• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

7 clubs in our league now managed 35 signings, averaging 5 each. E.g Peterborough 7 , Blackpool 6, Coventry and Plymouth 5

'Managed' 35 signings you make it sound like they're the winners when actually they are the ones deciding they need to seriously rebuild their squads. Peterborough have been paying out fees so any club in that position will always be able to get deals done quicker. Out of contract players bide their time a little more.

We'll start seeing much more movement in a couple of weeks when players start to realise they don't have a contract past June 30.

Im not reading anything into it at all. But Cox is currently doing strength and fitness work with Jamie Douglas, Head of Strength and Conditioning at Southend as per his Instagram.

With the club pushing hard to sell season cards for next season you would think they would get a couple of really good signings in early to increase sells of season cards and give the fans a reason to think we can really push on next season but it never happens.Same old Southend who ever the manager is..

The window has been open a month. We have brought in one new player and signed up a few on new contracts and got some more of our youth on professional deals. Not bad business so far. Yes we may have missed out on a couple...but that's life. I am trusting the SCP (and his scouts) pipeline has people in it, and will bear fruit.

Last edited:
With the club pushing hard to sell season cards for next season you would think they would get a couple of really good signings in early to increase sells of season cards and give the fans a reason to think we can really push on next season but it never happens.Same old Southend who ever the manager is..

Which indicates to me that it isn’t down to the Manager .....

Im not reading anything into it at all. But Cox is currently doing strength and fitness work with Jamie Douglas, Head of Strength and Conditioning at Southend as per his Instagram.

Head of strength and conditioning?

How many strength and conditioning coaches do we need?

I hate to say this; but it's because we are Southend. We are League One, with a crap ground and a high cost of living.

We have, and always will, struggle to make signings, especially early. Unless you want duds!!

People have been quick to blame PB in the last few years, but it really doesn't matter who our manager is.

I am not sure how many fans will buy season tickets on the basis of exciting League One signings. Most fans wavering about getting a season ticket will not have heard of anyone we sign.

Anyway I thought Sam Barrett was an early signing that ticked the boxes, young hungry etc so I really don't know what people want.

The window has been open a month. We have brought in one new player and signed up a few on new contracts and got some more of our youth on professional deals. Not bad business so far. Yes we may have missed out on a couple...but that's life. I am trusting the SCP (and his scouts) pipeline has people in it, and will bear fruit.

You have no right being on this forum. How dare you talk absolute sense. How can I complain about this sensible post?

I hate to say this; but it's because we are Southend. We are League One, with a crap ground and a high cost of living.

We have, and always will, struggle to make signings, especially early. Unless you want duds!!

People have been quick to blame PB in the last few years, but it really doesn't matter who our manager is.

Sadly many want anyone Pete's, Derek's or Clive's. It is mid June for Dud's Sake

Dont get all the panic. Clubs like Peterborough always seem to sign up players early, but they have a few quid to play with. Im happy with what has happended so far. Key players like White, Turner and Oxley signed up, Sam Barratt has joined, looks like Cox will sign at some stage plus we are close to signing a new striker. Still confident that Mantom will join as well and no obvious signs that we will lose anymore players (Dru). Still plenty of time and lets give SCP the benefit of the doubt and that he is ensuring that he gets who he wants rather than last minute desperate signings

I am not sure how many fans will buy season tickets on the basis of exciting League One signings. Most fans wavering about getting a season ticket will not have heard of anyone we sign.

I can't speak for everyone but I was on the fence last season as to whether I could really afford a season ticket. We signed Kightly and the next day I put it on the credit card.

I think often its self inflicted and expectation setting.

In hindsight SCP saying he likes to get all his transfer dealings done early was unwise. Sets an expectation and here we are.

Thus far its been groundhog day

However at the same time I have faith we will in the end get the players that we need to take a step forward. So I find myself on one side frustrated on the other positive..

Back