• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I find the signings utterly baffling,what exactly is the thinking behind these wayward deals.

Ox......way out of his depth
Ranger....not played for 2 years
Ferdy...Hardly played in the last 5 years
King...season loan...out of his depth.
Cox...now being benched...looks unfit and cannot score

Ranger is IMO worth a punt assuming the contract reflects his lack of football,the rest no thanks.

How does Cox look unfit? He's not scoring because our rubbish tactics don't suit him at all, they barely suit Mooney but since he's tall he at least gets a rare chance.

Oxley is embarrassing. Jeez, when I think of all the decent solid goalkeepers we've had here. What a walking disaster area Oxley is. Get the hook out and give him a yank with it.

We know exactly what we have with Oxley - he isn't going to get any better. Ted on the other hand can improve, and improve a lot too. Logic dictates Ted is our only hope now to retain our league one status. Oxley will take us down.

Oh, and can someone show Phil the door. All of it. The hinges, the handle and especially the Yale lock he needs to close on the way out, so he can't come back in.

Oxley's CV isn't the worst in the world, but there must have been a reason for Brown signing a Hibs reserve.
It would be nice if he explained exactly why he signed him and whether he was in for others who got away? He's not going to, of course, but it would least at explain his thinking.
At the mo, there's barely a Southend supporter who thinks one of the major reasons we're headed for League Two is a keeper out of his depth.
Note, the looks of exasperation around him from team-mates as the first goal goes in. A lot of League One/Two keepers would have caught it, never mind parrying it into the path of a striker. That sort of thing knocks the stuffing out of a team.

How does Cox look unfit? He's not scoring because our rubbish tactics don't suit him at all, they barely suit Mooney but since he's tall he at least gets a rare chance.

He looks overweight to me.

Why on earth did Phil sign him but not play to the guys strengths,surely Phil had an idea of playing in a manner which suited Cox,what is the point in having a small forward who won't win nothing in the air but then launch high balls to him.

Oxley's CV isn't the worst in the world, but there must have been a reason for Brown signing a Hibs reserve.
It would be nice if he explained exactly why he signed him and whether he was in for others who got away? He's not going to, of course, but it would least at explain his thinking.
At the mo, there's barely a Southend supporter who thinks one of the major reasons we're headed for League Two is a keeper out of his depth.
Note, the looks of exasperation around him from team-mates as the first goal goes in. A lot of League One/Two keepers would have caught it, never mind parrying it into the path of a striker. That sort of thing knocks the stuffing out of a team.

He was and no they didn't sign.

Not everyone appreciated how good Bentley is. It was always going to be an impossible task to replace him and I know we are skint. But it was an area we should have spent some money on. If not you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
He was and no they didn't sign.

Not everyone appreciated how good Bentley is. It was always going ton be an impossible task to replace him band I know we are skint. But it was an area we should have spent some money on. If not you get what you pay for.

Ron tells Phil the budget !

Phil then blows it on odd signings who demand decent salaries,budget exhausted so Phil signs monkeys on peanuts,it's strange.

What does Horton do...he must be on fairly decent money,his wage could have gone toward the player budget.

Ron tells Phil the budget !

Phil then blows it on odd signings
who demand decent salaries,budget exhausted so Phil signs monkeys on peanuts,it's strange.

What does Horton do...he must be on fairly decent money,his wage could have gone toward the player budget.

Just remind us all again, how much of the Bentley/Payne money have we spent in the transfer market.

Just remind us all again, how much of the Bentley/Payne money have we spent in the transfer market.

I have no idea !....maybe nothing at all but the budget is the budget,Ron must have said to Phil the first team budget is x and once spent there is nothing left...Phil ,Horton or Shaw select targets within that budget..Why push the boat out on one or two guys when an idiot could see the whole team required strengthening,it's not rocket science,is it?

Bently was terrible at crosses, not commanding at all, staying on his line (a good shot stopper yes) The whole team are playing poor, I don't buy into your "it was bad luck we lost 4-0" we was rubbish for most of the end part of last season, and all of this season so far.

Bently was terrible at crosses, not commanding at all, staying on his line (a good shot stopper yes) The whole team are playing poor, I don't buy into your "it was bad luck we lost 4-0" we was rubbish for most of the end part of last season, and all of this season so far.

I can't believe your comments re Daniel Bentley! I have supported this club since 1959 and IMO Bentley was our best ever keeper, I am sure he will eventually play in the Premier League.

I have no idea !....maybe nothing at all but the budget is the budget,Ron must have said to Phil the first team budget is x and once spent there is nothing left...Phil ,Horton or Shaw select targets within that budget..Why push the boat out on one or two guys when an idiot could see the whole team required strengthening,it's not rocket science,is it?

Rubbish.....Your the zone expert when it comes to wages. :winking:

I can't believe your comments re Daniel Bentley! I have supported this club since 1959 and IMO Bentley was our best ever keeper, I am sure he will eventually play in the Premier League.

Surely you haven't forgotten the wonderful Trevor Roberts who could not only stop shots, catch crosses but also command his area far better than Bentley ever did. I'd give Bentley the edge on penalty saving though .... they played a much smaller part in the game way back then.

Our clueless manager signed and paid money for him before and at s higher level, sums it all up really

Well perhaps when/if he gets another job he'll come back for him in January. Fingers crossed on all counts.

Surely you haven't forgotten the wonderful Trevor Roberts who could not only stop shots, catch crosses but also command his area far better than Bentley ever did. I'd give Bentley the edge on penalty saving though .... they played a much smaller part in the game way back then.

Mick, remember Trevor Roberts shot-stopping etc ? I can't remember what I had for tea last night.

. He was a good shot stopper, yes but stayed on his line on set pieces... should have got in the pack... loads of people have said the same, and this is before he left... if you feel he was the best every? That your opinion.

exactly, Bently was a brilliant shot stopper, dreadful at commanding area...

If I were Paul Smith, I'd be fuming - shunted into a coaching role as he was deemed inferior to Bentley and perhaps in the way of the development of Ted Smith. Well, we now know that Oxley is too inconsistent to be a good 'keeper at this level, and TS is nowhere near prepared to be a regular starter in L1. Time to use what we have at our disposal - very insulting to Paul Smith imho.

No, Bentley was better.
I remember every Blues keeper back to Harry Threadgold. In the 45-year memory Trev was OK, but as a shot/penalty stopper can't think of anyone better and that includes Flahavan and Royce.
I think as far as bad keepers go, Emberson, and only because he was shamefully unfit edges it past Oxley, Ray White and Mel Capleton, who famously forgot the pass back rule and picked up the ball one Friday night match. For me, lack of fitness and not knowing the laws is like a plumber turning up without a spanner.

Back