• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The short answer of why AJ gets so much flack, is due to the way he's been manufactured, packaged and sold to be public, by a team of con men.

People, like myself, can't differentiate between AJ the boxer, and AJ the Matchroom stooge, who is crammed down your throat at every opportunity.

People, like myself, can't stomach the biased & borderline fraudulent agenda which has been pushed harder by the Sky hype machine than for any other boxer in British history.

People, like myself, are despondent that Hearn can bang on about AJ selling out arenas & stadiums, but refuses to acknowledge or discuss why the Matchroom sponsors, are reselling thousands of those tickets for Upto 10x face value.

People, like myself, can't bare the fake persona that Joshua is forced to portray.

People, like myself, can't understand all the preferential treatment Joshua gets, be it boxing, media or legal matters.

It comes down to people's personal agenda, like most things in life. I can only speak for myself, but I make no bones about the fact that if Joshua had been with a different promotional company, then who knows, maybe I'd have been a super fan. But frankly, if you associate yourself with crooks & bell ends, then you can't be surprised if you end up being classed guilty by association.

And see, this is where the whole "casual" arguement stems from. Most people who watched the fight on Saturday, wouldn't begin to know, or understand all the points I made above. They just wouldn't know. It's not really public knowledge, and unless you immerse yourself in boxing, it's simply impossible to know. Yet they are the ones championing Joshua, buying the over-inflated tickets & paying the £20 for an evening of mis-matched fights. It's not their fault, it's the people at the top, making the decisions. And before you say, that's business, that's supply and demand, what kind of business model is it to regularly **** on your hardcore regulars?

To use an analogy, it's like at New Years, where some pub tries to charge you £20 to get in, becuase all the one-night-a-year drinkers come out to play. Who's to blame there? The casual drinkers? Or the greedy publican who's seizing an opportunity to line his pockets.

Playing devils advocate, so what?

He's not the first sportsman to be manufactured, although being honest, and maybe naïve....other than his out of the ring persona, I'm not sure how you can manufacture a Boxer. There's nothing you can do to give him an advantage in the ring, that can't be exposed if the guy simply isn't good enough. He was fortunate in the final at the Olympics, but he was in the final, and the Olympics themselves on merit. His path has been quick, but not as easy as some who pad their records out into the late 20's and 30's before facing anyone of note.

You don't have to like someone, or their associations to appreciate what they've done. Take me and Fury. I think he is a prize bellend. But I love what he did for the division, and I'm in awe of his performance in Germany.

Regards the fake persona, I doubt there is a single high profile sportsman who hasn't had media training to tell them who they should be in front of the camera's. Hell I reckon they even tried with Fury, more so given his tendency to run his mouth - but I think we all know what his response to that would have been.

I like watching Joshua fight, and I like watching how this division is unfolding at the moment, after a decade of the Klitschko's it's refreshing to see belts change hands, and champions fight champions. Do I think all his fights should be PPV, nah, not really, more so because he commands so much of the takings that they can't afford credible opponents for the undercards. But I do pay it, I like having a boxing show on, on a Saturday night, that's not on a pikey stream (this probably says more about my ability to find a decent stream, tbh). And I like the main event. Plus, quite frankly, £20 is nothing really for a night of boxing on the telly.

Will I go see Joshua live again, yeah, if it suits my schedule / I can get tickets....but I'll also be down the York Hall, seeing the likes of Waidi Camacho, Jermaine Smyle, headline. I just love boxing, be it the big event. I think you're wrong if I'm honest, you can be immersed in boxing and still love the big commercial shows, even if you don't like the individual. Dillian Whyte is a recent example for me.

Last edited:
Playing devils advocate, so what?

Well, to a lot of people, those things I pointed out, truly matter. There doesn't seem to be any grey matter on the subject, you just have to fall on one side of the coin. Either you ignore those factors, and just enjoy AJ for what he is, or you refuse to ignore those factors, which will inevitably give you a different outlook on him. There's no right or wrong, just different perspective.

He was fortunate in the final at the Olympics, but he was in the final, and the Olympics themselves on merit. His path has been quick, but not as easy as some who pad their records out into the late 20's and 30's before facing anyone of note.

Not just lucky in the final, he lost his opening fight to Erislandy Savon.

You don't have to like someone, or their associations to appreciate what they've done. Take me and Fury. I think he is a prize bellend. But I love what he did for the division, and I'm in awe of his performance in Germany.

Here's the (controversial) thing though, I don't appreciate what he's done. He's done exactly what was expected of him, in every fight he's had, despite a little wobble against Wlad.

Almost everything about AJ's career, has an air of right place, right time, about it. Now, there's not neccessarily anything wrong with that, but there's nothing that makes him special, either.

Regards the fake persona, I doubt there is a single high profile sportsman who hasn't had media training to tell them who they should be in front of the camera's. Hell I reckon they even tried with Fury, more so given his tendency to run his mouth - but I think we all know what his response to that would have been.

Oh come on, the whole "stay humble", "boy next door" image is pure crap. Boxing has ALWAYS had its characters, who lived true to themselves, and didn't need a PR team to help them through their career. Most of the ATG's fall into that category; Mike Tyson, Tommy Hearns, Muhammed Ali, Larry Holmes, George Foreman, Roberto Duran, Julio Cesar Chavez, Marvin Hagler, Jack Dempsey, Bennie Briscoe, Floyd Mayweather, Jake LaMotta, Ernie Shavers. I could go on.

The difference with AJ is, he IS a street kid, who has been polished & shined up real good, to fit a more marketable persona. In a weird way, he reminds me of OJ Simpson before he got all stabby. He was virtually a National Treasure, who could do no wrong. But deep down/away from the cameras, there's a polar opposite side to him. I'm not suggesting for one moment that AJ is, or would be, as bad as OJ, but he's certainly not what he's portrayed to be.

Personally, I'd let the dog off his leash, but that'd probably affect the Matchroom coffers a tad.

I like watching Joshua fight, and I like watching how this division is unfolding at the moment, after a decade of the Klitschko's it's refreshing to see belts change hands, and champions fight champions. Do I think all his fights should be PPV, nah, not really, more so because he commands so much of the takings that they can't afford credible opponents for the undercards. But I do pay it, I like having a boxing show on, on a Saturday night, that's not on a pikey stream (this probably says more about my ability to find a decent stream, tbh). And I like the main event. Plus, quite frankly, £20 is nothing really for a night of boxing on the telly.

Will I go see Joshua live again, yeah, if it suits my schedule / I can get tickets....but I'll also be down the York Hall, seeing the likes of Waidi Camacho, Jermaine Smyle, headline. I just love boxing, be it the big event. I think you're wrong if I'm honest, you can be immersed in boxing and still love the big commercial shows, even if you don't like the individual. Dillian Whyte is a recent example for me.

Mate, there's nothing wrong with supporting Joshua, I'm certainly not saying that, or trying to come across like that.

But even you will know that there are many, many fans who cannot warm to him, and outright dislike him (as per your OP on the matter) I'm just giving you some insight into the reasoning behind why that is. And like I said at the start of this post, it just purely depends on what bothers you or not. Personally, everything about him, and his setup bothers me. And that's without even delving into the racism.

It's irrespective what side of the coin you are, as It doesn't make you more/less of a "true" boxing fan (whatever that may be), it just means people have different perspectives.

P.S. Wadi Camacho? If he was fighting in my back garden, I'd draw the curtains

The WBA have ordered Joshua to fight the drugs cheat as his mandatory. He has 150 days to fight him.

What is also interesting unless I have missed it is the Joshua v Parker fight was the last fight of his current contract with Matchroom. I haven’t seen or heard anything about a new contract with him. I know Bob Arum and Oscar have been sniffing around him. If he wants to break America then Golden Boy wouldn’t be a bad move for him. Just keep him away from the Mexican training camps and the meat :winking:

Sounds like the circus is about to come back into town instead this time it will be boxing with 8 corners rather than 4.

Rumours are it’s in advance talks for Mayweather v McGregor 2 and it will be essentially boxing in the octagon.

Frank claiming a big announcement tomorrow the biggest of the year he reckons.

So my money is on my prediction of GGG v BJS earlier on in the thread.

Either that or Tyson Fury’s comeback.

Sounds like the circus is about to come back into town instead this time it will be boxing with 8 corners rather than 4.

Rumours are it’s in advance talks for Mayweather v McGregor 2 and it will be essentially boxing in the octagon.

Yeah, this is weird. Not really sure of the point TBH. We know Floyd schools McGregor under Queensbury rules, what's the benefit of changing the shape of the ring. I didn't mind their first encounter too much, as I treated it for what it was; a glorified exhibition. This is just too blatant of a money making scheme.

Frank claiming a big announcement tomorrow the biggest of the year he reckons.

So my money is on my prediction of GGG v BJS earlier on in the thread.

Either that or Tyson Fury’s comeback.

Frank's got previous for announcing a big announcement, only for it to be underwhelming. If it's either of those two, I'd be fairly happy though.

EDIT: Actually, a double bill of BJS vs GGG, & Tyson's comeback, Would be exceptional

:hilarious:yeah sorry I knew that. Should probably have been clearer, any guesses who it might be?

:winking:

Knowing Tyson, it could literally be anybody. It's more than likely going to be a no-hoper, to ease him back in. I'd assume a Latvian cab driver, or an Estonian bin man. Shannon Briggs' name has cropped up here & there, although I'd say that is highly unlikely for June.

IIRC, a while back, I wrote a detailed route, explaining what I'd like to see from Fury over the next 12-18 months, in the build-up to the inevitable Mega Fight with AJ. Can't find it now. Anyway, In the build up to that fight, I'd like to see the levels of his opponents get better. Wouldn't mind seeing him in with the likes of Ruslan Chagaev, Manuel Charr, Bermaine Stiverne, and Dominic Brezeale.

Ah yeah! The Mac is back!!

Tyson Fury getting back in the ring on June 9th. Absolutely made my day!
Used to love the bloke but would not cross the road to see him now because off all the filth and bile that came out his mouth , hope he gets beaten every time .

Doesn’t matter what you think of the bloke he is a bloody good boxer.

Can't argue there Ricey, He was a good boxer before the Coke and the ban.

Used to love the bloke but would not cross the road to see him now because off all the filth and bile that came out his mouth , hope he gets beaten every time .

Agree with you there sosbourne, He makes me want to hate him, For his ability I want to like him, for his personality I hate him! I just hope the Joshua fight comes round quickly and hopefully Joshua will make mincemeat of him and he shuts the F up!

Doesn’t matter what you think of the bloke he is a bloody good boxer.

And that is what the wider media totally ignore. Every boxing fan wants to see him back as you want to see the best facing the best. He's said stupid things but so has Joshua without the spotlight relentlessly put on them.

Can't argue there Ricey, He was a good boxer before the Coke and the ban.

Agree with you there sosbourne, He makes me want to hate him, For his ability I want to like him, for his personality I hate him! I just hope the Joshua fight comes round quickly and hopefully Joshua will make mincemeat of him and he shuts the F up!

Joshua won’t ‘Make mincemeat of him’, Fury is a world class boxer and will outbox Joshua with ease.

Tyson might not have said the nicest of things at times but neither has the golden boy Joshua. Racist and sexist remarks that have been swiftly swept under the carpet. Drug dealing in his past. Yeah he’s a great role model!

Back