• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I was in touch with Steve Goodwin (third from right middle row). He signed from Norwich and was with Southend for about three years, after injury he was struggling to get back in the side and it was said that Crystal Palace were interested but a Norwegian side came in first and so he signed for them. He loved it in Norway and after his playing career was over, worked for a Sports retailer and is still in Norway now.

One story he told me was that he turned up at Roots Hall one match day but Dave Smith the manager said he wouldn't play him as he hadn't shaved. Steve rushed off home to Westcliff and returned clean shaven but Dave Smith still wouldn't play him.

Steve had two daughters who both play handball, one of them Britt played for the British National team in the 2012 London Olympics and later won the Norwegian/Swedish version of Big Brother.

I was in touch with Steve Goodwin (third from right middle row). He signed from Norwich and was with Southend for about three years, after injury he was struggling to get back in the side and it was said that Crystal Palace were interested but a Norwegian side came in first and so he signed for them. He loved it in Norway and after his playing career was over, worked for a Sports retailer and is still in Norway now.

One story he told me was that he turned up at Roots Hall one match day but Dave Smith the manager said he wouldn't play him as he hadn't shaved. Steve rushed off home to Westcliff and returned clean shaven but Dave Smith still wouldn't play him.

Steve had two daughters who both play handball, one of them Britt played for the British National team in the 2012 London Olympics and later won the Norwegian/Swedish version of Big Brother.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britt_Goodwin

In all my time of supporting the Blues I don't think the fans have ever been really behind a manager to the extent of this period with Webb ....DW yellow and blue army ....You really haven't had that connection apart from a brief spell with Judas since and the connection with PB has certainly been missing....Back to picture what a disaster the falling out between VJ and DW ,the table for those few hours after the Newcastle win being the high of over 50 years of suffering!!
That team literally fills me with joy....true joy

I can pick out Tony Bentley, Ken Jones, Peter Watson and Sandy Anderson but I've got a real struggle with the rest !?!
Off the cuff,those you are missing(in order):
fryatt williamson goy costello dicks kerrins goulden corthine kellard shiels

This was taken before the 1979/80 season. We had striker problems that season as Derrick Parker was the top scorer with only Ten. We were relegated. Ron Pountney in midfield was the stand out player.
C_IsoDCXcAAchff.jpg

Think this was the 79 of 78/79 and not 79/80. Peter Abbott wasn't around in 79/80.

The start of Southend's new ground. About 1.58 Minutes in.

[video=youtube;-qWenc-rG8Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qWenc-rG8Q[/video]

70s..that made my year so far..."BRILL"...loved it
How you find this stuff ,either you have nowt to do ...or you are a SUFC legend...IMO,you are the latter

Terrific team can name the players apart from the last three on the front row (L-R). I think the strawberry blonde (ginger to you and me) is Colin Morris? But the other two two are really bugging me

Back