• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think the point Hawkwell was making is that Barnet don't play at Underhill anymore, they recently moved.

Ooooo I see.

Just like to point out that Orient got relegated, you know in case JS forgets. :whistling:

Someone posted that they got drunk before the Sheffield Wednesday FA cup match and managed to fall over and roll through dog dirt before the game.......

scarborough in the cup - worst away trip ever. rang the wife at half time saying I'm cold, I'm hungry and we're losing 1-0 and it didn't get any better.
worst away match must be Gillingham, Easter 3-4 seasons ago. Summed up as Gillingham were really sh**t and they won 2-0

1-6 away at Brentford, Gordon Barker ( also opener for Essex ) scoring our consolation. Late 50s early 60s, haven't got the book with me at present. Also 0-4 v Norwich at Carrow Road 1958, all goals coming very early in first half. Such fun.

That was last away game 1958-59 and sorry to make things still worse for you but that day I was among the 4,000 odd at Roots Hall to see the reserves thrash Bournemouth to clinch promotion.Sam McCrory-who scored twice,Roy Hollis,Jim Stilrling and Alan Dicks were among the first-teamers "resting " in the reserves that day!

That is the only game I have ever left early. I think we were 1-0 down and they scored again at about 70 minutes so we left. I was so cold I had my scarf wrapped aorund my face trying to stop my nose from dropping off :omg:

NO,we definitely warmed ourselves by taking the lead that day.Sean Goater from close range at the away end.

Bristol Rovers in 2013/14 on a Friday night, ironically on my dad's birthday so he made the journey too.

One of the last games of our 15 game winless streak. The most drab, dull and boring 0-0 imaginable, Freddy looked like he left his knees and any pace in Essex and Barney wasn't much better. Our only decent chance fell to Loza who signed that day and came on as a sub and headed straight into the ground and over from about 2 yards out and the keeper nowhere to be seen.

Add on top of that potentially the most torrential rain and wind that I've ever experienced while standing in an open terrace. Plan was to go out in Bristol for a meal with some friends but we were so drenched through and cold that we didn't bother. I remember getting back after a very long journey in the early hours and my clothes and skin were still dripping wet. The paper bag that we got with some chocolate bars at the ground disintegrated in the rain and it genuinely felt like we'd been pushed into a swimming pool.

I don't think I'm completely dry after that match even now. I rode there by motorbike, got soaked standing on the little terrace, then drove through torrential rain for about 3 and a half hours. I got some very strange looks as I stood in the gents toilet at Northampton services in my underpants trying to dry myself and my kit under the hand dryers. Resorted to wearing carrier bags in my boots and plastic petrol pump gloves inside my sodden leather ones. I've never ever felt so miserable on a bike.

But... MK Dons in the Arctic Circle was still a much more miserable occasion. I remember a few of us huddling around a guy who was smoking an illicit fag trying to leech whatever warmth we could from him.

I remember losing 5-0 to Carlisle away.

That was a grim trip. Neville Southall in goal and Trevor fitzpatrick upfront tells it's own story.

Such matches are character forming. They make you appreciate the good times.

I think we had Mark Stimpson as sweeper, Andy Harris and Ben Lewis as centre-halves. They were so bad we actually missed Keith ****ing Dublin.

Such matches are character forming. They make you appreciate the good times.

I think we had Mark Stimpson as sweeper, Andy Harris and Ben Lewis as centre-halves. They were so bad we actually missed Keith ****ing Dublin.

I'm not sure about character forming, but despite the heading "away game to forget" we don't want to forget and in a strange way we are proud of these disasters. Anyway what will we post on Shrimperzone in the future without these adventures.

WORKINGTON away on FRIDAY 7th.FEBRUARY 1970. Very cold night and we got hammered 5-0. The only saving grace was after the match Manager Ernie Shepherd offered us a lift home which was gratefully accepted. As we boarded the coach Ernie told us what I say to the players on the coach must stay on the coach.(he was not a happy man). As we approached Southend it was about 5am and Ernie told the players they would be in for extra training at 10.30(they were not amused). However it did the trick as in the next match we beat Colchester at home by 2-1 with goals by Billy Best & Gary Moore.

Bristol Rovers in 2013/14 on a Friday night, ironically on my dad's birthday so he made the journey too.

One of the last games of our 15 game winless streak. The most drab, dull and boring 0-0 imaginable, Freddy looked like he left his knees and any pace in Essex and Barney wasn't much better. Our only decent chance fell to Loza who signed that day and came on as a sub and headed straight into the ground and over from about 2 yards out and the keeper nowhere to be seen.

Add on top of that potentially the most torrential rain and wind that I've ever experienced while standing in an open terrace. Plan was to go out in Bristol for a meal with some friends but we were so drenched through and cold that we didn't bother. I remember getting back after a very long journey in the early hours and my clothes and skin were still dripping wet. The paper bag that we got with some chocolate bars at the ground disintegrated in the rain and it genuinely felt like we'd been pushed into a swimming pool.

Without doubt the wettest I have ever been at a football match||

It was not my worst away game,but my-our late mate Whitty(rip mate)..think Nobbler wrote about this before..
It was the 71-72 season,Barrow away..We left Roots Hall,friday night,midnight,traveled the whole night, but before the game kicked off,he decided to have a short "kip",then wake up and see the game..sadly for him,he woke up as we got back on the coach after the game had finished...all that way for nowt.Think we also lost the game 2-0??
was that correct Nobbler??You have a better memory than me!!

One that sticks in my mind is MK Donkeys away when they played at the Hockey Stadium. Ferking freezing and we lost.
That was dire,in the make do temporary seating but we still got promoted in the end. Worse for me was Oct 1984 in Div 4 when we got beat 6-2 away at Aldershot and finished 20th at the end of the season, the lowest I've witnessed. Awful, but still, narrowly beating the next seasons Oct bottom Division visit to Port Vale and a thrashing from the off but only 4-0 in the end. I did'nt go to another Oct away game for over 20 years after those 2 in successive seasons.

ok, i've made my pick, it was a tough one, there are so many to choose from. But I'm surprised (unless I've missed it) that no one yet has chosen Aylesbury away in the FA Cup Round One. "All over the land they will be singing quack quack quack" proudly announced the PA man at the end - it still haunts me to this day.

ok, i've made my pick, it was a tough one, there are so many to choose from. But I'm surprised (unless I've missed it) that no one yet has chosen Aylesbury away in the FA Cup Round One. "All over the land they will be singing quack quack quack" proudly announced the PA man at the end - it still haunts me to this day.

Oh Gawd I forgot that day awful just awful,how bad was we.

Back