• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Think I read somewhere that our annual wage budget is £2million, so yes a massive sum for a club our size.

Quite a bit needs to be invested in Roots Hall in my opinion, the place is falling down. Obviously no big projects but a lot of maintaining.

Worth taking to the next fans forum meeting? I don't know if any of the proposed voluntary work got done so there's going to be loads of stuff that needs attention.

Not to mention the fact that £2m (if it is indeed that much) will go straight into keeping the club running for another few months. We are on the breadline and cannot spare money for transfers.

Stop making it out we are in a miserable financial state. We can spare money, like £15k on Bolger, big wages on players like Noel hunt. We also payed a small fee on McLaughlin. We spent over £1m on a dome. Things aren't great of course, but compared to a lot of other clubs were getting along okay. That £2m would keep us running for at least a whole season if not two seasons.

I'll wait until these guys have actually had successful trials, accepted our contract offer, and made it to the first match of the season without getting injured before getting too excited.

I personally would be a little worried if we suddenly start paying fees and large salaries for players given the probable finances at our club. I fully expect us to build our team with out-of-contract players, those available on free transfers, and some very cheap transfers from non-league clubs.

Think I read somewhere that our annual wage budget is £2million, so yes a massive sum for a club our size.

Quite a bit needs to be invested in Roots Hall in my opinion, the place is falling down. Obviously no big projects but a lot of maintaining.

Yes but its how much we lose each month thats important. Last I heard it was under 100k a month, so a 2 million income would keep us afloat for some time.

Our wage budget may be a lot, but we do have income to pay most of that.

Im just a little bit interested in the cost and value equation. Especially if supporters and clubs had access to more info. Lets take for example the difference between paying 50k for a lower league player as to getting one in on a free
What if there was research that looked at 500 players bought for frees and 500 where a 5ok fee was paid. Say the research also laid out a range of acceptable variants around success criterion
We would then know on the balance of at least probabilities whether it was actually worth stomping up 50k. ? Useful info for Managers/Chairman/ Sometimes this stuff is available on Football league sites, but the research in the main seems limited.
Sometime Ago I was fortunate enough to be involved in research design and implementation of small scale projects with Dartington Research centre and learned the value of outcome oriented research. Just be interesting to know if you got more value ultimately for free transfers at this level than whether it worked better if you paid out your £50k?

Im just a little bit interested in the cost and value equation. Especially if supporters and clubs had access to more info. Lets take for example the difference between paying 50k for a lower league player as to getting one in on a free
What if there was research that looked at 500 players bought for frees and 500 where a 5ok fee was paid. Say the research also laid out a range of acceptable variants around success criterion
We would then know on the balance of at least probabilities whether it was actually worth stomping up 50k. ? Useful info for Managers/Chairman/ Sometimes this stuff is available on Football league sites, but the research in the main seems limited.
Sometime Ago I was fortunate enough to be involved in research design and implementation of small scale projects with Dartington Research centre and learned the value of outcome oriented research. Just be interesting to know if you got more value ultimately for free transfers at this level than whether it worked better if you paid out your £50k?

The trouble is that paying another club a transfer fee is only 1 part of a complex equation that also includes wages/bonuses and, importantly, signing-on fees.

So a player who costs us 'nothing' could be far more expensive to bring in than one we pay a transfer fee for.

Your knowledge in this area sounds far greater than mine ........ but wouldn't that research just tell you the probability of getting better value over a given number of transfers ........ and not tell you whether any individual player was worth a fee or not ...... and thus leaving it down to the manager's intuition again?

I don't think we did, think he was a free agent after we'd initially had him on loan.

If I recall correctly there was chatter at the time (on the Yahoo group?) that we were paying Grays £30k instead of £50k as we'd informally agreed with their chairman when he was loaned to us with a view to a permanent move.

Reports of the day were a bit vague and either referred to "an undisclosed fee", or "less than £50k".

Too many variants because of the bosman ruling.

Look at our team, two players recently left on free transfers Bentley and Payne. You would not be able to replace either for 50k. Admittedly due to age we will get money, but the same thing applies, players leave lower league clubs on free contracts to move to bigger clubs.

On the other end of the scale Weston left, and I wouldnt mind betting we can find better for nothing.

Demetriou was free and I think will be a good signing for us, would we have got better elsewhere for 50k? Doubt with his level of experience.

How much did we pay Grays for Freddie? Anyone know?

We paid £40k with a sell on clause that was never written into the transfer contract. We then sold Freddy for £1.5m, Grays asked for money, Ron told them that they weren't due anything and Grays claimed they had a 'gentlemans agreement'. All a bit bizarre, but typically Southend.

I think £2m would keep us running for a couple of seasons rather than a few months, hope we arent losing quite that much :smile:

Didn't someone on here mention that we're losing £100k pr month ? Also that we need average home gates of 5,500 to break even.
Mr Bentley, Mr Payne money (eventually), will be v.v.useful :thumbsup:

Didn't someone on here mention that we're losing £100k pr month ? Also that we need average home gates of 5,500 to break even.
Mr Bentley, Mr Payne money (eventually), will be v.v.useful :thumbsup:

I think at one point when Tara Brady was involved we were losing around 100k per month, but have since shored up to the point of nearly breaking even.

Im sure that having say £750k+ for Bentley and around £300k for Payne will be a huge help to finances as will actually starting fossetts farm. Who knows if Iorfa goes for big money we could get another nice pay out their as well.

I think that actual gate needed was an average of 8000 per match to break even which I believe if we have a good season is not unachievable. There will be some very healthy away support this season.

There are still a good few teams in our division that have much better facilities and seasons and are well behind us in terms of gates etc.

Things could be better , but they could be a hell of a lot worse.

I think at one point when Tara Brady was involved we were losing around 100k per month, but have since shored up to the point of nearly breaking even.

Im sure that having say £750k+ for Bentley and around £300k for Payne will be a huge help to finances as will actually starting fossetts farm. Who knows if Iorfa goes for big money we could get another nice pay out their as well.

I think that actual gate needed was an average of 8000 per match to break even which I believe if we have a good season is not unachievable. There will be some very healthy away support this season.

There are still a good few teams in our division that have much better facilities and seasons and are well behind us in terms of gates etc.

Things could be better , but they could be a hell of a lot worse.

The club want to Target 8000 this season and, as Tommy says, we should get better away gates this year.

The Supporter's Group will assist the club going forward.

If I recall correctly there was chatter at the time (on the Yahoo group?) that we were paying Grays £30k instead of £50k as we'd informally agreed with their chairman when he was loaned to us with a view to a permanent move.

Reports of the day were a bit vague and either referred to "an undisclosed fee", or "less than £50k".

We paid £40k with a sell on clause that was never written into the transfer contract. We then sold Freddy for £1.5m, Grays asked for money, Ron told them that they weren't due anything and Grays claimed they had a 'gentlemans agreement'. All a bit bizarre, but typically Southend.

I stand corrected, couldn't remember myself but went with what I could find online - which was obviously wrong!

Unsure if already mentioned but an unreliable twitter source has stated Rotherham are leading Bradford in the chase to sign Franck Moussa... probably complete BS but would be a shame to miss out

Last edited:
Unsure if already mentioned but an unreliable twitter sour e has stated Rotherham are leading Bradford in the chase to sign Franck Moussa... probably complete BS but would be a shame to miss out

I'd be gutted if we missed out on Moussa, and it looks like we will.

I'd be gutted if we missed out on Moussa, and it looks like we will.

I'd be gutted if we miss out on a fit Franck Moussa, but he's now a player that has to have very special treatment to stay fit. His contract at Charlton was terminated after his last injury hit season. I think he's destined to be out injured in a lot of games now as I've been told one of his knees is very bad. So it might not be such a loss.

Annual wage is nearer £1.25-£1.5m I think.

I'd be gutted if we miss out on a fit Franck Moussa, but he's now a player that has to have very special treatment to stay fit. His contract at Charlton was terminated after his last injury hit season. I think he's destined to be out injured in a lot of games now as I've been told one of his knees is very bad. So it might not be such a loss.

Very true, his fitness could definitely be an issue. As you said if fully fit, he would be a decent player in this league.

Back