• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bet Phil was/is looking forward to those massive Sunderland fans travelling away in large numbers, but only 3 bothered to turn up at Grimsby Town in the Checkatrade Trophy last night, perhaps they had heard that Phil is no longer in the running after it was reported that Karanka is on his way up north . :smile:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41922973

Karanka wrote: "Next stop… *thinking emoji*", alongside an image of himself looking at the departures boards at London's King's Cross station. (On his way to Sunderland?)

I see Phil is still in with a shout though, according to the bookies.

Although this might be older than I suspect, as they still have Moyes down for 50/1

Capture.png

I'm not sure PB has issued a "Come and get me" plea. I think he has answered a direct question from Chris Phillips as to his thoughts on the Sunderland job.

He has a job to do here. We haven't had the best of starts, but we are better off than last season. However, it's about now that we start going on long unbeaten runs and unless we do that again, we will be nowhere near the play offs by January. Ron will then be under pressure to let Lenny go.

PB probably thinks that his job may well be on the line if that happens, even if it only means his contract won't be renewed. Managers usually have jobs for 2-3 years at most; he is already past that.

If you are a player or manager and supported a big club as a boy, of course it would be a dream to play for or manage them. It's no good comparing football to any other industry or profession as everything about it is completely different.

I do think however that it was a slightly mischievous question, designed to provoke a response that wouldn't be anything other than controversial, thereby selling more papers and directing more traffic to the website.

The result of him being so high in the bookies list is only as a result of everyone on here betting on him to get the job! In these markets, it only takes a small amount to shift the odds, usually disproportionately. If he started at 20-1, 3 or 4 people backing him for a tenner moves the price down. Other bookies see a shift and move their price down. People see the price movement and think there are legs in the story so put on money in case they miss out. The price moves down again and all of a sudden he's the favourite, and nothing has happened!

My guess - as it has been from day 1 - is Karanka.

Nearly 300 messages on this thread and as far as I can see, no-one has come close to answering the rather basic question of "Why on earth would they want him?".

His last two relegation battles finished with relegation. Since the second of those unsuccessful attempts to keep a team up, he has spent the last half dozen years knocking around in the lower divisions with no great distinction.

Nearly 300 messages on this thread and as far as I can see, no-one has come close to answering the rather basic question of "Why on earth would they want him?".

His last two relegation battles finished with relegation. Since the second of those unsuccessful attempts to keep a team up, he has spent the last half dozen years knocking around in the lower divisions with no great distinction.

I think the only person who thinks that they might is Phil Brown himself.

I'm pro-Brown in terms of what he has done at SUFC, but I'm not expecting us to lose him to a second tier side - even one that is as much as a basket case as Sunderland - any time soon.

Thought we did pretty well to finish seventh last season,actually.Though I agree with your main point.Phil Brown won't be going to Sunderland.He'll be staying with us until the end of the season,at least.

Fair comment on PB, but if they are not going to go for a lower division fella, why is Nathan Jones in the frame?

As others have said, Karenka seems to be the right fit. Knows the area. Sets his teams up not to concede goals. All ingredients to stabilize a club leaking points for fun.

Suppose because there's no exact science to respond.

He's had two relegations
He's also taken Hull into the PL
He took us up and made us a top half team in a league 1 .

Sunderland themselves have chosen a mixed bag of managers in their recent history , with managers of all sorts on their CV's.

Whoever does get the job faces a tough tough job, regeardless of their back ground. I've a season ticket friend up there and the club is in dire straights. Grayson to some was a strange choice as well.

If PB leaves here , be interesting to see who RM will target , experience or novices. I know this discussion is raging elsewhere , however we are very much entering the hindsight arena.

Furthermore , all PB has said is that he would be interested in they called due to his history with the Club, Sunderland haven't shown any interest.

Are we all reading too much into an answer to question?

Fair comment on PB, but if they are not going to go for a lower division fella, why is Nathan Jones in the frame?

Because Nathan Jones' best managerial years are (probably) ahead of him.

Phil Brown's best managerial years are (definitely) behind him.

Because Nathan Jones' best managerial years are (probably) ahead of him.

Phil Brown's best managerial years are (definitely) behind him.

For me I think it would be the wrong choice for Nathan. As you said, his best years are ahead of him. Sunderland is a mess and he could do more harm than than to his CV by making this move. Look at when Howe went to Burnley , wasn't the best move for him . Also look at Ince, did well in the lower league with a small Club, then suddenly , move higher and you find it's actually more deteremental. There are others , Jimmy FH, even Nigel Clough found it very different going from a smaller club to a larger club. There are so many more variables at a larger Club.

I suppose much will also depend on whether they go for the interview approach as some clubs do or go straight for their favoured one as happens more often these days. I would have thought Brown in with a shot if invited to interview? although a big if

The problem with Sunderland seems to be the "BIG" club syndrome

Not sure many higher managers will want to taint their reputations knowing 6 months they could be out on their ear, with no doubt a big pay off

Manager like Harry Redknob, doesn't care about the club only the money aspects, someone like Phil Brown has nothing to lose, his has a marmite following with supporters and knows this can send him into a new sphere if he turns things around and if not knowing a smaller club in Div 1 or 2 will pick him up

UtS

Cant really see what Karanka has done that would make him even money favourite. he's got a foreign name and that makes him good I suppose. [h=1][/h]

Cant really see what Karanka has done that would make him even money favourite. he's got a foreign name and that makes him good I suppose.

He got Middlesbrough promoted into the Premier League.

I wonder if there is another candidate who has got a team promoted into the Premier League. :winking:

Back