• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should be proud of your ability to make so many mistakes in trying to suss someone out. I do hope you never have to teach anyone how to be a rational, non-judgemental and reasonable member of society........ I fear your ability to jump to wrong conclusions would mis-inform many.
One thing that is clear, you have a soap box and you aren't afraid of using it

It's an interesting observation that this thread has been split into three main groups. There are those who think that any violent action is unacceptable in ANY circumstance regardless of provocation (and I would count myself amongst this group). In my experience violence or even threats of violence have NO place in a modern civil society which we want to be safe for everyone.
There are those who think that it was appropriate reaction to the provocation. I would say that we are teaching those coming behind us that it is ok to do back to others what they are doing to us...and get in first if you can. It is the thinking that has been used in wars and genocides throughout history.
Finally there are those who approve, support and even welcome such violence and are happy to accept its place not just at a football game but by extension they are happy and welcome it in society generally. They say "it helps make the day, it's what rivalry is all about"...etc etc Personally I fear for our towns and communities if this is perceived to be acceptable behaviour. It is THE prime defence in domestic violence "she kept nagging and goading me." It is often mentioned in a defence of child abuse " they wouldn't stop pushing and pushing me and I just flipped". I don't want to see anyone involved in violence, and the level of threat and counter threat at games like Saturday's betrays mindlessness of the highest order. When children are scared ( I know they should not have been at that end of the stand) and it is felt by many that RH becomes an unsafe place to be then we are going to reap what we sow....and not just in and around football grounds. No wonder children and family services are at breaking point when such inability to control anger is acceptable.

You sound like a complete coward. Which is certainly nothing to be proud of.

Trying to put some one who slapped a few mouthy, coin throwing, steward punching fans who deserved it in the same league as child abuse is pathetic.

Last edited:

Trying to put some one who slapped a few mouthy, coin throwing, steward punching fans who deserved it in the same league as chid abuse is pathetic.
Well said !!!!!!!!!!!

Trying to put some one who slapped a few mouthy, coin throwing, steward punching fans who deserved it in the same league as chid abuse is pathetic.

I just love the attempts to characterise people demonstrated here. You know nothing about me, my background etc but because I don't approve of violence, retaliation etc then I am a coward? Wonderful stuff.
The use for retaliation is demonstrated in all levels of violence. It is the lowest form of common justice.The inability to not respond to provocation is evident in all forms of violence including domestic violence...and has been the cause of a continuing social breakdown throughout society. What is the biggest challenge to Police? Knives? No...Robbery? No. The answer is....... domestic violence, and domestic violence (at its core) is about the outworking of the inability to resist goading and the desire to retaliate, or to control a temper. Hardly traits you would want to encourage..surely? But I'm glad we're all thinking about this.

Trying to put some one who slapped a few mouthy, coin throwing, steward punching fans who deserved it in the same league as child abuse is pathetic.

Devils advocate here, but taken in the context in which it was written it's more accurate than pathetic - "they wouldn't stop pushing and pushing me and I just flipped" - implies someone who lashes out at a child after provocation that they couldn't handle. We have no reason to disbelieve the Southend fan who tells us that at least one of the lads who copped a punch is 17 - i.e legally a child. This thread is full of people who seem to want to shout their opinion from either pole - me personally I'm glad that the players stuck it to the scum in the right way on the pitch...

Well said !!!!!!!!!!!

Make your mind up! One minute you say I'm not afraid to use my soap box - and then you agree that I'm a complete coward? Which one is it? Looks like you're having trouble sussing people out again.

The incredible interest from the media and the discussion on here is largely down to one development - phone/video.
I am not condoning any anti-social behaviour whatsoever but the facts are that one man ran across about 1/30 of the pitch, swung a few punches and ...that is it.
As far as is reported, no Col U fan has been hurt. So it is a no injury event.
It was stupid and wrong!!!
But this happened somewhere, possibly every Saturday from 1970 to 1990. It was wrong then too but I witnessed far worse on perhaps 30 plus occasions while following Southend United back in the day.
It seems so much more more shocking on Saturday as we have thankfully grown accustomed to trouble-free football but not a great deal actually happened and nobody was hurt.
The real drama? Phone coverage!!

Devils advocate here, but taken in the context in which it was written it's more accurate than pathetic - "they wouldn't stop pushing and pushing me and I just flipped" - implies someone who lashes out at a child after provocation that they couldn't handle. We have no reason to disbelieve the Southend fan who tells us that at least one of the lads who copped a punch is 17 - i.e legally a child. This thread is full of people who seem to want to shout their opinion from either pole - me personally I'm glad that the players stuck it to the scum in the right way on the pitch...

Thank you....and you're right, it was great to see the lads give us great derby victory. COYB's

Steve Kavanagh, Chief Executive said "Such people are not welcome at Roots Hall and I hope all fans will assist the Club in identifying them to ensure that their actions do not go unpunished. The incident on Saturday is something that hasn't occurred in recent memory and the Club will do everything we can to ensure Roots Hall continues to remain a safe and family friendly environment for football fans."

Sorry Steve, but if some of the comments on this thread are anything to by, then sadly you have little chance of any help - misguided loyalties etc.........

I just love the attempts to characterise people demonstrated here. You know nothing about me, my background etc but because I don't approve of violence, retaliation etc then I am a coward? Wonderful stuff.
The use for retaliation is demonstrated in all levels of violence. It is the lowest form of common justice.The inability to not respond to provocation is evident in all forms of violence including domestic violence...and has been the cause of a continuing social breakdown throughout society. What is the biggest challenge to Police? Knives? No...Robbery? No. The answer is....... domestic violence, and domestic violence (at its core) is about the outworking of the inability to resist goading and the desire to retaliate, or to control a temper. Hardly traits you would want to encourage..surely? But I'm glad we're all thinking about this.

Your the one who came on here twisting the thread onto domestic abuse with your self-righteous, sanctimonious c**P.

As we have seen in the past those that preach the most are often the biggest sinners. You sound like a priest and we all know their record when it comes to child abuse.

Back to your I would never use violence under ANY circumstances statement. What if a member of your family was being attacked in the street would you step in or walk the other way? And lets not have a spineless "I would calm the person down with words" type answer.

Steve Kavanagh, Chief Executive said "Such people are not welcome at Roots Hall and I hope all fans will assist the Club in identifying them to ensure that their actions do not go unpunished. The incident on Saturday is something that hasn't occurred in recent memory and the Club will do everything we can to ensure Roots Hall continues to remain a safe and family friendly environment for football fans."

Sorry Steve, but if some of the comments on this thread are anything to by, then sadly you have little chance of any help - misguided loyalties etc.........

I think SK needs to put his hand up and take the blame for the whole fiasco himself. As others have rightly said the ticketing was poor and the police in the ground virtually non existent.

Anyone who went to Col U on Boxing day must have known there would be trouble at Saturdays game if you don't have a police presence inside the ground. If you remember when we left their ground they had loads of military style police with combats tucked into boots just to stop you cutting across that grass verge. Their stewards had struggled to keep order when our young idiots had tried to invade the pitch. I remember seeing some very nervous young stewards, who looked like they had been dragged out of the tea bar to bolster their numbers and of course if you have no physical presence then people will take advantage.

Why we never learnt a lesson from their money saving mistakes just six weeks ago should be explained by SK himself.
I doubt when our stewards singed up, they thought for one moment that they would be expected to actually police such a game.

I'm not a snitch, so I'm not going to name names, but There was about 50 Colchester fans causing trouble most of the game in the corner of the North Bank. They were very aggressive, goading the home fans, throwing coins at home fans including kids. They tried to get at the home fans, and were punching and pushing stewards. Then they assaulted one of our players.

Do you see where this is going? Everyone's going on about the Southend fan. Also, if Southend fans attacked a Colchester player or any other player, you would never hear the last of it. And yet the Southend player being attacked has hardly been mentioned on here, in the media, by the club, or by the police.

Last edited:
Coral have just sent out a tweet with the clip.

"You know a fan is passionate when he takes on a whole stand..."

EDIT - Coral have just deleted the tweet. They got a lot of replies from people saying they shouldn't be tweeting out such stuff.

I'm not a snitch, so I'm not going to name names, but There was about 50 Colchester fans causing trouble most of the game in the corner of the North Bank. They were very aggressive, goading the home fans, throwing coins at home fans including kids. They tried to get at the home fans, and were punching and pushing stewards. Then they assaulted one of our players.

Do you see where this is going? Everyone's going on about the Southend fan. If Southend fans attacked a Colchester player or any other player, you would never hear the last of it. And yet the Southend player being attacked has hardly been mentioned on here, in the media, by the club, or by the police.

The thing is that everyone has a view on what happened, but nobody seems to want to help the police or the club do something about it, albeit long after the event. The police aren't stupid, they will have seen what was happening by now, even if it is only on video. Some of those Col Ewe fans will have been filmed and probably are known to the Colchester police.

Maybe Southend United as a club needs to press the police to follow up those CU fans that were assaulting the stewards. What we can't escape is the fact that a fan from the Southend crowd left the stand, crossed the pitch and punched a few Colchester fans. That event has got more air time than anything else, and at the end of the day it will be the club that will get punished for not being able to effectively control the crowd. That punishment will presumably come from the FA.

The police will be looking to follow up and take action against individuals that assaulted people. Whether that will be Colchester fans as well remains to be seen. At the very least, if Colchester United recognise any of their fans that were creating their side of the mayhem, then hopefully they will ban them from future attendance. Either way no one comes out of this smelling of roses, and we haven't yet faced the music for another smoke bomb letting itself off.

I think the club should do the 'do you know anyone in this photograph?' again... it was so successful the last time

WTF would you know if you're in Tampa ? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back