• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Annoying result after getting 2-1 in front. Didn't go, but sounded like a decent performance. My only gripe is the substitution of Timlin. If I was the gaffer, and we had gone 2-1 up, Tims is the last person I would take off. His energy, tackling and experience is exactly what's needed in that situation. Perhaps those that were there can prove me wrong !

We lost because we sat back after going 2-1 up, we were bossing the game when we got the penalty but invited the pressure after that and paid the price. A schoolboy mistake when there was so much time still left. Simple.

Interesting question is whether the decision to sit back was Brown's tactical instruction or the team collectively being too conservative.

That 17 minutes has cost us automatic promotion in my view. Gaining 5-7 points on the top 3 will be tough. We've also allowed Luton to get back in front of us. Disappointing again.

We lost because we sat back after going 2-1 up, we were bossing the game when we got the penalty but invited the pressure after that and paid the price. A schoolboy mistake when there was so much time still left. Simple.

Interesting question is whether the decision to sit back was Brown's tactical instruction or the team collectively being too conservative.

At 2-1 Worrall overlaps Pigott down the right. But critically for us, instead of a simple pass, he chose a far more difficult cross field ball to Coker, who was attacking down the left. Coker struggles with a header, they clear , Lenny misses a midfield tackle and chases back to concede a poor penalty in the left back position. Certainly weren't being defensive at the time. Similar situation for the 3rd goal but we were going for the winner.

It was not a case of sitting back that cost us but not using, as PB would put it, 'Nous' whilst leading 2-1 away from home.

By the way as they were waiting to take the penalty, Worrall gave Pigott an almighty 'telling off'!!

I said when we signed Barrett we would ship goals on his return and I was right. Think only Spoons and rigsby agreed with me. Am i happy with that no. People who were at the game saying he had a great game. WHAT GAME WERE YOU WATCHING, Out of the two CBs Bolger had the best game. I am utterly dumfounded that Thompson was removed from the squad completely, and Prosser wasnt even on the bench. Thompson has been outstanding. He has one shaky game and then removed from the squad completely. Prosser and Thompson should have been out two CBs today. 6 changes after one defeat. You have to be kidding me. How we have lost today against an awful Stevenage team is just unfathomable. So angry and upset. I just havent got the minerals for another play off heartache, I really havent.
As for Stevenage as a place. Honestly thought I was in Basildon.

Surely Thompson was injured to not even make the bench? Find it very difficult to believe Brown chose to completely leave him out of the squad.. Ridiculous if he did though.
According to CP Thommo was definitely not injured today just left out of the squad!!

I said when we signed Barrett we would ship goals on his return and I was right. Think only Spoons and rigsby agreed with me. Am i happy with that no. People who were at the game saying he had a great game. WHAT GAME WERE YOU WATCHING, Out of the two CBs Bolger had the best game. I am utterly dumfounded that Thompson was removed from the squad completely, and Prosser wasnt even on the bench. Thompson has been outstanding. He has one shaky game and then removed from the squad completely. Prosser and Thompson should have been out two CBs today. 6 changes after one defeat. You have to be kidding me. How we have lost today against an awful Stevenage team is just unfathomable. So angry and upset. I just havent got the minerals for another play off heartache, I really havent.
As for Stevenage as a place. Honestly thought I was in Basildon.
Barrett was in no way at fault for any of the goals. He had a good game. Wouldn't have made any difference playing Thompson and Prosser because the goals conceded weren't caused by the center backs.

Agree that Thompson shouldn't have been dropped but that wasn't why we lost.

Terrible decision. Brown must be alienating some of the players. He has stock piled too many positions. Thommo has to be restored next week and Bolger we should ask for a refund!

Barrett was in no way at fault for any of the goals. He had a good game. Wouldn't have made any difference playing Thompson and Prosser because the goals conceded weren't caused by the center backs.

Agree that Thompson shouldn't have been dropped but that wasn't why we lost.

Might as well not played any centre backs then. Barrett and Bolger were all over the place the entire game. When we conceed and Binnon Williams is playing, he is the scapegoat. Barrett plays, and its nothing to do with the central defence.

Last edited:
So neither Thompson or Prosser were injured yet both sat in the stands. For what's it's worth and ivd already said tonight I thought both CB did well today, however if fit, Thompson should have played and Prosser at the very least should have been on the bench. PB is vast becoming mr tinkerman but without any sense if logic. Timlin off today yet Leonard stayed on, bizarre. I will get shot down but we will not get promoted with PB in charge end of.

An unimaginative game. White, Coker, Pigott, Corr and Timlin deserve mentions from our side. Stevenage looked bang average and it's a real worry that teams have started sitting back against us when we're away from home.

I loathe to mention the referee, it's really important that teams/players understand and take responsibility for their mistakes. But today, the man in black was laughable. In the first half we got nothing, not one 50/50, not one aerial foul... nothing. An insulting amount of 1st half timewasting by the home team went unpunished. In the second half the game opened up but the quality from the officials stay lacking. We got a penalty for no real reason (a stamp resumably?) and when Stevenage scored their 4th the player wasn't booked for celebrating with the fans. One might argue that he was favouring the home team but I think that he was fundamentally incompetent and, as the old saying goes, isn't fit to referee.

Might as well not played any centre backs then. Barrett and Bolger were all over the place the entire game. When we conceed and Binnon Williams is playing, he is the scapegoat. Barrett plays, and its nothing to do with the central defence.

were you there...? Both played really well, and were not at fault for any of the goals. The first was a bit of a fluke, lenny gave away the penalty, we were all forward for the third that should never have happened because the ludicrous Lino / ref combo allowed them to play on when the ball totally crossed the sideline and they didn't give the throw in. The fourth was a rare Coker error and we were caught on the break.

4-2 was flattering for them, but to be fair they kept going and we took out foot off the pedal at 2-1 when we should have finished them off.

Of course the central defence has to take some blame but:

1st goal- Complete luck, White or the midfielders marking on the throw should have closed down the shot (cross) and maybe Bolger should have cleared it (I don't want him to play anyway) but it was just a fluke.
2nd goal- Leonard gave away a penalty, centre backs can't be blamed for that.
3rd goal- Counter attack that neither JBW, Thompson or Prosser would have stopped.
4th goal- We were going all out attack and Coker handed them a chance on a plate, again nothing to do with the centre backs.

Whilst the decision to play Bolger over Thompson and Prosser was nothing short of mad, I'm almost certain we would have lost that game with either of them playing anyway. If anything Coker and White were to blame more than the centre backs, we were constantly exposed out wide. There is no reason to put all the blame on Barrett and Bolger, especially when Coker was the one who gifted them a goal.

How can people rate bentley 6/10 when they had 5 shots on target and scored 4, whilst not even taking goal kicks? What did he actually do to get a 6?

Because there is some weird love-in for the guy. Apparently he can do no wrong. He doesn't need all this love as he loves himself enough. The fact he takes his position last and exits the pitch last so he can get his own separate ovation should tell you everything about this self-obsessed man.

By the way, he is a good goal keeper. He's just self obsessed and selfish.

Surely Thompson was injured to not even make the bench? Find it very difficult to believe Brown chose to completely leave him out of the squad.. Ridiculous if he did though.

Chris Phillips reported that Thompson was not injured.

Yep we keep bringing players back great signing with the hart but not the head no pace at the back today at all

On the way through the town centre I walked past a mural of Stevenage heroes - actors, musicians, inventors and Mitchell Cole lifting the FA Vase. It didn't have his name on it but I recognised him and then google told me he did play for them at that time.

People who were at the game saying he had a great game. WHAT GAME WERE YOU WATCHING, Out of the two CBs Bolger had the best game. I am utterly dumfounded that Thompson was removed from the squad completely, and Prosser wasnt even on the bench. Thompson has been outstanding. He has one shaky game and then removed from the squad completely. Prosser and Thompson should have been out two CBs today.
When I saw the line up I told my kids Bodger and Badger were playing for Southend today. They said I was talking bollocks.... I don't have the heart to tell them I was right.

Back