• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

One thing I'd really like to see is a striker coach. To have Coughlan taking the strikers for training when he was a centre-back is pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Seems funny to me that philos84 has been a SZ member for a year yet has posted more in this thread than he has in total in that year...... why has the possibility of Chris Powell being the new boss rattled your cage so much? At least he won't be whoring himself with every manager's job that becomes vacant.

How many did Brown "whore" himself to??? Bolton last season... Sunderland this season. Both clubs that he has strong links to. If I am not mistaken there were many more jobs that became available that he didn't even make reference to. So hardly "every managers job".

Who is/was Chris Powell employed by at the moment? Should he respect them as well?

How many did Brown "whore" himself to??? Bolton last season... Sunderland this season. Both clubs that he has strong links to. If I am not mistaken there were many more jobs that became available that he didn't even make reference to. So hardly "every managers job".

Who is/was Chris Powell employed by at the moment? Should he respect them as well?

Spurs, well perhaps not anymore.

I am neither pro or anti Chris Powell being our Manager. I am far from sure that he is a 'better manager' than Phil Brown. However, bearing in mind recent results, it has been decided that a change was needed and I will give Powell or whoever gets appointed, the benefit of the doubt. Am back for 3 games at the end of Jan/beginning of Feb and as ever, really looking forward to it.

Unlike Brown when he was whoring himself out for all those dream jobs, Chris Powell hasn't made any public statement and has handled himself with dignity throughout his career.

Havent read the whole thread but yes I have reservations about CP being manager but its like we say about players. We're Southend United, not Manchester United. We're not going to get anyone on the up (unless they're currently managing in the Ryman league). So we have no choice but to either take a chance on a 'damaged goods' manager, or go for a complete novice on the basis they were a good player & want a chance at management. It worked with Tilson for a few years, but look at his career since. Sturrock had health problems but did the job required, PB was definitely damaged goods but got us promoted & did ok until running out of steam. Point being Ron's choices have generally proved to be astute so I'll trust his judgement, and of course Chris Powell will have the fans on-side at least for a while. So all in all its probably as good as we can hope for. Time will tell..

Seems funny to me that philos84 has been a SZ member for a year yet has posted more in this thread than he has in total in that year...... why has the possibility of Chris Powell being the new boss rattled your cage so much? At least he won't be whoring himself with every manager's job that becomes vacant.

Big news and have the day off work unexpectedly. My apologies.

Unlike Brown when he was whoring himself out for all those dream jobs, Chris Powell hasn't made any public statement and has handled himself with dignity throughout his career.

The difference is that Brown was asked a question by a journalist, and answered it honestly. Do we even know if any journalist has spoken to Powell?

Maybe PBs downfall here is that he was too honest. Maybe he should have deflected the question.

Maybe add Hull to that, Sheffield United and even Portsmouth was rumoured , surely that's enough when you are asking your players to sign new contracts and show some loyalty.
Now I have only recently felt it was time for Brown to go, but I must admit I always felt he couldn't wait to move on, well now he can with my good wishes.
But I can't understand people moaning about Chris Powell and his credentials. Being a scout for Spurs means he will have seen and possibly identified potential signings already.
If a scout is open to move on, it isn't the same as a manager making it obvious he wants to leave, it wouldn't have worried me at all if Bob Shaw had said he'd love the Bolton ( insert any other team here) job.

A) has he been asked ? (because "whoring yourself" only appears to occur when a journalist askes you a loaded question)
B) We might not be the team he supports and therefore not a dream job

You must be a right miserable sod - you're actually trying to find negatives in everything...

Are you Phil Brown?

The points listed as positives baffle me...

Has won the division we play in - Insert applause here
Finished 9th in championship - I mean we could list all the managers who have also finished 9th and higher over the past 4 years that Powell has failed to get a job at clubs further down the football pyramid
Has managed plenty at a higher level - "Plenty"... please explain?
Has coached at various big clubs too - Various... who?? Huddersfield and Derby for 2 games?
Recently been a scout for spurs.... - Why is that a good thing???
Obvious contacts throughout the game - Yep, most people involved in football do
PFA representative - Yet he still hasnt been able to get a managerial job in league 2 or the conf over the past 4 seasons.
England caps...played at the highest level - So has Joey Barton, Matt Jarvis and Gavin McCann

We were one of the top scorers last year, only 3 teams scored more and our defence this year has been dreadful. So not sure Brown just focussed on defence.

I dont think it matters that much where the manager played.

Haha. A minority can be anywhere from 1% to 49%, so yes. Even those in a large majority would know that :)

To be fair in that time Ive barely posted but posted a lot the last 24 hours. Thats what big news does, brings the lurkers out.

He focused on defence this season, hence the numerous ‘clean sheet mentality’ quotes. The fact that he failed miserably and the team offered nothing upfront is the reason he was sacked.

Let's not forget that Brown's contract renewal talks started long before this season .If no progress was made he knew if he didn't produce the results this year he would be out of a job in the summer.Instead of answering the questions I'm fully committed to SUFC at present he told the truth and touted himself to other clubs....The effect on both supporters and players ,turned any remaining backing he had against him.
The one advantage Powell has from the start his he probably has more contacts with the London / South area where our most likely future potential players will come from,also unlike Brown who thought hed be in a Fossetts by now he might actually have bigger funds and be able to attract people with a new stadium
The difference is that Brown was asked a question by a journalist, and answered it honestly. Do we even know if any journalist has spoken to Powell?

Maybe PBs downfall here is that he was too honest. Maybe he should have deflected the question.

Back