• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown: I need better quality in attack

I doubt it is quite wages first. The first consideration is identifying a player that is an improvement on what we have and then considering the type of wages offer that would be required to land the catch. If that falls within budget then an approach goes in. If not then the search goes on.

I seriously doubt we need a twenty goal a season striker. We could do with one that has pace, will score a dozen or so, but keeps the opposition defence on the back foot enough to allow our support players to wade in.

We need to keep the ball in dangerous areas longer and not just see attack after attack mopped up and cleared away.

Don't forget Noel on his reputed 4 large every week ?

These inflated wage claims have only ever been reported by you. We both know you have no idea what players earn but at least you have dropped from 6k a week.

You have had it in for Noel before he had even arrived because he wasn't Jason Williams. But if you continue to make up your figures you will look very silly. Now I wouldn't want anyone on here laughing at you.

These inflated wage claims have only ever been reported by you. We both know you have no idea what players earn but at least you have dropped from 6k a week.

You have had it in for Noel before he had even arrived because he wasn't Jason Williams. But if you continue to make up your figures you will look very silly. Now I wouldn't want anyone on here laughing at you.

Had it in for Noel even before he arrived:smiles::hilarious:

Riggers you have to understand it's an Internet forum where people talk on many matters including football,Noel is just another player playing for us,fans can have different views,some say he is great whilst some may think he ain't worth the outlay,personally if he played most matches he would IMO be worth every penny.

Now try and calm down old bean and stop being hysterical.

Another confusing moment for me (not difficult). This thread is discussing PB's views on the quality, or lack of it, at the club currently. Yep, I get that, so where did the Barry Corr appreciation/depreciation debate wriggle in from? I'm sure that the 'is he/isn't he up to FL1' could run for ages, but surely that race should be in the EX-SHRIMPERS sub forum (little hint here) because that is where Barry and chat about him belong.

i thought this was interesting to read- Barry Corr and systems

shows its not just the systems, but how the playersplay in that system
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Bar...ridge-United/story-28329934-detail/story.html

We all, well many of us, complained of this last season. In defence of PB, my god I am defending him, I think the mids are closer to our one up top this season. We just lack true pace to get onto much of the build-up play. Like I say, we are a tweak away from sorting the problem and the sooner the tweak is made the better.

No-one would question Phils observation...there have been plenty of similar views being expressed on the forum. I would say that we have never had a fit Noel Hunt to show us what he can do. Glimpses on occasion, but if we can have him fit and in the side regularly we may find that we have the player we want already with us and then the other forwards can "do their thing", play to their strengths and we will be a better side for it. In all honestly these are great problems to have sitting 8th in the league at Christmas. I reckon it is well above what many were expecting, with a few expecting us to be around the lower end. I dont think there is anything we need to fear in this league and when the right SUFC turn up, the one that can play great passing football, create chances ....and take them.....then we have a side who will push on from here. If we dont make promotion this season it wont be by much and it will be beyond where most of us imagined our first season back would have looked like. These are good days for the club and with a bit of tweaking (not twirking...that's a completely different thing) we could push the clubs above to the wire....and even sneak in to the play-offs. IMHO

Another confusing moment for me (not difficult). This thread is discussing PB's views on the quality, or lack of it, at the club currently. Yep, I get that, so where did the Barry Corr appreciation/depreciation debate wriggle in from? I'm sure that the 'is he/isn't he up to FL1' could run for ages, but surely that race should be in the EX-SHRIMPERS sub forum (little hint here) because that is where Barry and chat about him belong.
It's a debate about quality of strikers, going by your reckoning we need a possible future shrimpers sub forum too then.

I think it came in when discussing PB's role in the quality he has available. Obviously it seems a little strange to be complaining about the quality you have available when he replaced a superior player (Corr) with an inferior one (Mooney). I suppose Mooney is more durable though, which is a factor if you're also contemplating later signing someone who's 33 in a couple of months and has only started 111 league matches in 7 years.

I think it came in when discussing PB's role in the quality he has available. Obviously it seems a little strange to be complaining about the quality you have available when he replaced a superior player (Corr) with an inferior one (Mooney). I suppose Mooney is more durable though, which is a factor if you're also contemplating later signing someone who's 33 in a couple of months and has only started 111 league matches in 7 years.

Another pointless post about a man who left us. By the way it was Noel Hunt who replaced Corr

I think he is 33 this month ?

I can't be arsed to look but from his 111 starts,how many did he complete(full 90).

Not wading through eight pages, so apologies if much of this is rehashed of posts before, but then again much of ShrimperZone of late is threads going round in circles so this doesn't stand to be a break from the norm.

I appreciate that strikers are often the hardest positions to fill and I also appreciate that with the step-up in division it may have been difficult to lure appropriate targets. I've lost count however of the number of times Brown has sought to rejig his strike force during his time here. Hunt's injury has been unfortunate, but he knew exactly what he was getting from Mooney and Piggot so to seemingly deem them not good enough four months into a season is an indictment of either Brown's recruitment processes or his eye for a player.

Not to knock Brown's spell here too much as ultimately we were promoted, but it has been a tenure littered with squad upheavals and an at times confusing transfer policy. I presume he wants us to go out and spend more money bringing in yet more forwards that our midfield players will spend a month at best getting to understand.

Might I suggest that if he wanted more transfer funds, he might've done better to have not got us knocked out of each cup competition so early.

It's quite simple. Mooney not good enough. Piggot not good enough and hunt not fit enough.

All of the above will be lucky to score 20 in the league between them.

That's not to say that they can't play a part , but as a goal scoring threat it's just not good enough.

We need another more direct pacey fox in the box player. We all know it and the management know it. Wether the budget will alow it or wether we can sign someone is a different story altogether.

Get all of our squad available and we can still grind out results on our day. We would have a much better chance with more goals.

Back