• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hard to believe with all the doom and gloom but we're actually only 2 points off 9th place..

Millwall were 5th before we played them, now they're 17th, anything can happen at the moment, if we string some results together things will look a lot brighter.

From Ayrshire Blue on another thread:

'Buzzing for Oxley tonight. Won us the game in the end, I don't think he knew a whole lot about the last save but he just threw himself at it, was nice to see the players make a point of bigging him up as well. Zero to hero in a matter of days. Fair play to you Ox'

Oxley was my man of the match tonight. Not that I think he was the best player, that was McGlashan but to go complete turnaround from Saturday where he must have felt lower than a snakes belly was very pleasing and I hope he really kicks on from here. Who knows, tonight could be for Oxley what that Franco Di Santo save was to Steve Mildenhall

Strange game , but hey , 3 points and some morale boosting performances for some.

We played well first half. Switched the play well and made a couple of decent chances , the goal, well for me wow ! Sweet spot volley.

Their goal frustrating , first off, it was a push in the build up .., how the officials missed it is beyond me. BUT, it was not given and we turned off .. , you cannot do that , at any level ! The goal really knocked the stuffing out of us and oxford pretty much started the second on the front foot. But credit where credit is due, we kept working and we didn't stop running. Big shout out to O'Neill in the lead up to the penalty, a fantastic switching pass , he impressed me when he came on, got stuck in and tried to move the ball intelligently.

Stand out performances , Oxley deserves some, especially for the second half save. Dimitriou for work rate and endeavour. Personally I thought Ferdinand played well, he reads the game , ideal for a centre of a back 3. AB looked shattered to me , a great block last quarter of second half aside , I personally thought he was off the mark today ( each to their own though ). Good to have WW back, but with him and Lenny ( who also played well ), we really didn't get someone on their number 4.

Maybe a draw would be fair , but, I've seen games where we've dominated and taken nothing. We kept going , we worked hard and we played to the final whistle.

3 points is a good thing for midweek, means nothing without a decent result on Saturday , we need some run and consistency.

Match report: Southend United 2, Oxford United 1

ANTHONY Wordsworth’s second half spot-kick continued Southend United’s fine recent record against Oxford United at Roots Hall*tonight.

More...

Apart from 3 points the most important thing was Oxley having a good game. The save late on was outstanding and about half the team went over to congratulate him.

The one that people are saying was similar to Northampton, was in fact far more difficult. The shot was from much closer, harder and lower, so it was more of a block. Besides he managed to gather the lose ball. Good tip over from a header in the second half at 1-1.

Well done to the crowd. We done just enough to pressure the ref into giving that penalty. By building the anger at his decisions, when he had to make a big call on that handball, he paused for a second and then gave it.

Ferdinand looked comfortable and Inniss grew into the game. Some good commanding headers in the second half, just what we need.

Their 10, Chris Maguire looks a very useful player. Roll on Saturday.

Funny how we all see a different game. For me all the outfield players should be marked above Oxley and it sounds like BBC Essex 'bigged him up!

To be honest the win papers over the cracks, and we were a shambles 2nd half with Oxford running through us at will. They (Oxford) gave us a football lesson regarding movement and anticipation and but for poor finishing would have had about 6 tonight. Not sure but I think we had about 4 shots on target and one of them was a penalty.

I think Demitriou just edged MOM for me by about 1/2 a point.

Mixed bag, 6.5 is probably a fair score. He was very, very lucky to not concede a similar goal to Saturday in the first half, it was too quick to catch but he parried it straight to their player in the middle, I think he needs to practice pushing to the side with those kinds of shots because it's a clear weakness of his. He also came out at one point when he shouldn't have (although he did make up for it by staying out to pressure the striker into shooting over the bar, but if you need to be out of your box to pressure a defender it means you've been caught in no man's land).

He did make some great saves to keep us in it in the second half though which shows there is a good keeper in there, if he can get his confidence up and works on his weaknesses there's no reason he can't do well here. He definitely won us the points in the last 20 today.
Re the save when he came out a long way, that was 100% the right thing to do, if he hadn't their guy would have had a clear shot on goal. Oxley did loads right tonight and made one error. If it wasn't for last week no one would be mentioning the error. If his name was Bentley he wouldn't be getting a 6.5 for sure ( not your score I know)

Funny how we all see a different game. For me all the outfield players should be marked above Oxley and it sounds like BBC Essex 'bigged him up!

To be honest the win papers over the cracks, and we were a shambles 2nd half with Oxford running through us at will. They (Oxford) gave us a football lesson regarding movement and anticipation and but for poor finishing would have had about 6 tonight. Not sure but I think we had about 4 shots on target and one of them was a penalty.

At least one person saw the the same as me!
I'll settle for 3 points and another saturday.

No he didn't play that well. Spilled a shot in the first half that Oxford nearly scored from. Tipped one over in the second half and his kicking was good. We owe more to Oxford's ability to shoot high and wide from 10 yards or so out

Were u even there tonight, oxley won us the game

If Oxford could get a where near that Bovines backside with that banjo, we would have been buried
Centre backs looked ok, but the ball kept coming back because cm couldn't retain possession.
Coker frustrates me, seriously one footed, yet keeps pulling back onto his right and then always turns back, so easy to defend.
McGlashan looked lively but ran out of steam as usual.
McLaughlin had his moments
Mooney played well but wasted at least one chance
Dimitrou was steady, had a good effort well saved at the end
finally , Oxley, he scares the beejezus out of me, fumbled two simple shots but Oxfords lack of awareness meant he could recover. One save directly above his head made him look good , but he then found himself mile out of position and again was lucky Oxford were woeful in front of goal.
A very welcome three points but to be honest we got away with it today, Millwall was a far better performance

Apart from 3 points the most important thing was Oxley having a good game. The save late on was outstanding and about half the team went over to congratulate him.

The one that people are saying was similar to Northampton, was in fact far more difficult. The shot was from much closer, harder and lower, so it was more of a block. Besides he managed to gather the lose ball. Good tip over from a header in the second half at 1-1.

Well done to the crowd. We done just enough to pressure the ref into giving that penalty. By building the anger at his decisions, when he had to make a big call on that handball, he paused for a second and then gave it.

Ferdinand looked comfortable and Inniss grew into the game. Some good commanding headers in the second half, just what we need.

Their 10, Chris Maguire looks a very useful player. Roll on Saturday.

Yeah pretty much the same as me.

I also noted there number 10 who pulled all of there strings.

We got lucky tonight and although a win is a win I just think more often than not we will get well caught out.

I still don't believe Brown is the right man for the job but it's a results business so we will have to see how the next few games go.

What has happened to cox. Our marquee signing is nowhere to be seen.

I pray to God that ranger gets fit and fast.

Couldn't knock the commitment of the team tonight though.

But for their goalkeeper making 3 or 4 great saves we could have had 6 tonight!

Very good game for the neutral tonight.

First half, we were by the far the better team. They had more possession but we pressed and kept them at bay. Lenny and Woody had a few shots before the opener from Leonard, a 25 yard volley which flew into the net via the keepers glove. We broke and counter attacked well and Demetriou nearly made it two when he played a one-two to get into the box and from where I was it looked like his shot came off the post but it may have been a defender that cleared, it was difficult to see.

We were so on top and this was a performance that rivaled the Millwall one... then it all went Pete Tong. In the 3rd of 2 added minutes (!), a deep cross to the back post resulted in a corner. However, there also seemed to be a shove in Coker's back, a point not lost on Coker, Barrett, Ferdinand, Oxley and I think Inniss, who all were in the middle of the penalty area, remonstrating with the ref and not concentrating on the corner. In the meantime, Oxford are getting sorted, we all get back to defensive duties far too late, no-one is marked and the short corner ball is whipped in for them to have a free header to equalise.

Now they can moan about the decision all they like but that is just unprofessional, a complete lack of concentration.

In the second half it was all Oxford, they came out with their tails up and in truth we struggled. They were quicker and ran us ragged, their no 10 Maguire was the best player on the pitch by a mile, totally ran the midfield and waltzed around Lenny and the now tiring Wordsworth. Their strikers failed to bring their shooting boots as time after time the ball was hit high, wide and handsome.

Ferdinand and Inniss were standing up manfully but their lack of match fitness was beginning to show. Mooney was working hard but now was nearly completely isolated as McGlashan was sacrificed for O'Neill.

I had said we would need a huge slice of luck, an own goal or a penalty to win this one as there was no sign of anything going near their box, let alone their keepr. Then, Lenny sprayed the ball out left, Coker beat his man and crossed for the defender to block with his arms. Possibly harsh, but a penalty was given. Woody finished with ease.

After that it was end to end and both sides could have scored. Barrett forced an absolute worldy from their keeper, who also tipped over a pile driver from Demetriou. Oxley kept us in it with some good saves although in truth, he'd have been disappointed not to save them. But fair play, it was a big game for him tonight and another error in front of the home fans would have seen him subjected to all sorts of abuse, but he came through it. Well done Oxley.

The ref added on 6 minutes and played nearly 8, but we came through it for back to back home league wins. If we can kick on against Peterborough on Saturday, we should be lower mid table.

Ratings

Oxley - 8 - good performance, it was needed.

Demetriou - 8.5 - MOM - Nearly scored twice and is beginning to look a decent player.
Barrett - 8 - Usual committed performance
Ferdinand - 8 - Incredible positional sense and looks a good signing.
Inniss - 7 - At last! Some height at the back! Not sure about his floor work and could barely walk at the end.
Coker - 7 - Up against a tricky winger but made the 2nd.

Leonard - 8 - Cracking goal to mark 200th game
Wordsworth - 8 - Good to see him back and he showed some drive forward
McLaughlin - 7 - Decent performance, lots of running
McGlashan - 7.5 - Surprised to see him subbed, was really pressing and working hard

Mooney - 7 - Hard working performance, please however stop falling over looking for the free kick

Subs -

O'Neill - 7 - Decent enough, made a couple of good tackles
Atkinson - 7 - Replaced the tiring Wordsworth

Ref - 8 - Good I thought. Didn't seem to get much wrong and rightly added on extra for time wasting. More refs should do this.

Hard to know if we are turning a corner,tactics dictated by lack of options and injured players returning who are new to the team.Cant fault effort but we rode our luck 2nd half.Nice to see Wordsworth back ,and whatever your opinion of Oxley it can't have been easy to play with your confidence shot to pieces,and actually give a reasonable performance. Saturday is now an even bigger test .......credit to the crowd didn't get on the players backs even when we were struggling

According to the BBC we had 13 shots of which 8 were on target, Oxford had 17 but only 5 on target so looks like we had the advantage.

This wasn't a vintage performance by any stretch but never has 3 points been so important. I will take them all day... It would have been so easy to feel hard done by at half time and come out and lose our heads. Oxford were the better footballing side by a mile but in truth they didn't create a whole heap of chances until we got a bit ragged in the 2nd. Our defence was magnificent tonight and I'm surprised not a whole lot of praise on here for Ferdinand. He was clearly nursing a problem from the off but was completely unruffled all night and brought an air of experience when it was much needed. The defence didnt get much protection from the midfield in truth which has been our downfall all season but they stood firm.

Some ratings

Oxley - 7 - Bit shaky to start with and still looks suspect on using his feet and crosses but some great work in the last 20
Ferdinand - 8 - Calm and quality. Will only get better with fitness
Barrett - 7 - Strong and committed performance with usual grit
Inniss - 6 - A unit but not much of a footballer (nervous on ball and passes awry) - will be a real nuisance from set pieces I hope and likely to slot in well to traditional back 4
Coker - 6 - Did ok. Still a bit short of his usual self
Demetriou - 6 - Better first half than second. A bit predictable when always comes inside
Lenny - 7 - Great goal and some good midfield work. A bit lost second half
Wordsworth - 7 - Puffing after 5 mins and amazed he made as long as he did. Perhaps lucky not to get a second yellow the way the ref was going. Good pen and good comeback
McLaughlin - 6 - Good first half and did well for goal. Faded a bit as usual
McGlashan - 7 - pace pace pace - the only one we have and it hurt Oxford a bit
Mooney - 6 - Jumps when it suits him. Didnt get much luck tonight but worked tirelessly

Subs. O'Neill did great when he came on. Made a difference in the middle.

All in all; we need to improve and we need to get fit. Ferdinand and Wordsworth played at half mast and we got away with it tonight. A massive win though and if we can just nick another at the weekend.......

Back