• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

US Presidential election thread

So who are you voting for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is quite clear, is that was probably the first US election where people were getting information about their preferred candidate, pretty much exclusively, from social media, FB,Twitter etc rather than the traditional media like newspapers,radio or TV.

That way people don't have to read/see anything they disagree with about their candidate.

FWIW,I happen to think that the implications of this for the future of democracy in the US (and elsewhere) are profound.

Last edited:
What is quite clear, is that was probably the first US election where people were getting information about their preferred candidate, pretty much exclusively, from social media FB,Twitter etc rather than the traditional media like newspapers,radio or TV.

That way people don't have to read/see anything they disagree with about their candidate.

FWIW,I happen to think that the implications of this for the future of democracy in the US (and elsewhere) are profound.

Social media makes it harder for politicians to cover up their lies or bury facts.

Or for you, (and people like you), to be exposed to an alternative p.o.v.

Social media just pumps out garbage as fact, and sadly people lap it up and form their opinions. I think some of the rise of right wing extremity can be linked to Facebook & Twitter and ther utter bilge that groups like Britain First pump out with doctored photos.

Social media just pumps out garbage as fact, and sadly people lap it up and form their opinions. I think some of the rise of right wing extremity can be linked to Facebook & Twitter and ther utter bilge that groups like Britain First pump out with doctored photos.

Social media revealed the new year attacks in Germany which the Government and media tried to suppress.

Yes !

My point is those who voted had their say,those who didn't vote Lost their tight yo say...Clinton actually had 100,000 more votes which is strange in itself.

They've had their Vote Mrs B is what you mean....and now there is an outcome to that vote.

For many (Brexit it similar), the outcome is not what they hoped for, and I would guess much the same as Brexit the result has divided our/their respective societies.

It could be argued Mrs B that both Trumps presidency and the UK voting to the leave the EU were borne out of protest, it therefore cannot be right we refuse others the same privilege.

They've had their Vote Mrs B is what you mean....and now there is an outcome to that vote.

For many (Brexit it similar), the outcome is not what they hoped for, and I would guess much the same as Brexit the result has divided our/their respective societies.

It could be argued Mrs B that both Trumps presidency and the UK voting to the leave the EU were borne out of protest, it therefore cannot be right we refuse others the same privilege.

Indeed,

Professional politicians believe the public are one big bunch of dimwits and cannot understand when the masses vote against their will....media moguls pour fuel on the flames by constantly bombarding us with their particular brand of politics

I voted for Brexit ,now if the vote had gone the other way you wouldn't hear me squealing about it,just get on with it is my motto.

Since Trump won the media has gone into overdrive trying every way to belittle the guy ,the media moguls must fear him.

Not at all, as this shows:-http://college.usatoday.com/2016/11/09/how-we-voted-by-age-education-race-and-sexual-orientation/

“I love the poorly educated!” Trump once exclaimed.

Less educated Americans did vote him into the White House.(Check the pie charts under education).

College graduates and postgraduates voted overwhelmingly for Clinton,whereas those with just a high school education "or less" or "some college" education voted largely in favour of Trump.

The reason that the left "is getting spanked all over" is that your misogynistic comments etc have become much more acceptable and mainstream on the alt-right.

(Btw,The Guardian dropped its women's pages some time ago).

Really??....thought they still had a section on the online version?

Indeed,

Professional politicians believe the public are one big bunch of dimwits and cannot understand when the masses vote against their will....media moguls pour fuel on the flames by constantly bombarding us with their particular brand of politics

I voted for Brexit ,now if the vote had gone the other way you wouldn't hear me squealing about it,just get on with it is my motto.

Since Trump won the media has gone into overdrive trying every way to belittle the guy ,the media moguls must fear him.
I would say that with Trump they just report what he has said - which seems like belittling him due to what he has said.

I would say that with Trump they just report what he has said - which seems like belittling him due to what he has said.

The media choose their target though when it suits them.

I mean the media was pretty silent on the US tale of events of killing Bin Laden...not any query,nothing,ditto 9/11.

I mean the media was pretty silent on the US tale of events of killing Bin Laden...not any query,nothing,ditto 9/11.

with Trump though they literally just repeat his words - no media stitch up needed - things are reported that sound unbelievable, and then you see the footage of him actually saying it

Really??....thought they still had a section on the online version?

Not thinking of the Daily Heil? It's lovely women's section that likes to drool over the 15yr old daughter of Cindy Crawford and attacks women for the slightest bit of cellulite.

Did anyone honestly believe he'd be able to enact even a small portion of his more outlandish promises? Even he knew he'd be hamstrung by the people that really pull the power strings on Capitol Hill. I find it staggering that I, with just a modicum of knowledge about American political history, can see through the ******** and theatre that is the US political system and especially Trumps rhetoric and understand that in reality very little will change and the status quo will continue as it has done for the past 80 years.

And before anyone says 'well, you believed the Brexit ********' No i didn't. i spent weeks doing my own research and still wanted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back