• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Euro 2016 qualifiers

If it hadn't of been for Bale...

At least I actually watched the game rather than just voicing an asinine opinion.

Seems you did both? A Business English teacher you say? :winking:

As for Wales, like any football team, a scoring player can only be the difference if the defence is doing their job. Full credit to Gareth Bale that he's publicly recognising the contribution of his whole team. No side has kept more clean sheets in Euro 2016 qualifying than Wales.

Seems you did both? A Business English teacher you say? :winking:

A jet-lagged EFL teacher most certainly.

As for Wales, like any football team, a scoring player can only be the difference if the defence is doing their job. Full credit to Gareth Bale that he's publicly recognising the contribution of his whole team. No side has kept more clean sheets in Euro 2016 qualifying than Wales.

As for Cyprus. if Bale had been playing for them they would have won,which was my original point.

I certainly don't begrudge them their eventual qualification, (tomorrow probably), but they won't stay in France long next summer.Like England. :winking:

Last edited:
If it hadn't of been for Bale, Cyprus might have nicked a point.

But Bale did play.

The whole 'one man team' schtick re Bale is becoming a bit tiresome. Of course, he is magnificent and their best player by a street, but the likes of Ramsey, Williams and Taylor are no mugs. Not forgetting HRK of course, good to see someone who once wore our colours performing well at that level.

Also, having one extraordinary player seems to be working better for Wales than having loads of very good ones (thinking back to the Southall/Hughes/Rush/Ratcliffe era).

But Bale did play.

The whole 'one man team' schtick re Bale is becoming a bit tiresome. Of course, he is magnificent and their best player by a street, but the likes of Ramsey, Williams and Taylor are no mugs. Not forgetting HRK of course, good to see someone who once wore our colours performing well at that level.

Also, having one extraordinary player seems to be working better for Wales than having loads of very good ones (thinking back to the Southall/Hughes/Rush/Ratcliffe era).

Indeed. Wales as a team seem to raise their collective performance to work with Bale, unlike perhaps Ronaldo and Portugal, or Sweden with Zlatan.

But Bale did play.

Yes, I enjoyed seeing HRK again.Ledley King's worth a mention too, in your list.

Bold call, that last one. Seeing as Ledley King is English and retired a couple of years ago.

Clearly I meant Andy King,the Leicester City player.

Obviously still a bit jet-lagged.:winking:

(You Times reading right-wingers don't miss an easy chance to put the boot in,do you)? :smile:

Last edited:
Clearly I meant Andy King,the Leicester City player.

Obviously still a bit jet-lagged.:winking:

(You Times reading right-wingers don't miss an easy chance to put the boot in,do you)? :smile:

Jet lag? Haven't you just come back from Cyprus?

Anyway. Best of luck to Wales tonight - I'm off to the Euros next year and, atmosphere wise, wouldn't be disappointed to be at one of their games.

Three cheers for England too. Not the most testing of groups but we've done it with plenty to spare, giving Hodgson the chance to experiment a bit more ahead of next summer.

Jet lag? Haven't you just come back from Cyprus?

Anyway. Best of luck to Wales tonight - I'm off to the Euros next year and, atmosphere wise, wouldn't be disappointed to be at one of their games.

Three cheers for England too. Not the most testing of groups but we've done it with plenty to spare, giving Hodgson the chance to experiment a bit more ahead of next summer.

Yes, it was a 4 hour flight due to leave at 5.55 am yesterday (and delayed for an hour).:sad:

Like you, I hope to be seeing some of the Euro games next year but I'll be waiting for the draw in December before deciding which games and cities to go to.

Only two cheers for England I think.I'll certainly be interested to see what Roy can do with some pretty average players next June though.

Yes, it was a 4 hour flight due to leave at 5.55 am yesterday (and delayed for an hour).:sad:

Like you, I hope to be seeing some of the Euro games next year but I'll be waiting for the draw in December before deciding which games and cities to go to.

Only two cheers for England I think.I'll certainly be interested to see what Roy can do with some pretty average players next June though.

So tired rather than jet lag then? Pretty sure the time difference (1 hour isn't it?) isn't enough to warrant jetlag.

As for Wales, it's pretty obvious that they'd be a much poorer side without Bale, but then any team would be much poorer without their star player.

At the end of the day, Bale plays for Wales, therefore it was Wales that beat Cyprus. You don't say that if all the England players were from San Marino, then San Marino would've won yesterday, do you?

So tired rather than jet lag then? Pretty sure the time difference (1 hour isn't it?) isn't enough to warrant jetlag.

As for Wales, it's pretty obvious that they'd be a much poorer side without Bale, but then any team would be much poorer without their star player.

At the end of the day, Bale plays for Wales, therefore it was Wales that beat Cyprus. You don't say that if all the England players were from San Marino, then San Marino would've won yesterday, do you?

Didn't see the England game as I was catching up with my sleep (you're quite right btw about the time difference, clearly I meant tiredness rather than jet lag).

Bale was certainly the reason why Cyprus didn't get anything from the game.

Not sure that would have been the case for SM if Rooney hadn't played.

Didn't see the England game as I was catching up with my sleep (you're quite right btw about the time difference, clearly I meant tiredness rather than jet lag).

Bale was certainly the reason why Cyprus didn't get anything from the game.

Not sure that would have been the case for SM if Rooney hadn't played.

Even though you said it twice. Clearly going senile.

Barna, I think you should give England a little bit of credit for once. Hodgson has done everything asked of him this last year and looking at the way major nations in Europe have stumbled through qualification for the Euros our easy progress is an achievement in itself.

Barna, I think you should give England a little bit of credit for once. Hodgson has done everything asked of him this last year and looking at the way major nations in Europe have stumbled through qualification for the Euros our easy progress is an achievement in itself.

Netherlands say hi.

Well done Iceland by the way - what an achievement for a country of just 330,000.

Back