• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A shiny new stadium and nothing to go in it!

Or, perchance, does wiggy not have any idea about the current financial state of Southend United (very few of us do, although we do know that the club is hardly flush with cash at the moment) and in fact is demonstrating a clear misunderstanding of the workings of a football club?

I think so ...

biggrin.gif

This is ridiculous. Wiggy has only made a post expressing his reservations which could become a good debating point, surely why this site is here in the first place. Threatening him because you dont agree with his views is daft. If everyone just posted about how great everything is it would be boring.

Mike, I have the 03-04 and 04-05 accounts to hand, thats about as far as my knowledge goes though.........
We made a 2k loss last year and showed a nett debt of 3.6M on the accounts.
So there is bags of dosh to throw at players..........

Ease off lads...there's no need to speak to Wiggy like this and to get so abusive, she didn't abuse anyone in her post and as far as I can see has raised some concerns that we all have to some degree.

It's a message board and it's about opinions. She is entitled to hers and if you don't like/agree with it then either don't reply or raise a counter-argument against it. All this "f%ck off Wiggy you XXXX you know nothing" stuff is quite frankly out of order.

The thread is somewhat provocative, which is what people are getting at. No matter how badly you think the club is run or organised, or the lack of signings many of us hoped we would see, the club is NOT aiming for relegation and we are NOT aiming to have a new stadium with low crowds. I feel that if Wiggy chose her words alot more carefully, most of this absurdity could, and should, be avoided.

I, for one, am content with the way the club is managing the limited finances we hold. Any disruption to this solidarity would be extremely harmful to the club in the long-run and therefore the present situation is favourable, at this moment in time.

Opinions are one thing. Continually posting negative points about the club and the manager are another.
I'm all for reasoned debate if another persons opinions are based on some semblance of knowledge and understanding about the topic at hand.
To continually slag off the players, the club and the management as Wiggy does deserves to have vitriol directed back at it.

I to am disappointed that we haven't made more loan signings, but rather than come on here berating Tilly & Brush for not getting more in and accusing them of not having the desire to succeed I realise that they know far far more about the finances of the club and whats available to spend and who it is we need to get in and in what positions.

If I believe that a person is talking bollocks and knows nothing about what they are talking about I have every right to voice those opinions and tell that person exactly that.

If Wiggy truly believes that the management, the coaching staff and ultimately the club as a whole do not have the desire and aptitude to succeed at this level and puts those views across on here then she should at least put them into a reasoned argument with facts and figures etc but to just post such an opinion because the management haven't been able to get the players they wanted in on loan for whatever reason does, IMO, show a complete lack of understanding of what it takes to run and manage a professional football team.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scrounger700 @ Nov. 24 2006,09:42)]The thread is somewhat provocative, which is what people are getting at. No matter how badly you think the club is run or organised, or the lack of signings many of us hoped we would see, the club is NOT aiming for relegation and we are NOT aiming to have a new stadium with low crowds. I feel that if Wiggy chose her words alot more carefully, most of this absurdity could, and should, be avoided.

I, for one, am content with the way the club is managing the limited finances we hold. Any disruption to this solidarity would be extremely harmful to the club in the long-run and therefore the present situation is favourable, at this moment in time.
So where did Wiggy say that the club was "aiming for relegation"?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Nov. 24 2006,10:26)]Mike, I have the 03-04 and 04-05 accounts to hand, thats about as far as my knowledge goes though.........
So do I.

But I'm not convinced that there are bags of dosh available for new players. I don't know why but something is just not adding up for me at the moment ~ maybe it's just a hunch ~ but demanding that the club starts forking out on "quality players" using hefty sums of money for fees and wages rings huge alarms bells for me; I'm just not convinced we have the money to spare, no matter what the accounts suggest ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Bloke In The Pram Shop @ Nov. 24 2006,09:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (scrounger700 @ Nov. 24 2006,09:42)]The thread is somewhat provocative, which is what people are getting at. No matter how badly you think the club is run or organised, or the lack of signings many of us hoped we would see, the club is NOT aiming for relegation and we are NOT aiming to have a new stadium with low crowds. I feel that if Wiggy chose her words alot more carefully, most of this absurdity could, and should, be avoided.

rock.gif
That is what Wiggy was implying by suggesting we will have no fans in our new stadium. If we stay up, we will have a larger weekly turnout because of the club's success to stay in the Championship.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D62SUBOY @ Nov. 24 2006,09:48)]Opinions are one thing. Continually posting negative points about the club and the manager are another.
I'm all for reasoned debate if another persons opinions are based on some semblance of knowledge and understanding about the topic at hand.
To continually slag off the players, the club and the management as Wiggy does deserves to have vitriol directed back at it.

I to am disappointed that we haven't made more loan signings, but rather than come on here berating Tilly & Brush for not getting more in and accusing them of not having the desire to succeed I realise that they know far far more about the finances of the club and whats available to spend and who it is  we need to get in and in what positions.

If I believe that a person is talking bollocks and knows nothing about what they are talking about I have every right to voice those opinions and tell that person exactly that.

If Wiggy truly believes that the management, the coaching staff and ultimately the club as a whole do not have the desire  and aptitude to succeed at this level and puts those views across on here then she should at least put them into a reasoned argument with facts and figures etc but to just post such an opinion because the management haven't been able to get the players they wanted in on loan for whatever reason does, IMO, show a complete lack of understanding of what it takes to run and manage a professional football team.
Phil , this is what makes for a good message board. People post their opinion , good or bad, and others reply. It sparks good debate and can sometimes show posters to be ignorant fools. If I get fed-up with the continual tripe served up by a member then I just ignore their contributions. The one thing we will not tolerate is threats against anyone for voicing their views , even if they are somewhat negative on a continual basis as only time will tell if they are right and everybody else is wrong.

[b said:
[b said:

rock.gif
To quote Wiggy's first line of her post.
"The management just don't seem interested in staying up"

Nuff said!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D62SUBOY @ Nov. 24 2006,09:48)]Opinions are one thing. Continually posting negative points about the club and the manager are another.

I to am disappointed that we haven't made more loan signings, but rather than come on here berating Tilly & Brush for not getting more in and accusing them of not having the desire to succeed I realise that they know far far more about the finances of the club and whats available to spend and who it is  we need to get in and in what positions.

If Wiggy truly believes that the management, the coaching staff and ultimately the club as a whole do not have the desire  and aptitude to succeed at this level and puts those views across on here then she should at least put them into a reasoned argument with facts and figures etc but to just post such an opinion because the management haven't been able to get the players they wanted in on loan for whatever reason does, IMO, show a complete lack of understanding of what it takes to run and manage a professional football team.
It's a football message board not a lifestyle and as Wiggy doesn't have a Batphone connected to Tilson's office what does it really matter if she has negative views?? What I don't appreciate is seeing someone get rounded on just for having an opinion that's different to the mainstream, that was my point. Read this thread back - it looks like bullying to me and not a discussion on a football forum.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D62SUBOY @ Nov. 24 2006,10:05)]
[b said:
[b said:

rock.gif
To quote Wiggy's first line of her post.
"The management just don't seem interested in staying up"

Nuff said!
Not quite in the same league as "aiming for releagtion" though is it?

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mcnasty @ Nov. 24 2006,10:04)]
[b said:

I to am disappointed that we haven't made more loan signings, but rather than come on here berating Tilly & Brush for not getting more in and accusing them of not having the desire to succeed I realise that they know far far more about the finances of the club and whats available to spend and who it is we need to get in and in what positions.

If Wiggy truly believes that the management, the coaching staff and ultimately the club as a whole do not have the desire and aptitude to succeed at this level and puts those views across on here then she should at least put them into a reasoned argument with facts and figures etc but to just post such an opinion because the management haven't been able to get the players they wanted in on loan for whatever reason does, IMO, show a complete lack of understanding of what it takes to run and manage a professional football team.
Phil , this is what makes for a good message board. People post their opinion , good or bad, and others reply. It sparks good debate and can sometimes show posters to be ignorant fools. If I get fed-up with the continual tripe served up by a member then I just ignore their contributions. The one thing we will not tolerate is threats against anyone for voicing their views , even if they are somewhat negative on a continual basis as only time will tell if they are right and everybody else is wrong.
Wholeheartedly agree Ken.

ps I did apologise in my first post for being abusive but at the time the red mist had descended
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

And I did hold off on actually making a threat, although I was truly tempted.

That's a joke btw
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What I don't appreciate is seeing someone get rounded on just for having an opinion that's different to the mainstream

Fully agree. The whole thing is based on opinions as none of us have all the facts. As McNasty says only time will tell who is right.

I dont think its fair to slate the management for not getting other loans in. At the end of the day we ended up with a bloke who was not deemed good enough to play for Sunderland. Other managers will not fall over themselves to help us out with "top quality" players, why should they.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Nov. 24 2006,10:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Nov. 24 2006,10:26)]Mike, I have the 03-04 and 04-05 accounts to hand, thats about as far as my knowledge goes though.........
So do I.

But I'm not convinced that there are bags of dosh available for new players. I don't know why but something is just not adding up for me at the moment ~ maybe it's just a hunch ~ but demanding that the club starts forking out on "quality players" using hefty sums of money for fees and wages rings huge alarms bells for me; I'm just not convinced we have the money to spare, no matter what the accounts suggest ...
I knew I should have posted with a sarcasm smiley.........

We are not brimming over with cash (I have responded on another thread where somone has said we have made s**t loads of money)

We have managed to balance the books quite well of late, mainly due to good form or cup runs (or both) but where as a cup run will subsidise a better quality player or two whilst in league 2 (250k extra on the wage budget plus 100k in the transfer pot goes a long way in league 2) in the championship is has to subsidse the increased wage bill

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Nov. 24 2006,11:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Nov. 24 2006,10:00)]
[b said:
So do I.

I knew I should have posted with a sarcasm smiley.........
laugh.gif

Yeah, okay I missed it! Phew! At least I know I'm not the only one then ...

wink.gif

Ok, all posts read and digested.

I stick by my views on Wiggy's opinions but what I will do is apologise to her now for my "**** off and support Col Ewe" comment.

I will in future endeavour to engage brain before fingers when replying to her posts:) (it was late and had been a long a tiresome day, that's my excuse anyway)

All I would ask her to do is please do the same and try and put her posts and opinions across in a less inflammatory and confrontational manner.

Yep. We've finally replaced Bentley and therefore filled the last hole in the squad.

I'm not convinced that we've got enough quality throughout the squad for this level, but short of getting rid of 20 players theres not much we could have done about that.

I am very convinced we are good enough to stay in this league, I haven't seen a good
footballing team yet !
Not only will we stay up we will finish mid table, with Bradbury back, the new midfield
options, the defence settling down and getting used to the pace we can again turn RH into a fortress.
I would go as far as to say I saw better cultured football last year. When we play on the ground
we are awesome.
I have continually suffered from neck - ache this season ….. Just count the number of
balls lost over the stands. If we stick to our own game plan we will survive and establish ourselves
in this league.
We can match the best. I'm looking forward to the rest of the campaign
However, need cover for Darryl

On your point about neck ache. I think to a degree we suffer from the Crouch syndrome at times. If opposing players don't give us the time on the ball to play the passes on the ground we all know we can play we revert to the hoof it over the top to Prince Harry and try and utilise his height, pretty much like Liverpool do.
Just wish he could utilise it too.???

Back