• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

and here is a match report:

No.2 Div 3 (South)
Wednesday 4th September 1946
Clapton Orient 1-1 Southend United.

Southend continued their good start to the season by gaining their third point from two games with a draw against Clapton Orient only capitulating in the last few minutes by which time the light was so bad that Hankey can be somewhat excused for allowing the Orient to score direct from a corner kick. Rain had been falling at the start of the match but this had stopped by half time resulting in the pitch being in a sticky condition. The United were in confident mood and this was confirmed after twenty five minutes when Dudley netted from twenty yards with a fierce shot after a melee. Sheard was a tower of strength with Jackson and Bell working hard, while of the forwards Dudley and Hamilton played brilliant football. The Orient equaliser came five minutes from time with a shot which seemed hardly possible from the stands. The attendance was 6,300 and the Orient club are waiting for approval for their change of name to Leyton Orient. Unfortunately in the excitement of the closing stages play became somewhat vigorous and a small section of the crowd demonstrated against Southend after Hamilton had been spoken to by the referee and the Police removed about half a dozen people who had encroached onto the pitch. Team; Hankey; Jackson and Bell; Harris, Sheard and Walton; Smirk, Hamilton, Dudley, Thompson and Lane.

Make up your mind reporter. Was the equaliser an unbelievable shot or a corner that slipped in ?

Make up your mind reporter. Was the equaliser an unbelievable shot or a corner that slipped in ?

That's a bit harsh Mick, our poor reporter, still damp from all that rain, could hardly see from poor light and was actually more interested in watching the Orient fans being chucked out.

:winking:

Preseason training 1962.
PA-10982082.jpg

FA Cup replay 3rd Round, 1958 at Roots Hall, Southend 2 Liverpool 3. Arthur Rowley scored the winner for them by the way. Four days earlier we drew 1-1 in the first match in front of 43,454 at Anfield. We also were drawn against them the season before, also the 3rd Round, but that time we won 2-1 in front of 18,253 at Roots Hall. Wahey.
soccer-fa-cup-third-round-replay-southend-united-v-liverpool-g9jdex.jpg

soccer-fa-cup-third-round-southend-united-v-liverpool-g9j8gr.jpg
From memory,I think Rowley did score, but it DEFINITELY wasn’t ARTHUR,our future manager.Think it was Jack,but memory possibly failing.

This was on FB yesterday, I hadn't seen it before though probably some of you have:

[video=youtube;EtoXvDZXDDA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtoXvDZXDDA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

This was on FB yesterday, I hadn't seen it before though probably some of you have:

[video=youtube;EtoXvDZXDDA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtoXvDZXDDA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Wasn't there a 30 minutes Thames "World in Action" programme done around that time when Anton Johnson was asset stripping.

Didn't Captain Bob Maxwell assist as well ? About the time he was trying to merge Oxford and Reading - Thames Valley Royals !! and before he forgot he couldn't swim........

Yeah, I remember reading that too. Uncle Vic's programme notes for our League Cup game against Derby in 1987 paid tribute to Maxwell (as he owned Derby at the time) and Bates. Feels a bit grubby having to be thankful to that pair.

I can pick out Tony Bentley, Ken Jones, Peter Watson and Sandy Anderson but I've got a real struggle with the rest !?!

Didn't Captain Bob Maxwell assist as well ? About the time he was trying to merge Oxford and Reading - Thames Valley Royals !! and before he forgot he couldn't swim........

He certainly did, I was working at the Daily Mirror at the time, every Christmas he sent all employees a book about him self (I kid you not)

The year Oxford won the League/Milk cup, we all got a special book sent to us covering the history and and cup run
Thames Valley Royals was his idea of a super stadium and super team, can you imagine it now bad enough with MK Dons

Once had a fools and horses moment with him. all managers were invited to the tenth floor and had a Christmas bash with wives with name tags, my wife was impressed he knew by name and told her its only my name tag that said Derek that he knew me. Evening went on ,time to go home, my name tag had fallen off, said my goodbyes to him and shook his hands, Robert Maxwell looked me in the eyes and said "Great to see you Dave,safe journey home !!"

This was taken before the 1979/80 season. We had striker problems that season as Derrick Parker was the top scorer with only Ten. We were relegated. Ron Pountney in midfield was the stand out player.
C_IsoDCXcAAchff.jpg

Back