• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We've had the Oxley/Smith debate recently when Smithy ended up being most fans goal keeper of choice. Then he got mashed up in the next few games and Mr Oxley took over for Millwall and had a blinder (or at least a good game). Now its major disaster time again for him. Neither man is consistent enough to fill me with confidence, but the thing is it is one or the other because there is no one else. Maybe changing the central defensive pairing to Ferdinand and Inniss may help, but that pairing isn't instantly going to produce a practised pair. I said earlier that PB is going to have to recruit again in January (assuming he is around to do so) and nothing has happened to make me change my mind. Back to the original post, Oxley is desperately in need of confidence and all we can do is give him support the same as we should do for Smith. The alternative is that his confidence will be even more shot otherwise.

Perhaps we should go for Flahavan again. He's goalkeeping coach at Leeds and only 37

Spot on.

........and while we negotiate with Leeds bring back Dracula Paul Smith..........he never comes off his line but at least he'll save shots from time to time........

Today was one of the worst Southend goalkeeping performances I have ever seen and yes I have seen Brian Lloyd, Mark Prudhoe, John Keeley and Carl Emberson.

I posted earlier in the season that Oxley will be for Brown what Emberson was for Wignall and the message remains the same.

Get Daryl

Ist goal should have done better no chance with the next two goals defence went walkabout for the fourth

We've had the Oxley/Smith debate recently when Smithy ended up being most fans goal keeper of choice. Then he got mashed up in the next few games and Mr Oxley took over for Millwall and had a blinder (or at least a good game). Now its major disaster time again for him. Neither man is consistent enough to fill me with confidence, but the thing is it is one or the other because there is no one else. Maybe changing the central defensive pairing to Ferdinand and Inniss may help, but that pairing isn't instantly going to produce a practised pair. I said earlier that PB is going to have to recruit again in January (assuming he is around to do so) and nothing has happened to make me change my mind. Back to the original post, Oxley is desperately in need of confidence and all we can do is give him support the same as we should do for Smith. The alternative is that his confidence will be even more shot otherwise.

Absolutely agree with this, I have huge doubts whether Oxley is good enough but slagging him off during games won't help. Even during the Millwall game where he actually was fairly good he was getting a fair bit of abuse for punching instead of catching at one point.

Out of interest, did we ever get that full time goalkeeping coach we were after pre season? If so they deserve the boot even before Brown!

I've tried to defend Oxley this season as I think he's been in a difficult position coming in following a big fan favourite but my god that first goal today was pathetic goalkeeping. Catch it, push it wide or let it go past the post. Do anything but what you did!

Out of interest, did we ever get that full time goalkeeping coach we were after pre season? If so they deserve the boot even before Brown!

We did indeed. It's Lee Harrison and he's been with us for 2 or 3 weeks now I think.

The 1st goal is an absolute joke, the 4th should certainly have been saved too in my opinion. Let's be honest here Brown has royally f***ed us with the goalkeeping situation, particularly with the window now shut. His fault alone and it'll probably cost him his job.

At this moment in time I'd love Paul Smith back in goal and I never thought I'd say that.

It was pretty obvious since last summer that last year was going to be Bentley's final season with us, therefore there was ample time to source an adequate replacement for Bentley. Even a journeyman keeper in his mid 30's would have been a better option to allow more time for Ted to develop.

We struggle to sign players despite hundreds being out of contract yet focus all energies on two goalkeeper coaches, nutritionists, full time kit men, chief scouts and god knows what Brian Horton is nicking a living doing!!!! Clowns

Agree with you there, your earlier post (first in the thread) made it look like you thought he was a good signing who was being unfairly criticised. :blush:

Edit - You ignored my earlier post, are you actually watching any games live at the moment?

Sadly no,last game was Bristol !

Cannot stomach the dross .

We need to sign a goalkeeper before the next window or we could be too far adrift to save ourselves. Does anyone know the situation with Chris Kirkland? I seem to recall he signed for someone on a short term contract early on in the last window, but then had the contract terminated for personal reasons after a couple of weeks. Could he be persuaded to sign a contract with us until after Christmas or longer I wonder! Just a thought

I find the signings utterly baffling,what exactly is the thinking behind these wayward deals.

Ox......way out of his depth
Ranger....not played for 2 years
Ferdy...Hardly played in the last 5 years
King...season loan...out of his depth.
Cox...now being benched...looks unfit and cannot score

Ranger is IMO worth a punt assuming the contract reflects his lack of football,the rest no thanks.

Back