• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I am of the opinion that Powell is not the best choice, have said that he is one of my favourite players and IMHO one of the best, however one promotion aside his management history is mediocre at best.

Agreed he is what is needed at the club now, in terms of giving everyone a boost, but this will not be a caretaker role until the end of the season, it will be a 3yr contract, I hope that he does succeed but would not want that image tarnished by failure.

Powell habitually appoints Alex Dyer as an assistant, he was a striker .....

I think it's nonsense that only strikers coach strikers and vice versa. Webby was a defender and yet we had great attacking play under him. Bobby Moore was one of the best defenders ever and couldnt coach anyone to save his life. Alan Little was a tenacious midfielder but I saw none of that in his sides. Sturrock was a striker but our strikers under him were apart from Corr and a glimpse of Dickinson quite poor. (Plus they attacked in completely different way to Sturrock himself)

Whoever is appoint we need to supported- through good times and not so good (that will require practice). If Ron decides that's Chris Powell then great.

As always people will see what they want to see- and in particular only the facts that suit

He took over Charlton (a big club in L1) and won 4 on the bounce, then didn't win in 11 and ended up mid table rather than in the promotion places?
He then took them up- tick
He then took them to 9th- tick
He then left when they were bottom of the Championship following season?
Huddersfield he kept them in the Championship - did ok

So if you see both sides the results are a little mixed. Now don't take this as saying I wouldn't give him the job- but some expectation setting is probably wise for our ever tolerant support..

Also he I understand might not be appointed by sat- def not in charge of the team Sat? This starts to worry me more. By next Monday there will be 9 days left of the transfer window..

It leaves me wondering is Chris Powell not the only game in town- struggling to explain any delays otherwise..

He focused on defence this season, hence the numerous ‘clean sheet mentality’ quotes. The fact that he failed miserably and the team offered nothing upfront is the reason he was sacked.

He has always gone on about clean sheet mentality, he was saying it when we were in league two. People have always said he is too defensive, even last season when we were scoring loads. It mainly comes from the first season or two when our goals per game was indeed very low. When we were promoted we were the lowest scoring side in the top 7.

If he had been more defensive minded and ground out a few more 1-0's he would still be in a job. We have almost conceded as many goals this season as we did last year and the goal scoring has dropped so neither end of the pitch any good.

Unlike Brown when he was whoring himself out for all those dream jobs, Chris Powell hasn't made any public statement and has handled himself with dignity throughout his career.

In the case of the Sunderland job it was Chris Phillips that made it public based on a question he posed to Phil Brown.. I hardly call that "whoring"

Maybe add Hull to that, Sheffield United and even Portsmouth was rumoured , surely that's enough when you are asking your players to sign new contracts and show some loyalty.
Now I have only recently felt it was time for Brown to go, but I must admit I always felt he couldn't wait to move on, well now he can with my good wishes.
But I can't understand people moaning about Chris Powell and his credentials. Being a scout for Spurs means he will have seen and possibly identified potential signings already.
If a scout is open to move on, it isn't the same as a manager making it obvious he wants to leave, it wouldn't have worried me at all if Bob Shaw had said he'd love the Bolton ( insert any other team here) job.

How can you base statement like "whoring" on rumours? Either he is or he is not...:nope:

I think it's nonsense that only strikers coach strikers and vice versa. Webby was a defender and yet we had great attacking play under him. Bobby Moore was one of the best defenders ever and couldnt coach anyone to save his life. Alan Little was a tenacious midfielder but I saw none of that in his sides. Sturrock was a striker but our strikers under him were apart from Corr and a glimpse of Dickinson quite poor. (Plus they attacked in completely different way to Sturrock himself)

Was told by somebody very close to Bobby that he found it difficult when players couldn't do things he found so simple. Their opinion was he would have been a great coach of players with a better level of basic ability.

Was told by somebody very close to Bobby that he found it difficult when players couldn't do things he found so simple. Their opinion was he would have been a great coach of players with a better level of basic ability.

I'm not going to namedrop but someone who he coached at the club told me the same. His drinking didn't help either.

These are jobs I've heard he went for. Maybe you need to ask Rigsby for a more comprehensive list. :winking:

Statements like this is what hate? "I've heard this" "I've heard that".... People are very quick to make the accusations that he was "whoring" himself for numerous jobs but when asked to prove it they can't and use someone else to provide the evidence.

Phil Brown was no angel in the way he managed at the club. He wouldn't be the first and he won't be the last. Is Chris Powell "whiter than white"? Who knows. i am sure there is some dirt on him or were his dismissals purely based on results.???

These are jobs I've heard he went for. Maybe you need to ask Rigsby for a more comprehensive list. :winking:

He never approached any of those you mention or even said he was interested. He was approached about the number 2 job at Sunderland which he turned down before anything was started.

Chris Phillips or channel 5 presenters asking a loaded question about your old club etc have now become Zone myths. Does anyone really believe you apply for the Sunderland job via the Evening Echo.

When Bolton were struggling in the Championship a few seasons ago he was due to go and watch them play in London one night. He cancelled as it would not look good for the current manger if he was seen in the stands as obviously people would put 2+2 to make 7.

Tilson on the other hand looked like he was enjoying himself in amongst the Southend fans behind the goal at Northampton. In fact you couldn't miss him as we walked in.

He never approached any of those you mention or even said he was interested. He was approached about the number 2 job at Sunderland which he turned down before anything was started.

Chris Phillips or channel 5 presenters asking a loaded question about your old club etc have now become Zone myths. Does anyone really believe you apply for the Sunderland job via the Evening Echo.

When Bolton were struggling in the Championship a few seasons ago he was due to go and watch them play in London one night. He cancelled as it would not look good for the current manger if he was seen in the stands as obviously people would put 2+2 to make 7.

Tilson on the other hand looked like he was enjoying himself in amongst the Southend fans behind the goal at Northampton. In fact you couldn't miss him as we walked in.

I literally have no idea what relevance this has to the thread or your reply regarding the jobs Brown did or didn't go for

I was only joking. But it seems funny to me that you can state categorically that he didn't go for any of these jobs, did he really tell you everything he was doing? I doubt it very much. The unfortunate thing about Browns dismissal is that we won't be able to get so much inside info from you in future.
I don't want to get into any petty keyboard squabbles, so I won't be making any more tongue in cheek comments for a while. :thumbsup:

I was only joking. But it seems funny to me that you can state categorically that he didn't go for any of these jobs, did he really tell you everything he was doing? I doubt it very much. The unfortunate thing about Browns dismissal is that we won't be able to get so much inside info from you in future.
I don't want to get into any petty keyboard squabbles, so I won't be making any more tongue in cheek comments for a while. :thumbsup:

I did take as a joke. I was answering to the wider question/job myth that has grown on the zone.

By the way my info comes from many sources rather than PB. However when I did ask him directly would he be going to Sunderland he answered no straight away. Long before Phillips printed what he did and knowing full well what reaction he would get from the usual suspects.

Surely the question should be not whether we would be happy with Chris Powell but whether he would take a risk to manage us.

We already have some of you thinking getting a well funded Charlton team promoted means he will do the same for us.

Surely the question should be not whether we would be happy with Chris Powell but whether he would take a risk to manage us.

We already have some of you thinking getting a well funded Charlton team promoted means he will do the same for us.

The answer to your question will probably be yes, risk worth taking. He hasn't managed in a while, so it will be a challenge for his reputation, he has a soft spot for the club, and at long last, maybe, the stadium could be on the verge of happening. All of those things will be attractive to him.

Back