• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

(sings)

One cat called Chicken!
There's only one cat called Chicken!
One cat called Ch-i-i-i-i-i-cken!

He gets my vote for Cat of the Match.

And this prompts a first ever post from me. This thread reminds me why I keep a connection with SUFC and SZ. Optimism, empathy, a sense of togetherness and a healthy dose of surrealism. All the best to Chicken and other Shrimpers' cats on sofas wherever they may be, you've convinced me to head to Bury to join in the new SCP era on Tuesday. All of 15 miles away for me, so I won't overdo the heroism..

Thanks, gang. The old boy couldn't help but have a laugh at my expense though. Just as I'd posted, "don't worry - he's back on the sofa again" shortly after they'd scored, he gets up and heads towards his food bowl. I'm torn between grappling him back onto the sofa and respecting his wishes - luckily he eats up in time and is back on the sofa in time for our third goal. :happy:

And this prompts a first ever post from me. This thread reminds me why I keep a connection with SUFC and SZ. Optimism, empathy, a sense of togetherness and a healthy dose of surrealism. All the best to Chicken and other Shrimpers' cats on sofas wherever they may be, you've convinced me to head to Bury to join in the new SCP era on Tuesday. All of 15 miles away for me, so I won't overdo the heroism..

Excellent, lancsblue! That is a heartening first post and wishing you well for that journey on Tuesday. :thumbsup:

Rob, having lost our cat of 20 years last week, I know how you are feeling. He had been with me from age 40 to age 60. I hope Chicken had a peaceful day today, aside from the 3 celebrations which I hope he was leading.

Thanks, FG. Yes, even though it's expected at such an age, it's still a massive loss. The boy's doing great, amazingly - fair play to the gear the vet put him in on Thursday afternoon. I'll be wanting some of that myself soon. Very sorry to hear of your loss. Like Benfleet Al suggested earlier, it's a tough one to adjust to. I think we often under-estimate the emotional effect of losing a pet. They're companions, pals and the object of that old devil called love. A great combination but terrible when we lose them.

Rob, we lost our family hound, Shrimper, last year - he got to 100 (in human equivalent years!) and then faded. He never got to a match though he barked at the bus just by the pier on two promotion celebration parades. Wishing you and your moggy well. UTB

DSC_1631.jpg

Rob, we lost our family hound, Shrimper, last year - he got to 100 (in human equivalent years!) and then faded. He never got to a match though he barked at the bus just by the pier on two promotion celebration parades. Wishing you and your moggy well. UTB

View attachment 5117

Aw, Andrew - how sad but so sweet too. Love the image of Shrimper giving it large at the promotion celebrations. I'm sorry that you had to say goodbye to him after all that time.

Chicken is doing amazingly well, actually. I'm beginning to hope against hope that he'll be with us for a little while yet.

Slightly worrying development here at Fort Nox though. Mrs Nox has barred him from independent use of the sofa as, to use her words, "I don't want to smell of p!ss after I've sat on it", and Chick now has a new (towel-lined) box on the coffee table instead. Slightly concerned as to the effect it might have against a resurgent Bury tomorrow night if Chick maintains his amazing bouncebackability factor.

Here are the changes in formation to the Chick suite.

1. The Mrs.' formidable twin towers at the back:-

Chick sofa defence.jpg

2. The new box to box Chick:-

Chick's new box.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff Chicken. have a peaceful evening

Thanks, enfieldblue. He came out of his box and watched some old episodes of 'Saxondale' with me. Mrs. Nox allowed us both on the sofa. It was a lovely family evening. Shooey The Wondercat was there too. And Mrs Nox, supervising arrangements. She didn't care much for Saxondale though.

I lost my much loved and faithful cat aged 21 last year. That final trip to the vet still haunts me, but I picked up two kittens from the PDSA within a week and life has taken on a new dimension! They aren't replacements for Suki but they are real fun to have around and they are certainly both Shrimpers fans. So, chin up Rob, life goes on, the memories are great but the best is yet to come for us, our cats and the mighty Southend United under SCP!

Aw, Andrew - how sad but so sweet too. Love the image of Shrimper giving it large at the promotion celebrations. I'm sorry that you had to say goodbye to him after all that time.

Chicken is doing amazingly well, actually. I'm beginning to hope against hope that he'll be with us for a little while yet.

Slightly worrying development here at Fort Nox though. Mrs Nox has barred him from independent use of the sofa as, to use her words, "I don't want to smell of p!ss after I've sat on it", and Chick now has a new (towel-lined) box on the coffee table instead. Slightly concerned as to the effect it might have against a resurgent Bury tomorrow night if Chick maintains his amazing bouncebackability factor.

Here are the changes in formation to the Chick suite.

1. The Mrs.' formidable twin towers at the back:-

View attachment 5118

2. The new box to box Chick:-

View attachment 5119

Can't view either of those attachments I'm afraid Rob, but best wishes to chicken and may his resilience last longer into the season than currently expected!

Yay go chicken!

Having lost 6 cats and 3 dogs in the last 20 years I know how you feel.

Lets hope he can carry on for a long time yet.

I love the fact that you love your puddy so much. I had to put down my beautiful 18 yr old boy at the end of November and still love and miss him. I held him until he left me and I had to make that decision which I know was the right one. I have a new rescue cat who hid behind the bed for three weeks but although now very loving, he will never replace my lovely little boy.
Just know that Chick knows that you love him... xx

Can't view either of those attachments I'm afraid Rob, but best wishes to chicken and may his resilience last longer into the season than currently expected!

Thanks, Mark - he's defying all the "don't expect a miracle" advice from that vet who saved his life last week!

Just remedied those attachments.

Back