• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Funniest Comedians

To counter the other thread, fave or funniest comedians you have seen.

Bill Bailey
Kevin Bridges
Lee Evans

Also used to love Dave Allen’s stories, but never saw him live.
I did get to see him live - at the Dominion in Tottenham Court Road (with thanks to Tangled Up In Blue who got the tickets) in '91. He was fantastic. I can still recall a couple of sketches which I really enjoyed - though I'll spare you my efforts at a re-tell as I know it wouldn't quite work here.

I think it may have been on the 'unfunny comedians' thread that Yorkshire Blue noted that it was best to see a stand-up live to gauge how funny/unfunny they are. In my case, a young Stewart Lee at The Plough at Clapham Common in '91. He was superb.

I’ve seen Lee Evan’s entire career live . Shakey start. Got going. Hit that purple patch for nearly ten years. thought he might make it in Hollywood.. did a couple of very big films..
But the live shows started to Peter out and he bailed at exactly the right time.
Would expect to see him back on TV soon after he has enjoyed his well earned sabbatical .
Hopefully in a decent series as the main character , or a Netflix type thing.
Please god not a soap

Norm McDonald (RIP) was hilarious for a Yank.

Norm will always be a legendary figure, and is sadly missed by all except OJ and the Clintons. My other favourite American standup is also no longer with us, the great Rodney Dangerfield. Sadly, he never gets the respect he deserves.

Ricky Gervais - Fame tour
Frankie Boyle - Back in his mock the week days SAVAGE!
Jim jeffries - Big fan
Dave Chapelle - Nobody tells a story like him.
Jeff Innocent - The smallest name on here but a very funny guy.
Frank Skinner - underrated as a stand up imo.

Last edited:
Ken Dodd (RIP)
Morecambe and Wise (RIP)
Dave Allen (RIP)
Tommy Cooper (RIP)
Billy Connolly
Lenny Henry

Seen all live (yes I am old)
Even I've seen Dave Allen & Billy Connolly live (and as you know) I'v been out of the country for quite some time.FWIW I'd also add Rowan Atkinson to your list ,who in his early days, was an excellent stand up comedian.

Even I've seen Dave Allen & Billy Connolly live (and as you know) I'v been out of the country for quite some time.FWIW I'd also add Rowan Atkinson to your list ,who in his early days, was an excellent stand up comedian.
Very much agree on Rowan Atkinson. I didn't see him live, but have 'Live in Belfast' on vinyl which is superb.

Strangely enough I actually really liked Michael Barrymore in his height and found him to be very quick witted
Saw him in 2 successive years early 80's at Cliffs Pavillion. The 2nd time his repertoire was the same as the previous year. Lost interest after that.

Ricky Gervais.
Lee Mack.
Sean Locke RIP (Moths - just hilarious)

Have to throw an old relative into the hat - Mike Yarwood. RIP

Last edited:
Jethro.
The young version of Jim Davidson.
Victoria Wood (RIP).
Bob Monkhouse (RIP).
Joyce Grenfell (RIP - one for the very oldies amongst you).

And more up to date:
Tim Vine.
Sean Locke (RIP).
Sarah Millican.
Joe Lycett.
James Acaster.

We also saw Ninia Benjamin at the Joker Club on that fund raiser night and thought she was hilarious - very blue, but dead funny.

Ricky Gervais - Fame tour
Frankie Boyle - Back in his mock the week days SAVAGE!
Jim jeffries - Big fan
Dave Chapelle - Nobody tells a story like him.
Jeff Innocent - The smallest name on here but a very funny guy.
Frank Skinner - underrated as a stand up imo.

Nice one Ricky, love the Jeff innocent video,he’s now got a new fan.

Norm will always be a legendary figure, and is sadly missed by all except OJ and the Clintons. My other favourite American standup is also no longer with us, the great Rodney Dangerfield. Sadly, he never gets the respect he deserves.
Rodney Dangerfied elevated Caddyshack to a classic.

Back