• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EMMANUEL, GETTING ELECTED PRESIDENT IS THE EASY PART!
Barring a surprise in the second-round which would dwarf both Brexit and Trump's victories, Emmanuel Macron will become President of the French Republic on May the 7th. In a fiercely defended secular society, maybe he would be tempted to quote St Francis of Assis's words, when elected.

"Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope"… .[fo 1]

Familiar? Of course, they were Thatcher's words on entering Downing Street for the first time.............before she proceeded to trash them for the period of her rule. Macron would do well not to forget them.
I don't personally believe there are over 7 million racist's and fascist's who voted for the Front National. The majority are a section of the population who are so desperate to find a way out of their misery, that they are prepared to give in to their prejudicies and accept the simple (false) solutions, to complex problems, the FN offers them. They won't go away and unless some of their grievences (unemployment, inequality, isolation) are dealt with, we will reap the wrath in five years time.
Protection is no solution to the world's economic problems but neither is a system where beaurocrats, technocrats and big business continue to run the system for their own benefit. Somehow there has to be a fairer way forward, where wealth created has to be more fairly and equally distributed, where people feel more engaged in a society which is propelling them forward and not leaving them in it's wake.
Few so far have wanted to address these problems, Emmanuel Macron needs to fill that void and it won't be easy. Yet failure would be a disaster for France and Europe. You have my heartfelt and sincere good wishes for the future.........don't screw it up!

I heard on the radio today that Le Pen considers 2022 her best chance of winning so making the second round as she has must feel like a victory. I think you are right though when you say that issues such as education, employment, failed industry and immigration have to be addressed with urgency and an err on the side of those french who do feel, rightly or wrongly, forgotten or hard done by, by the established parties that have taken a tonking this time round.

Failure to do this could very well give Le Pen her moment and if I can see it happening from this side of the channel then your side had better wake up to it quick smart.

Le Pen stepping down as Front National leader according to BBC. Where did that come from?

EMMANUEL MACRON (en marche) v UN SOUPCON DE BLEU (désintox totale)........................................deuxieme tour 2017
Well, it all started so well, didn't it? Marine Le Pen head of the Front National, a cast iron certainty to reach the second-round of the 2017 French Presidential Election with near 30% of the popular vote. Ironically, it appears, the more she has tried to sanitise the unpleasantness of her party, the more her vote has sagged.
It started with the idea, for the election, of dropping Le Pen in favour of 'Marine'. She didn't want to use Le Pen because of the connotations with her father's nasty views.....yet, he remains the real voice of what the FN truthfully still is.......the nasty party.
As this didn't totally work in the first-round and the majority are still somewhat put off by the name Front National, she has dropped that as well.
I would suggest that 'Marine' didn't work too well either, as it struggled to get her to 22% of the vote. My suggestion is that she should fight the second-round as 'Un soupçon de bleu', with that the offensive smell which emenates from her personality and her politics could be totally eradicated. Is that still evocative of something???? OK, what about 'Un soupçon de neutre'......but honestly, that is my last suggestion to help you win in May.

FWIW,I spoke to my daughters yesterday (who both voted for Mélechon in the first round) and won't be voting in the second.

If that sort of abstention rate were replicated on a national scale, then Macron's 60-40 lead in the polls could prove to be more than a bit flakey.

Yes that's why I edited my post.A FN spokesman on Newsnight last night implied that the "resignation" was effectively a leave of absence and she'd be back in post if (ho,ho) she lost the Presidential run off.

Actually it doesn't explain why you edited (deleted) your post but anyway, that's not important.

I heard on the radio today that Le Pen considers 2022 her best chance of winning so making the second round as she has must feel like a victory. I think you are right though when you say that issues such as education, employment, failed industry and immigration have to be addressed with urgency and an err on the side of those french who do feel, rightly or wrongly, forgotten or hard done by, by the established parties that have taken a tonking this time round

Failure to do this could very well give Le Pen her moment and if I can see it happening from this side of the channel then your side had better wake up to it quick smart.

You may like to check this out..... http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-putin-national-front-alt-right-a7694411.html

Totally agree, Macron (if elected) will probably only have five years to effect changes to our society, to avoid a nightmare in 2022. Yet, there other imprevisible things that could help..........an improving economic situation? As you will see in the Independent article......if you think Marine Le Pen is bad, wait until you see Marie-marechal Le Pen!........who is growing and waiting in the wings. One of the most frightening statistics from Sunday's result was the chasm between vibrant, successful, multicultural Paris, where Le Pen only secured around 5% of the vote and most of the rest of the country.

Last edited:
Out of Interest why vote for someone in the first round and then abstain when your chose person gets through ?

Very odd indeed. I'd like to think the default position for everyone who's not a card carrying fascist would be vote for Macron. Otherwise France is going to be saddled with Le Pen - and surely Monsieur Macron is lesser of two evils?

Out of Interest why vote for someone in the first round and then abstain when your chose person gets through ?

This is, of course a good point. The immediate choice for almost everyone, following jean-marie Le Pen qualifying for the second-round in 2002, was to vote for Chirac, without pleasure but without hesitation. This indeed was Mélenchon's position in 2002, curious that this time around, he remains silent on the subject. I've noted earlier that if you read the manifestos of both Mélenchon and Le Pen, they appear closer to each other than they are to Macron. (extreme left><extreme right). There is also, of course, the possibility that Le Pen has managed so successfully to undemonize her Front National, that many don't see its danger anymore. I'm not fooled or hoodwinked, I'm frighteningly aware of what the Front National represents...........a clear danger to freedom, liberty and democracy. If I had the vote I would support any democratic candidate standing against them, no matter how unpalatable that may be.

This is, of course a good point. The immediate choice for almost everyone, following jean-marie Le Pen qualifying for the second-round in 2002, was to vote for Chirac, without pleasure but without hesitation. This indeed was Mélenchon's position in 2002, curious that this time around, he remains silent on the subject. I've noted earlier that if you read the manifestos of both Mélenchon and Le Pen, they appear closer to each other than they are to Macron. (extreme left><extreme right). There is also, of course, the possibility that Le Pen has managed so successfully to undemonize her Front National, that many don't see its danger anymore. I'm not fooled or hoodwinked, I'm frighteningly aware of what the Front National represents...........a clear danger to freedom, liberty and democracy. If I had the vote I would support any democratic candidate standing against them, no matter how unpalatable that may be.

But that's ok with SuperBlue24.

Oh dear, here we go again.

NO WE DON'T! I don't think, like myself, MK Shrimper is criticising the reasons for people supporting the FN, however much we may believe they're wrong. The party and it's policies are what I stand firmly and resolutely against. I haven't quite understand your position. Do you, like us, back the democratic right of the people to vote for who they want, or do you back the aims and the policies of the Front National?..........there is a difference.

As an aside, Macron married his teacher. :stunned:

Now, when I was 14, the drama teacher was quite a looker, but not sure I would have married her. These Frenchies and their garlic eh?

NO WE DON'T! I don't think, like myself, MK Shrimper is criticising the reasons for people supporting the FN, however much we may believe they're wrong. The party and it's policies are what I stand firmly and resolutely against. I haven't quite understand your position. Do you, like us, back the democratic right of the people to vote for who they want, or do you back the aims and the policies of the Front National?..........there is a difference.

Did you say you have lived in France for 30 odd years yet can't vote? That's a bit harsh isn't it. I thought it was only us Brits that done that sort of thing (According to a certain on here)

Back