• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mmm.. took Hull from the depths of the second tier and promoted them to the Premier Legaue, then kept them in the top flight the following season?

It's all relative though, surely.

Not doubting PB's achievements and people on here will know I was pro-PB up until the last couple of weeks or so, but his achievements with Hull aren't comparable with CP's at Charlton. They could be deemed the same, insomuch as they took a club and moved them forward and up a division, but they would both be working on completely different budgets at different levels.

Mmm.. took Hull from the depths of the second tier and promoted them to the Premier Legaue, then kept them in the top flight the following season?

A good achievement but no better in my eyes than Powell reversing Charlton’s backwards slide (2009/10 - 4th L1; 2010/11 - 13th L1) before winning the division with over 100 points, before finishing in 9th and only 3 points off the playoffs in the Championship the following season. And then only leaving the club because he wouldn’t accept the new Chairman interfering in team selections and formations.

If you believe George Boateng and other Hull players, Brown is responsible for their relegation from the Prem the following season despite losing his job in the March. Not to mention getting relegated from the Championship with a Preston team which was far too good on paper for the drop. I don’t think Powell has any relegations on his CV? :whistling:

Id much rather have a club legend in control of things in a relegation fight than someone with no affiliation to the club.

I'm happy with having Powell at the club tbh.

People are saying that they would rather have the cowleys, but what have they achieved in comparison?

Non league promotions. Nothing league based as of yet, even though they are having a good season at Lincoln. It could amount to nothing.

And getting a non-league side to the sixth round of the FA Cup. Phil Brown could barely get a league side in to the second round!

People seem to be a bit down on their achievements for whatever reason, maybe because they are rumoured not to have much love for SUFC.

'Uniting fans' has no relevance to whether or not we stay up.

Actually I would argue the opposite. Uniting the fans will lead to a far better atmosphere at Roots Hall, which will in turn lift the players, which might be the difference we need at the moment.

Id much rather have a club legend in control of things in a relegation fight than someone with no affiliation to the club.

I'm happy with having Powell at the club tbh.

People are saying that they would rather have the cowleys, but what have they achieved in comparison?

Non league promotions. Nothing league based as of yet, even though they are having a good season at Lincoln. It could amount to nothing.

The Cowley's are yet to have a bad season in any league they have been in. They have shown they can do it when expected (Lincoln Champions) and when not expected (Braintree in the conf play-offs). They would be the perfect appointment, an appointment other sides would be jealous of.

Dont worry, gonna be too hard to explain to assumption bit, sorry.

In terms of my age, yep, I watched Powell pretty much every week from about the age of 6 to 13. Remember it very well.

More inspiring appointments for me off the top of my head... The Cowleys OR N.Jones. Both in roles so would be a sideways move and a big payoff, so unlikely. If we’re really lucky... Grayson, McDermott, Monk (that would be WOW), Warburton... if we're truly a forward thinking club, they're all currently out of work. Thats without me looking into better options properly, but only then... and only then... after tapping up them... would I consider hiring Powell as an u23s scout on a part time 3-month contract!

None of those names are realistic though. You might as well add Pep G to that list.

The Cowley's are yet to have a bad season in any league they have been in. They have shown they can do it when expected (Lincoln Champions) and when not expected (Braintree in the conf play-offs). They would be the perfect appointment, an appointment other sides would be jealous of.

I still think Powell would be a better and less risky choice at the moment. I have no doubt that, as things stand, the Cowleys have a big future in management. But they have managed half a season at League 2, their highest level, and have no experience of managing some of the “bigger names” that we have in the squad. I would also expect Powell to have a longer list of contacts by virtue of the quality of his playing career, his time as Chairman and trustee of the PFA and his ambassadorial role for the 2018 World Cup bid.

Your age betrays you if that's how you remember it :smile:

And it wasnt a rumour, they did indeed make an approach and Ron rejected it, being up and coming only lasts till your first sacking, and every manager (except Wenger) gets sacked at some point.

He was young to me JM, but there again a lot of people are young to me.

Why aren't those names realistic?

Because they’re not. Why would they want to come here? How can you expect us to realistically get much better than Chris Powell who has a promotion and 2 decent Chanpionship campaigns to his name? You are saying some odd things.

Because most wouldn't look at League 1, and the ones in League 2 are at clubs that will expect to replace us in league 1 next season.

Tell me why you think they're realistic, on every level, especially a financial one.

As it happens I wouldn't be surprised if someone is given the job until the end of the season only, with a view to making a permanent appointment when we know what division we're in.

For example, if we stay up, and someone like Lincoln (for example) didn't then we may go after the Cowley's in the summer.

I may, however, be proved completely wrong!

A friend of mine is a Charlton fan so asked him his opinions on Chris Powell as a manager and whether he thought it would be a good appointment:

I would say yes, only issue I had with Powell was he always made subs too late
...tactics were good... signings we made some decent ones yeah but we had a terrible owner so wasnt given much...
if the owner backs him he will do well...our owner bought players in from his other clubs and told Powell use them or be sacked.... hence why he got sacked

he played more youth than the players the owner bought in and he gave Joe Gomez his debut who now plays for Liverpool and England
i would love him back at Charlton

Just a sample of one, but doesn't suggest this would be disastrous and backs up other comments that he is still well regarded at Charlton - at least with some fans.

Most of them would be decent choices, but they werent exactly realistic.

THe Cowleys and Jones are at clubs arguably bigger than us and one will definitely be in League one, and the others are still in a with a good shout. So as you said yourself those are unlikely.

The rest are all Championship level managers, so whilst one or two of them Id be more than happy to see here they would be pretty amazing captures, unemployed or not. Would Warburton for example really be interested, and affordable, after managing Forest last year?

He was young to me JM, but there again a lot of people are young to me.

I was referring (not well enough) to how you spelt his name. The sacrilege :)

You are in the small minority for sure and would I be right to guess you never saw him as a player? That certainly plays a big part (and being a legend on the pitch really shouldnt make any difference when rating him as a potential manager, but it does).

Who would inspire you?

The only other attractive option I can see is Cowley, who has zero experience above League Two so I wouldnt class as inspiring.

Why do you make the assumption that philos84 didn't see him as a player?

I did and as a player I can confirm that his performances in a Blues shirt puts him among some of the best that have worn it.

Does this make him a perfect candidate as a Blues manager? Everyone talks about Tilson as an example of an ex-player come legend that brought us success and there is no doubting what he achieved. But I am not reading about the relegation that he was involved in either in any of these posts. Nor his failings at other clubs.

Chris Powell has 1 promotion on his CV. How many managers can claim that? The answer is many. So the fact that he is an ex player and therefore a "legend" is the main argument that many of the posters are using for him to get the job. I am also sure that many of these posters also have not seen him play and are just want an ex-player as a manager because they believe that ex players have the ability to gain respect from the current squad and have the managerial expertise to turn the dire situation we are in around.

We need a "Sam Allardyce" equivalent for League 1. Is Chris Powell the one for that? I am not doubting his managerial experience. But I don't think he has faced a situation like this before.

My main concern is that he was another full back like Brown. I hope he would be able to get our attacking play going as well and not just focus on defence.

You are in the small minority for sure and would I be right to guess you never saw him as a player? That certainly plays a big part (and being a legend on the pitch really shouldnt make any difference when rating him as a potential manager, but it does).

Who would inspire you?

The only other attractive option I can see is Cowley, who has zero experience above League Two so I wouldnt class as inspiring.

Can you have anything but a small minority? :winking:

While I am not wildly enthusiastic about Powell, I am not against him. Yes, he was a great player for the club and many of those who remember those days will feel a warm glow about it but that has no bearing on his prospects of rescuing a side in freefall. Anyone stepping into this job has a mammoth task on their hands as the situation was allowed to deteriorate for too long when it was obvious there were endemic problems months ago. Powell will start with a huge amount of goodwill and optimism, if indeed he is the choice, but the key will be if he can somehow get the players to perform to the best of their ability. Is he tough enough to face down some of these old lags trading on their past reputations? He inherits a demoralised, confused and divided bunch of players by the look of it and has little time to assess strengths and weaknesses and get some new faces in. I do hope he succeeds and we avoid the drop but it is asking an awful lot of him and only time will tell. One thing is for sure, the standard of football cannot possibly get any worse, Brown's ale house hoofball was the absolute negation of entertainment.

Seems funny to me that philos84 has been a SZ member for a year yet has posted more in this thread than he has in total in that year...... why has the possibility of Chris Powell being the new boss rattled your cage so much? At least he won't be whoring himself with every manager's job that becomes vacant.

My main concern is that he was another full back like Brown. I hope he would be able to get our attacking play going as well and not just focus on defence.

We were one of the top scorers last year, only 3 teams scored more and our defence this year has been dreadful. So not sure Brown just focussed on defence.

I dont think it matters that much where the manager played.

Can you have anything but a small minority? :winking:

Haha. A minority can be anywhere from 1% to 49%, so yes. Even those in a large majority would know that :)

Seems funny to me that philos84 has been a SZ member for a year yet has posted more in this thread than he has in total in that year...... why has the possibility of Chris Powell being the new boss rattled your cage so much? At least he won't be whoring himself with every manager's job that becomes vacant.

To be fair in that time Ive barely posted but posted a lot the last 24 hours. Thats what big news does, brings the lurkers out.

Back