• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

Subscribe as in have belief in or as in paying for? Long ago did I find the quality of articles in most rags too heavily geared towards their own political leanings and a growth in sensationalist headlining (unfounded on more than one occasion) which presumably to create reader interest and subsequent reaction. After all, that is what sells newspapers and it is a business.

There was a time I used to enjoy both the Guardian and Telegraph, more so for their crosswords I would add, but wouldn't willingly purchase either these days. The FT would probably be my choice mainly since I like to keep up with the markets.

Okay, so, who might be your preferred read....and why?

Sorry I haven't got the time.The last "independent research" I did was back in the 90's when I was completing an MA in TESOL.

Such is life, you being so busy and all. Oooh, to counter then, having obtained a few meagre GCE's back in the 70's I've found a life of continued research and learning outside of such advanced education highly beneficial and enjoyable in my particular case. Horses for courses I guess, eh?

Hope you're enjoying a good weekend there.

Subscribe as in have belief in or as in paying for? Long ago did I find the quality of articles in most rags too heavily geared towards their own political leanings and a growth in sensationalist headlining (unfounded on more than one occasion) which presumably to create reader interest and subsequent reaction. After all, that is what sells newspapers and it is a business.

There was a time I used to enjoy both the Guardian and Telegraph, more so for their crosswords I would add, but wouldn't willingly purchase either these days. The FT would probably be my choice mainly since I like to keep up with the markets.

The Sun, mostly for the tits and also because so many tell me not to read it.
Crosswords are good for the brain but I prefer Sudoku myself.

Such is life, you being so busy and all. Oooh, to counter then, having obtained a few meagre GCE's back in the 70's I've found a life of continued research and learning outside of such advanced education highly beneficial and enjoyable in my particular case. Horses for courses I guess, eh?

Hope you're enjoying a good weekend there.

Yes thanks.Just got back from San Feliu (Costa Brava) where we saw The Pretenders last night at Cap Roig.

I've said before I'd be quite happy to subscribe to the Guardian if it ever went behind a paywall.As it is, I donate (occasionally) to its costs.

Why?..Obviously because I enjoy reading it and have since I was in the 6th form (which in my particular case was some time ago).:winking:

Last edited:
Yes thanks.Just got back from San Feliu (Costa Brava) where we saw The Pretenders last night at Cap Roig.

Now that takes me back, Visited San Feliu back in the late 60's whilst on holiday (camping) at Rosas, before they started constructing umpteen villas and the marina complex. Great fun at the time. Liked Gerona too.

What's your for never giving any positive arguments for Brexit? Just like Boris and Gove with their bus last year in fact.

Oh I do, if not on here. My mind was made up years and years ago as it was patently obvious the way we were headed
under the EU dictatorship and if we had taken on the Euro as our national currency then heaven knows where we would be now. If the EU is such a wonderful scenario for European countries then I admit to failing to see why the head honchos be so difficult in wishing to agree an amicable split rrangement when at worst the EU will only lose out on our annual subscription fee to their EU 'club'.....

Far more interesting reading other people's views on here, quite entertaining at times :winking:

Oh I do, if not on here. My mind was made up years and years ago as it was patently obvious the way we were headed
under the EU dictatorship and if we had taken on the Euro as our national currency then heaven knows where we would be now. If the EU is such a wonderful scenario for European countries then I admit to failing to see why the head honchos be so difficult in wishing to agree an amicable split rrangement when at worst the EU will only lose out on our annual subscription fee to their EU 'club'.....

Far more interesting reading other people's views on here, quite entertaining at times :winking:

(As I've said before), I voted against the UK staying in the EEC (as it was then) back in 1975.My experience of living and working in Spain (and France ) since that time have convinced me that the EU works well for the benefit of the majority of its citizens.

I accept (in retrospect) that the UK probably made a wise decision to stay out ot the Euro.However having attended a friend's wedding in 1998 in Sweden (and driving across Europe to do so) I've been convinced ever since that the Euro was a sound idea.Ironically,we're going back to visit them later this summer and of the three countries we'll be visiting,Norway,Denmark and Sweden,none of them are in the Euro.At least the Swedes voted against the adoption of the Euro in a referendum.I'll be interested to see how how our friends (one fellow Brit,one Swede see the EU these days).

Last edited:
Now that takes me back, Visited San Feliu back in the late 60's whilst on holiday (camping) at Rosas, before they started constructing umpteen villas and the marina complex. Great fun at the time. Liked Gerona too.

Rather reminds me of a family holiday in Lloret de Mar in the early 60's.Believe it or not, it was quite a posh place back then.What's been done to it since (and a lot of the Spanish coastline too) is a crime against humanity, in the name of mass tourism.:omg:

Yes, the EEC was a sound ideal but soon went to pot once the French and Italian farmers got going (ably assisted behind the scenes by their respective governments). The Euro has been shambles and I'm very glad we stayed out. When we moved from LSD to Decimal currency all prices increased, there's little doubt in my mind the Euro would have caused a similar outcome and to lose such a significant part of a national identity to me would have been the last straw. I am English by birth, not European.

The treaties subsequently signed-off by PM's leaves more than a lot to be desired, notably that of Lisbon.

To have a country and it's people made to accept decisions created outside of said country by a bunch of non-national so-called politicians (I find most the head folk in the EU totally blinkered in their adherence to the great 'dream') on laws, trade and immigration ethically and morally is not right. It is a cop out. There were trade agreements long established by the country that had to be dropped as part of adhering to the membership of the EU club.

I do not understand one bit of trade and free-movement of people being inexplorably linked, just who the hell in the EU made up that one?

Treating ever person (in Europe) as though they are all one and the same just does not work. Each country is totally different both in it's culture and everyday ways of life. Trying to enforce the one cap fits all scenario on every country within the EU is quite ridiculous.....or utterly stupid. I doubt you would think the Spanish similar to the French, I know the Greeks are as far removed from the Germans as are the Italians from say the Latvians.

Obviously the EU will have a shortfall in the club kitty which the French and Germans will probably have to fund, so saying if the EU big-wasn't (and still is) as extravagant and wasteful on it's grandiose spending schemes then the annual membership for each country could likely be cut.

And there you are.....like I said, why all the fuss from Brussels over us leaving if the EU is such a great and wonderful land of milk and honey?

I see nothing in the EU, there was life before it expanded into it's current state and there will be life long after (outside) it,
the country won't cease to exist.

Shame you don't like crosswords, we might have had at least one thing in common :winking: Though must admit have always liked Spain as a country on my travels.

Any specific thoughts on Gibraltar?

Rather reminds me of a family holiday in Lloret de Mar in the early 60's.Believe it or not, it was quite a posh place back then.What's been done to it since (and a lot of the Spanish coastline too) is a crime against humanity, in the name of mass tourism.:omg:

Lloret del Mar, that's a blast from the past ! I remember Marbella before it 'took' off'......

Yes, the EEC was a sound ideal but soon went to pot once the French and Italian farmers got going (ably assisted behind the scenes by their respective governments). The Euro has been shambles and I'm very glad we stayed out. When we moved from LSD to Decimal currency all prices increased, there's little doubt in my mind the Euro would have caused a similar outcome and to lose such a significant part of a national identity to me would have been the last straw. I am English by birth, not European.

The treaties subsequently signed-off by PM's leaves more than a lot to be desired, notably that of Lisbon.

To have a country and it's people made to accept decisions created outside of said country by a bunch of non-national so-called politicians (I find most the head folk in the EU totally blinkered in their adherence to the great 'dream') on laws, trade and immigration ethically and morally is not right. It is a cop out. There were trade agreements long established by the country that had to be dropped as part of adhering to the membership of the EU club.

I do not understand one bit of trade and free-movement of people being inexplorably linked, just who the hell in the EU made up that one?

Treating ever person (in Europe) as though they are all one and the same just does not work. Each country is totally different both in it's culture and everyday ways of life. Trying to enforce the one cap fits all scenario on every country within the EU is quite ridiculous.....or utterly stupid. I doubt you would think the Spanish similar to the French, I know the Greeks are as far removed from the Germans as are the Italians from say the Latvians.

Obviously the EU will have a shortfall in the club kitty which the French and Germans will probably have to fund, so saying if the EU big-wasn't (and still is) as extravagant and wasteful on it's grandiose spending schemes then the annual membership for each country could likely be cut.

And there you are.....like I said, why all the fuss from Brussels over us leaving if the EU is such a great and wonderful land of milk and honey?

I see nothing in the EU, there was life before it expanded into it's current state and there will be life long after (outside) it,
the country won't cease to exist.

Shame you don't like crosswords, we might have had at least one thing in common :winking: Though must admit have always liked Spain as a country on my travels.

Any specific thoughts on Gibraltar?

It's an amusing place to visit for a daytrip.Like a throwback to 50's Britain.Will be interesting to see if it can hang onto its current status by the end of the Brexit talks.

Big article in today's El Pais about the amount of drugs being run through there.Not to mention the money laundering,online gambling etc.

Had noticed a fair few of online / tv-promoted bingo and gambling sites are registered in Gibraltar.

At least it doesn't cite (the totally corrupt) Lagarde and her IMF contingent and their endless end of the world predictions,
and not just for the UK enconomy.

Interesting article, albeit always will be a one-way street. I doubt very much the Guardian would dare promote similarly in detail if their 'suggested' data (as claimed so closely monitored) pointed in the opposite direction.....or even flat sideways come to that.....wouldn't want to risk offending it's loyal readership would it.

Whilst on predictions, it's 'suggested' a bumper year of tourist income is coming to the UK this year....

Back