• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The man up front we need for next season is James Hanson of bury I think now, the old Bradford forward, completey wasted at bury this season, will cost a fee but he could be our 20 goal a season forward we need, Cox would benefit also from playing up front along side him, I think a few clubs might be interested in him when season finishes.

and desperate to re-locate to the other end of the country, no doubt.

The man up front we need for next season is James Hanson of bury I think now, the old Bradford forward, completey wasted at bury this season, will cost a fee but he could be our 20 goal a season forward we need, Cox would benefit also from playing up front along side him, I think a few clubs might be interested in him when season finishes.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Bop.

Always been a great striker in the lower leagues. People are knocking this choice slightly but I can understand why you suggested him. The thing is, if you ask the question, what big number 9 do you want that we can afford? Who can you realistically think of? Everyone keeps saying we need a number 9 (rightly so) but who is out there? A few years ago, you'd say Tom Pope, Hanson, Calvin Andrew, Tom Elliot, Akinfenwa and obviously Corr. It is a real struggle to think of people that are under 30 and worthwhile taking now.

Would like to think we will look again at the lower leagues. One interesting possible is Macauley Bonne ex Colchester now at Orient. He has scored 21 League goals in a struggling side. Still only 22 years old and currently being linked with a return to the Football League. Could that be one for us ?

Would like to think we will look again at the lower leagues. One interesting possible is Macauley Bonne ex Colchester now at Orient. He has scored 21 League goals in a struggling side. Still only 22 years old and currently being linked with a return to the Football League. Could that be one for us ?

Good shout.

I'd like us to give an opportunity to some top non league talent. They don't cost a lot, if anything and offer a player a dream shot at being a league player/full time pro. Two of our best ever players have come from that route. Tilly and freddy were top draw.

It doesn't always work but I completely trust that Powell will have a really good scouting network and non league through to prem academy. Next year should be a great year for us.

Not sure about the members of our scouting network or if they have links into Europe. Clearly shrimperzone members won’t have lots of knowledge of players in other leagues but still wonder if English football remains an attraction for players especially if they dream that it’s a route to a future in the Prem.

Lyle taylor is out of contract at Wimbledon in June and won't cost a fortune in wages, can be a match winner.

Does our recent 3 win and goals! make the close season decisions on who keep harder? SCP may have been unsure about some that have done very well. Namely J. White, MAF and Mantom.
Others out injured may have placed themselves in the injured/discarded/surplus group like Woody, Wright, McG.
Surely the decision has been made on the likes of Anton, Kiernon, Turner.

As for who to bring in? in past seasons we have not been willing/able to match other clubs, including AFC Dons, wages so I don't think Lyle is a starter.

I expect a smaller squad with less injury prone lads and more of a SE take on recruiting.

Yes - that is clear - a number of youth players (and indeed loan players) are not physically strong enough for this division ...... unless they have a mercurial talent.

One that fits this bill is Shayon Harrison - for me, he has something about him but needs another year or two. Elvis needs to bulk out a little and Kyps as well ................. but I well remember Dean Austin going to Spurs and suddenly turning from a youth into a man. Good stuff if you can be the club that sees (and develops) that potential. :smile:
Harrison is so lightweight, does just not stand up to the physicality at this level, can’t see him cutting the grade at pro level.

I would ship out/send back/cancel contract:

Smith
Ferdinand
Kiernan (if he is not going to be fit for start of next season)
Hendrie
McGlashan
Ladapo
Harrison
Fortune

Oxley
Coker
White
Timlin
Cox

That leaves 8 new signings. Be good to get a blend of youth and experience from level below and above...

with a bit of luck we can get Manton in the summer Even if we have to pay a fee to his parent club Its taken him a while to blend into the team through injury .But he maybe the replacement for Lenny we have been looking for he attacks and defends well .As lenny did

Harrison is so lightweight, does just not stand up to the physicality at this level, can’t see him cutting the grade at pro level.

I would ship out/send back/cancel contract:

Smith
Ferdinand
Kiernan (if he is not going to be fit for start of next season)
Hendrie
McGlashan
Ladapo
Harrison
Fortune

Oxley
Coker
White
Timlin
Cox

That leaves 8 new signings. Be good to get a blend of youth and experience from level below and above...

You can't just cancel some ones contract because they have been injured or not played as well as you hoped. Even if we pay them off then that will mean less to spend on next seasons budget.

Not sure why Ted Smith is on your hit lift he has had a serious shoulder injury that needed operating on.

Does our recent 3 win and goals! make the close season decisions on who keep harder? SCP may have been unsure about some that have done very well. Namely J. White, MAF and Mantom.
Others out injured may have placed themselves in the injured/discarded/surplus group like Woody, Wright, McG.
Surely the decision has been made on the likes of Anton, Kiernon, Turner.

As for who to bring in? in past seasons we have not been willing/able to match other clubs, including AFC Dons, wages so I don't think Lyle is a starter.

I expect a smaller squad with less injury prone lads and more of a SE take on recruiting.

How about Will Atkinson or Adam Thompson.

What is an SE take?

How about Will Atkinson or Adam Thompson.

What is an SE take?

SE equates to South East, I recall David Webb always had a preference for players who did not have to relocate hundreds of miles. And SCP 's links ought to be more rooted to geographically SE clubs.

Why get rid of Fortune? Too old is he? Doesn't look like it to me! Plays well for 90 minutes against M.K. Dons and plays well yesterday.

I might agree to getting rid if there is an alternative striker available (and the budget needs to be freed up) but I can't see the reason for getting rid of him unless there is someone better to bring in.

I realise that M.A.F. doesn't represent a long term option for the club but there are potential contract offers that might be attractive to both him and the club.

Why get rid of Fortune? Too old is he? Doesn't look like it to me! Plays well for 90 minutes against M.K. Dons and plays well yesterday.

I might agree to getting rid if there is an alternative striker available (and the budget needs to be freed up) but I can't see the reason for getting rid of him unless there is someone better to bring in.

I realise that M.A.F. doesn't represent a long term option for the club but there are potential contract offers that might be attractive to both him and the club.

Someone also mentioned that during the game yesterday he seemed to have been "coaching" some of the younger players. Why not give him a more defined player/coach role next season. I could think of worse mentors/role models for younger players.

He has belied his "age" all season and I am sure he would do the same for another. I would be most disappointed if he weren't offered another year.

I agree Harrison looks lightweight but some extra hours in the gym can sort that out, I think he's comfortable enough on the ball that he'll at least end up being a League 1/2 footballer so long as he's willing to put the effort in. I seem to remember Barnard was too weak the first season we had him and then looked a completely different player once he'd bulked up a bit.

I agree Harrison looks lightweight but some extra hours in the gym can sort that out, I think he's comfortable enough on the ball that he'll at least end up being a League 1/2 footballer so long as he's willing to put the effort in. I seem to remember Barnard was too weak the first season we had him and then looked a completely different player once he'd bulked up a bit.

i totally agree. I think there's a player in there. He just needs to work on his strength and physique. He's a skilful player who is quite simply being bullied out of possession time and time again at the moment. But compare Michael Kightly as the teenage lad we had when he broke into the first team, to the key player we signed last summer. He's obviously improved in all areas of his game but physically he's a man now and much stronger.

Back