and before the big out cry about PB and his tactics we actually conceded the penalty and their 3rd goal whilst committing lots of players forward. We had possession deep in their half but some poor choices of pass left us exposed at the back.

Most wanted changes at the back and that's what we got. Stevenage only had 5 shots at goal and Bolger played better than the reports he will get on the zone, but as we know with JBW [Pre Accrington] we never let a good performance spoil our dislike of certain players.

Deegan was the right choice instead of Payne for this ground, played well and I total disagree with the rubbish that he's no good on the ball.

Some have not been happy with Cassidy for Corr. But at 2-2 he created the best chance in the match and should have opened his club account. Does his miss make it a bad substitution ?

Forget the fourth goal in the 95 min. Just very disappointed for the large away support as it was never a 4-2

He played a lot of good balls forward that found a yellow shirt, a couple of which were cross field balls. The passion from Deegan after Corr scored the penalty was brilliant.

Also, for the whole of the first half, the Stevenage players got away with murder and Deegan gave it back in bundles with a lovely flying over the top lunge on the Stevenage player early in the second half. Other than that, his tackles were perfectly timed and deserved his start

Fair play to you. You're about the third person to defend Bolger so maybe I'm being harsh. But I still don't understand what Thompson has done to lose his place.
Surely Thompson was injured to not even make the bench? Find it very difficult to believe Brown chose to completely leave him out of the squad.. Ridiculous if he did though.

He played a lot of good balls forward that found a yellow shirt, a couple of which were cross field balls. The passion from Deegan after Corr scored the penalty was brilliant.

Also, for the whole of the first half, the Stevenage players got away with murder and Deegan gave it back in bundles with a lovely flying over the top lunge on the Stevenage player early in the second half. Other than that, his tackles were perfectly timed and deserved his start

Looked to us like their 22, Lee was quite dangerous in the first half. After Deegan's flying header had inflicted a dose of whiplash, he disappeared and was subbed.

Surely Thompson was injured to not even make the bench? Find it very difficult to believe Brown chose to completely leave him out of the squad.. Ridiculous if he did though.

Hope this was the case. For me the best combination of centre backs is Prosser and Thompson, why the hell did Bolger get a start when he's been the worst defender this season (2 stupid sending's off and numerous casual performances). Sounds like Leonard needs as least 1 game on the bench, at least to give him a kick up the arse if nothing else. What's most disappointing for me is that possibly our 2 most talented players, Leonard and Hurst, are having such poor seasons, we need goals from midfield and it's just not happening. :sad:

Back